$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

10.12.2013

Oh No Not Another Fashion Blog


Having followed far too many excellent fashion blogs for more time than I care to mention (and enjoyed every single stolen minute of my guilty pleasure) I've noticed that very few savvy style bloggers talk about colour and the effect it has on you. No I'm not getting all spiritual and deep, I'm talking about how colour can actually be ageing if you get it wrong or indeed if you get it right, make you look younger. Yes I said younger! Now that's got your attention......


I trained as a colour and image consultant some years ago and followed 'the rules' to the nth degree. As if my life depended on it. No room for negotiation, nope. And for 3 years I was as bloody miserable as sin. Ha, bet you didn't see that coming did you. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that wearing the right colours can actually make you look fresh and more vibrant but denying yourself the colours that you love, well, it's like never, ever eating your favourite cake again. A travesty indeed.

I remember looking at the different colour palettes (there are 6) and hoping I wasn't the 'soft'. Surprise, surprise I was! Soft, muted, sludgy colours. Stone, sage, spruce to name but a few. I mean who the hell wears sage? I nearly walked out of the course there and then. It was only the considerable investment that I had made that kept my bum firmly on my seat.


And so I trained, I qualified and I consulted all the while feeling a fraud because I hated my colour palette. Phony I hear you cry. I was! And then one day I threw caution to the wind and bought a bright yellow top (yep I sure know how to live on the wild side). And actually it looked ok. No one died. Alright I do have a warm skin tone (more about this in a future blog) and I did have a lovely tan at the time (always helps) but it started me thinking. Maybe I could bend the rules just a little, sometimes rather a lot. 

That's exactly what I did. I'm still glad I trained in colour. It's given me an understanding of why something works really well and why, when I bend the rules so much they nearly break in half and I look like poo. 

I hope to share with you what I learnt along the way and how I adapt naughty colours to make them work for me!

So just to whet your appetite....a colour that is seeing a bit of a revival....

Navy - ok not the most exciting colour but it's definitely around this season. We're seeing it in tartan, checks even boots and bags (I drool, I want). 

So, a plain navy blazer from Next (and just £60). How can this be made to work for everyone...

Lights & Softs

I'll keep it simple, blondes most definitely need to wear a light colour with navy. Mousey haired (me) likewise - for both we're still seeing oodles of nude tops around which would work really well. In fact treat navy as your new wardrobe staple - black is slimming yes but so is navy and it's far less forgiving on you - trust me on this!
How to wear navy if you're a light or a soft
Warms

If you have warm tones in your hair or skin tone then that good old navy needs an injection of warmth too - I thought I'd be helpful and offer a scarf visual that would pull the look together but epic fail! I was thinking navy with a corally (is that a word) orange leopard print. Oh yes it does exist - I have one from Marbella market that I wear regularly but that doesn't help you does it. So, the one below will suffice - it has warm camel tones which pulls the outfit together



How to wear navy if you are a warm!

Cools

For you ladies who choose to go au natural with fab grey/silver hair give that jacket an injection of colour....bright pink would look stunning. My mum always looks gorgeous... I can't wait to turn a shade of silver. 



How to wear navy if you are a cool


Deeps

Dark haired, dark eyed ladies are Deeps. As you can imagine, they have a strong look so can wear strong colours. In fact two deep colours together look stunning (I'm thinking navy and black combo for starters)



How to wear navy if you're a deep

Clears
And finally we have the ladies with dark hair and bright eyes - you know the ones, where you see their eyes before anything else and you're almost drawn into them (not jealous at all). These are Clears. Bright jewel colours, emerald, sapphire, ruby will all look devastatingly gorgeous.
How to wear navy if you are a clear

And there we have it, some very, very basic rules to get you started.


Thanks for reading, hope I've engaged you enough to stay with me. Back soon


Donna x

p.s. sorry for the crappy visuals - just getting use to this blogger milarkey. You can see them better on my Polyvore account (iwon'twearsludgebrown)



24 comments on "Oh No Not Another Fashion Blog"
  1. Hi there! great post with some lovely style tips, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look forward to learning a lot more about colour Donna! I will happily admit it's an area of my wardrobe that could do with some improvement! I need to be taken in hand as I so often play it safe x

      Delete
    2. And you always look so gorgeous too Michelle. Hopefully our chat about geranium red will give an injection of colour into your wardrobe x

      Delete
  2. Good first blog, look forward to more tips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Technical glitch...darn you Ipad!!!

      What I meant to say Lynne was thanks so much, I hope I keep you entertained x

      Delete
  3. Brilliant idea for a blog and I'm looking forward to hearing lots of tips .. still trying to work out which category I fit into. (that's the trouble with no longer remembering what my original hair colour was!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still like your yellow jacket Helen even if you don't!. Hope you will be able to follow the blog now knowing what palette you fall into x

      Delete
  4. Thank your so much for the Twitter follow & I'm so glad you stumbled across me! I've been wanting to get my colours done for a while now & I so look forward to all your posts & advice! I think I must be a warm?! Great blog & great post! Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea - I've been following your journey back home for sometime - hope you are settled. The new job must have meant a big change in the way you dress (well I'm assuming so anyway). Hope I can save you a few £s with the blog so you don't have to invest in getting your colours done x

      Delete
  5. Guess what? I'm a deep. And no one has ever said that about me before :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all about balancing the look Sue. So, compared to say Ulrika Johnson, you have a much stronger look (hair and eye colour) so according to the 'world of colour' you can do much stronger, dramatic colours. Black would overwhelm Ulrika!

    Interestingly white is a strong colour and I bet you look better in pure white than say a nude or a beige????

    I don't always practice what I preach though!

    Loved the hair bobble tip for the scarf trick by the way...I used it on Saturday and it worked a treat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - you do know what you are talking about. I do actually look much better in creams and whites than I do in darks and beiges. Much more striking and consequently I actually have a wardrobe of cream /ivory jumpers based on that alone. The sharper and cleaner the white/ivory shades, the more they stand out on me - hence the fact that I just bought two more ivory tops in the Whistles promotion. Incidentally, I love seeing blondes wear black. The contrast is lovely.

      Delete
  7. Great blog, I've been diagnosed as a spring by house of Colour so I'm torn between your warm and clear categories, leaning towards clear though as I've warm dark brown hair and extremely bright blue eyes. But some clear colours are definitely too cool for me, how do you account for that in your system?
    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Gillian - that's really kind of you to say. You know what, you're probably both warm and clear but one will be more dominant than the other. It's easier if you get someone else to do this test....ask them what do they see first, your eyes or warmth of your hair and skin. I'm betting eyes in which case you are a clear but bright warm colours will look fantastic too (eg. kelly green). Put it this way, I'm a soft, warm, deep. I have a blended, muted look (no dominant features - sob), a warm skin tone but on the deep side. I'm going to attempt to tackle this in my next blog post so watch out for it! Donna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always the eyes so I guess my instinct was right, predominantly clear. Looking forward to more posts, I'm evangelical about this malarkey so nice to find a fellow obsessive! X

      Delete
    2. Yep that sounds right Gillian. Totally obsessed with colour I am x

      Delete
  9. Some fantastic advice!!! I'm mentally filing through my outfits working out if I got it right or, wrong!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, you look fab in everything you wear. I love your bright colours. I can't pull these off so well but as the title says, I refuse to wear sludge brown. We can all break the rules with a bit of tweaking. That said, I think it really helps to understand your colouring and how to balance this with the clothes you wear x

      Delete
  10. Hi there! I am so excited to have found your blog! I 'got my colours' done about 8 years ago by Colour Me Beautiful - I was a 'winter' - I have dark hair, with ginger tones, green eyes, pale skin and freckles! I have tried to stick to my wee colour book that I got given - but there are some days I just wanna bust out a bit of cream lace!!!! Ha! I look forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karen Thanks for your comment, I break the rules all the time! You just need to adapt slightly (it might just be as simple as wearing a stronger blusher). Hope you enjoy my future posts. Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blog, was alot of fun reading through it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete