A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

10.30.2013

Desert Island Demands

What are your 5 most treasured items that you couldn't live without? I'm talking about items you would scream and spit out your dummy if they were lost or broken.
If you had to, what would you take to a desert island (family,friends, pets excluded)?

Here are mine in no particular order (they're all equally important) and looking surprisingly much smarter than in real life - believe me, they are very well-worn items.


1. Babyliss Big Hair Styler

I've had this for years - it was a recommendation from the mother-in-law who was sporting a very sleek blow dry and I knew I had to buy one. I keep expecting it to conk out but it's still going strong.

This one appears to be the latest version (it seems to have slightly different bristles natural boar/nylon mix as oppose to mine which I believe is all nylon). I had a quick look on the web and the original is surprisingly still available at several outlets at the same price, £45 as the one below. I'd be tempted to buy the latest one as there may have been improvements made to the mechanism which we're not aware of.

Babyliss Big Hair Styler


It took a little getting use to at first and I had a few tangle-scares - if you're not careful you end up with a mini dreadlock but boy the results are brilliant. A quick blast with the hair dryer until my hair is virtually dry and then no more than 5 minutes with the Big Hair Styler and that's it. Smooth and bouncy. Eat your heart out GHDs.

2. Bravura Dermaflannel

I'm still not sure how this works. Basically it's a waffle face cloth that you can use on your face and body. It feels as if it's doing sod all but your skin is lovely and smooth afterwards. It's far kinder than a lotion exfoliator. I prefer to use mine in the morning (about 3 times a week). You do need to make sure you moisturise well afterwards but boy does foundation glide on smoothly. I'd use it every day but I'm scared of rubbing my face away.

Bravura Dermaflannel


At £11.99, I would say it's damn good value. Mine is about 3 months old now and is ready for changing (nb. it has been washed in the washing machine many times - I'm not a complete skank). I would spend much more than that on an exfoliator!


3. Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place Foundation

I have pretty crappy skin - well I think so anyway so I ALWAYS wear foundation. To be honest I can't say I've found the 'one' yet but this foundation is the closest to utopia. The coverage is brilliant - excellent for covering pimples and 'filling in' crevices. And it does what it says on the tin, it's still there 12 hours later so that can't be all bad can it! And at £28.50 (plus all the free samples I can bag from the E.L. counter) I think that's pretty good.

I also have a great colour match - I tend to go ever so slightly lighter than my skin tone and then use bronzer for colour. Well it works for me and looks less caked on. I'm not sure why I wouldn't give it 10/10 maybe 9 1/2. I doubt my ideal foundation exists and believe me I've tried them all. Any suggestions welcome though.

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place Foundation



4. Tangle Teezer

Are these like Monopoly boards or what? One in every household? Oh how I wish I was Mr Tangle Teezer, he must have made a fortune. How did we cope pre T-T? T'would have saved a lot of tears in t'olden days. Again, I don't actually know how it works, nor do most people on the web it seems but I love mine - it's brilliant. I'm a bit miffed that I seem to be sharing it with the 12 year old son who gunks his hair to the nth degree with American Crew Paste (urgh). Might be time to invest in a new one and at prices ranging from £8 upwards well there's no reason to delay.

So to match all my leopard print purchases this season, I'm thinking this one and it comes with a cover...

Leopard Print Tangle Teezer


But then this very city chic looking one appeals to me too...

Tangle Teezer Beloved


Oh for godsake woman it's just a Tangle Teezer, but these things matter!

5. Colour Me Beautiful Teal Eyeliner

I need something on my eyes whether it be mascara or liner. I figure that liner has more impact as it 'fills in' the eye line. I wear teal (bluey-green) and no I haven't lost the plot nor am I a throw back from the 80s - well I don't think I am. I fall into the soft palette and find black is too strong. It kind of takes over my face instead of complementing it. I do wear charcoal grey sometimes but the teal really does go well with my eyes and from a distance you don't even see the colour.The CMB eyeliners at £7.50 are actually very good. Lovely and soft and they do have great staying power. That said, I was looking at Beauty & The Biryani blog earlier and am really interested in trying the Daniel Sandler eyeliner in the grey velvet. So the CMB one may well be turfed out of my top 5 - watch this space.

Colour Me Beautiful Teal Eyeliner



So that's it, my top 5 can't do withouts. Totally impractical for a desert island but hey they make me happy. What would you take with you?

Finally, I'm not a good blogger! I keep forgetting to take photos. Actually I hate having my photo taken. So, on a windy afternoon earlier, I remembered in all my dog walking finery and got Mr Sludge to take a couple of snaps. I promise to try harder in future.


p.s our chocolate Labrador, Bo is a soft palette just like me. He's not as dark as normal chocs and goes even lighter in the summer

p.p.s. those wellies are not mine - they are my daughter's. Just a little too Paddington Bear like for me but I'm having wellie-woes at the moment as mine are leaking. That's another story.

Until next time

Donna x

12 comments on "Desert Island Demands "
  1. You know I have thought long and hard about what I would be my 5 desert island demands. I started to think I was actually quite low maintenance but now I can see it's just because I'm fickle and chop and change products quite a lot. At the mo the products would go something like this Organix Argan Oil shampoo (thanks to Style at Every Age), Elemis Pro-Radiance Balm, Clinique Airbrush concealer, Mac Ladyblush (can use on lips and cheeks) and Maybelline Great Lash mascara. Am seriously thinking of investing in the Babyliss Big Hair Styler as I am such a lazy toad with my bonce......I just dry it off and leave....it might benefit from a bit more effort being made!
    You look fab in your pics....love your snood! What a gorgeous pooch too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely get one Michelle - they're great and so easy. Mind you I have quite fine hair so I need the lift. You look as if you have thick hair. I use to use the Clarins Flash Balm - is the Elemis similar?

      Can't beat a Maybelline mascara - my choice too. x

      Delete
  2. I only discovered the TT in July - where have I been hiding?!?! Have the exact same animal print one, which promptly got nabbed by the 6 year old who says it's now hers so I ordered the classic larger purple one. Love it. I rate the animal one as smaller & has the cover so good for travelling.x
    PS hate having my photo taking too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where have you been!!! The TT totally transformed my life (oh how shallow I am)! I get really big knots at the nape of my neck when I wear a scarf - it use to take me bloody ages to brush out. TT does it in 5 seconds. Think I'll pass on the animal print one - I know the size you mean and it's a little small. Thanks for pointing out x

      Delete
  3. That's it! It's time for my to try the Babyliss ...I've heard so many good things about it (speaking as a 10 yr plus ghd devotee!) Re foundation, I use Bobbi Brown and would probably give it 91/2 out of 10 as well. BUT apparently the Tom Ford foundation is amazing Nothing but rave reviews, so I think I'm going to have to give it a go. At €75 it's pricey however :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardly use my GHDs Helen. Think the Babyliss is kinder to the hair as it doesn't use such a hot temperature (although I stand to be corrected by any hairdressers reading this). Done the Bobbi Brown, it was pretty decent I found. I've also heard great things about the Tom Ford foundation but worried I'll be disappointed if it doesn't score a 10! Definitely think a sample is necessary before purchasing. x

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've also thought of trying the Babyliss since seeing it on Kats blog! My hair is so poker straight n thin its not funny! I need to get a TT for DD as she has super curls! I'm intrigued by your face cloth too! My 5 items would be St. Ives Apricot face scrub (have used it for decades!), Apricot Kernel Oil which I use as a night cream, Yves Rocher Cleansing Water, a No.7 lip crayon & a waterproof mascara! Can't be scaring the marine life with panda eyes! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hair is quite fine Andrea and I just love how it adds volume. Spend some Birthday money - oh I forgot you're all spent up after your mammoth shopping trip!!!
    The Bravura Dermaflannel is really good. I was quite sceptical at first. In fact when I got it, I thought I'd just paid through the nose for a face cloth. But it really really does work a treat. My skin shines afterwards.

    Now, Apricot Kernel Oil is something I've never come across so I'll be googling that one later x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this post. nice Hair styler having all new features in it and within budget.i think it's best product according to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete