A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

11.20.2013

Does Your Wardrobe Really Reflect Your Style Personality??

I love people watching! I'm not a stalker, really I'm not, I just love pigeon holing people....whether it be into their colour palette, body shape (favourite past time on the beach as you can really see the shape of someone - oh god I do sound pervy now) or working out their style personality. Yes really, your style says a lot about you and it's your personality that dictates how you dress.

The thing is, most of us go through our lives without giving this a second thought so why put a name to it? Well, I think if you understand your own style preference, you can build a cohesive and versatile wardrobe that suits your lifestyle and ultimately save those ghastly mistakes.

It doesn't matter what shape, size or colour you are, style personality comes from within. I mean a full-on-in-your-face-diva-babe is not going to wear a little love heart locket and carry a straw shopping bag. No sireee. She's going to find the biggest baubles to drape around her neck and carry a full on diamond encrusted leopard print clutch. Do you see where I'm coming from?

I've debated long and hard on the best way to help you find your own style personality and figured visuals are always better than words. So, have a look at the style boards below. The scenario is, you're getting ready for a Christmas party at a swanky hotel (it's not a full-on ball gown evening but it is smart). Ok, have a think about which outfit you would feel the most comfortable in (not the one that you like the most but the one that you would put together and feel really happy with). I've added a few notes as well to help!



If you shop at vintage stores, like nothing better than visiting unusual markets and mix your finds with High Street purchases then you are a CREATIVE. For you, shopping is an art form and you can spend many an hour on holiday finding interesting pieces of jewellery and scarves. You would be horrified if you wore the same dress to the party as someone else but hey that's never going to happen as what you wear is often a one-off.

Your style icon is Vivienne Westwood but Kate Moss can be a creative too in the way she puts together some of her outfits.



You are the one that has Grazia delivered every week. You will make a special journey into town to buy the latest pair of leather jeans that all the celebs are wearing. As a DRAMATIC you may not worry too much that they need dry-cleaning. You are the girl that can wear heels all day even though they are killing you because they look too good to take off! And as for jewellery, well it will be big and bold and you carry it off with aplomb and style!

Your style icon is Victoria Beckham.



If you love pretty things - bows, ruffles, appliques, patterns, then you are a ROMANTIC. You love matching underwear and always, always wear perfume. Textures will feature heavily in your wardrobe and you can can't resist stroking a beautiful fabric when walking past a rack of silk blouses. If you're wearing jeans, then a pretty top will be added to make it more feminine. Jewellery will be delicate with lots of flowers. It also takes you forever to get ready!

Your style icon is Nicole Kidman.



Your wardrobe will have lots of tailored pieces in neutral colours Black, navy and grey will feature heavily although you won't find much pattern in there maybe a scarf or two. You prefer shoes and bags to match and jewellery will be understated and classic. You prefer to save up to buy the best - quality over quantity. You very rarely wear jeans, preferring something a little smarter, maybe a pair of chinos and blazer. Above all everything will be neat, neat, neat if you are a CLASSIC

Your style icon is Condoleezza Rice. Martha Stewart is also a classic.



As a NATURAL you feel much more comfortable in jeans and a jumper or a top. You will either have worried yourself silly what to wear for this occasion as you have nothing suitable or on the other hand it won't have entered your head until that evening. You hate waistbands that dig and pinch and as for high heels, why on earth would anyone want to wear those is beyond your comprehension. A scarf is for keeping warm, not for co-ordinating an outfit and jewellery, well if you must....a small offering of a chain. You will probably only have a couple of handbags - one for the summer and one for the winter!

Your style icon is Julia Roberts (woohoo).




A CITY CHIC will have probably tried many styles in the past but now knows exactly what suits her. So if you fall into this style, you will invest in basic, classic pieces such as a white shirt, well-fitted jeans and a blazer but always look current. You never leave home without your sunglasses, even when it's cloudy they're on your head. You tend to opt for classic tonal shades but there will be flashes of colour in your wardrobe, maybe a scarf or bright red shift dress. Your accessories are stunning and are used to take a plain outfit to a whole new level. Think Italian lady walking through the streets of Milan.

Your style icon is Carla Bruni-Sarkozy. Claudia Schiffer also leans towards the City Chic personality


So have you found your style personality? You may see yourself in more than one category. That's fine, it means you have a split style personality. You may need to decide whether one is more appropriate for your present lifestyle than the other. If you see yourself in more than two categories then I would suggest that your wardrobe is a bit chaotic and no doubt bulging to the seams as you haven't found a winning formula yet. You're probably the person that says, 'I've got absolutely nothing to wear' because nothing goes together properly. As I said in the introduction, finding and sticking to your personality will provide you with a versatile and very wearable wardrobe.

Sometimes, it's dictated by our lifestyle eg. mum at home with baby may find it easier to move into the natural category (yes I was the one that turned up to NCT classes in wedge heels along with all the other earth-mummies in their Birkenstocks and hairy legs - it was 18 years ago!) but then when returning to work, she may become more of a city-chic. Some ladies never deviate from their style personality particularly Dramatics and Creatives - they would be utterly miserable in sweatpants and trainers.

What I find interesting is when someone consciously tries to dress differently maybe trying to emulate a style icon and in doing so is moving herself into a different style personality. Sometimes it works really well and as she embraces this new look, her confidence will sore. Other times, she looks awkward and uncomfortable. An example of this is me below trying to do the shirt/sweatshirt thingy and feeling crappy all day - I really don't do casual very well. In which case I say stick to what you know!


Anyway, this post is long enough so I'll leave it there but we'll pick up on this sometime soon as it's fascinating stuff (well I think so).

Oh by the way, for all you fashion bloggers reading this, I have identified the style personality of SOME of you. It can be a little difficult as by the nature of the blog you're trying different things but I have worked out a few of you!! My lips are sealed.

Until next time

Donna x





24 comments on "Does Your Wardrobe Really Reflect Your Style Personality??"
  1. I think I'm a Classic who now again veers towards dramatic? What say you Donna? Have I got my style personality right?? Can't wait to hear what you think I am!

    Love this stuff....so interesting! I shall be checking everyome else now trying to work out what they are! Great post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see where you're coming from Michelle but I think you could be more of a city chic. I would describe a city chic as an upto date classic with a natural twist. So this would cover your love of jeans, paired with your beloved Breton tops and love of fashion jewellery. Lots more to cover on this subject so hopefully it will become clearer x

      Delete
  2. I would never have said I was a "romantic" but I do love lace and fit a lot of the description you have written but I don't take too long to get ready - honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You obviously have romantic tendencies but aren't too obsessive which means you probably explore other style personalities too - gives you lots more options and looks x

      Delete
  3. I've had this done and I came out as a natural romantic which I'd say I agree with! There is some logic in it! Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a romantic classic and the diagnosis was spot on so I must say I think lots of people are a blend of two types. My romantic softens all the classic clothes I love with a touch of lace and a dash of bling. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And actually Gillian in doing so, you have created your own signature look x

      Delete
  5. I love your blog! I really do ... it's fascinating! I would always have said I'm a classic and certainly the 'neat, neat, neat' thing rings a bell. (although I do like to add a bit of bling) However, I was also drawn to the city chic ,,, although psoriasis prevents me from wearing lots of that (boo!) Now - unseal those lips! Am I right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I would say you do have classic tendencies Helen (me too) with the neat thing. A city chic day look is often a shirt, jeans or trousers and a blazer. It's the way she accessories the look that takes it to a different level oh and the confidence she oozes too!!

      Delete
  6. Now that explains a lot! I often "have nothing to wear" and you are right, I probably have a multiple style personality,that's the reason nothing goes together!
    I think I used to be a creative but then wanted to become dramatic(as one of my friends wears that look so well. She's the complete opposite to me,of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's hard to consciously change your signature look but perfectly do-able if you are prepared to work at it. To be honest both personalities are 'big' personalities so you will already have the confidence to carry off the dramatic look Evi. I'll do so,e more on style personalities soon, I promise x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't fit into any one category at all. I like bits from each but my wardrobe is good and quite capsule. I don't spend a lot on clothes and love Ebay finds for higher end items. I don't like florals but like pretty. I also like simple fitted plain dresses and high heels but like jeans with ankle boots or tucked into knee high boots. Long cardigans, scarves, pencil skirts. Smart coats and parkas. I don't think most people fit completely into any one type though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you, you've obviously found a great working style x

      Delete
  9. Back in the day I was definitely a Dramatic & in my head I probably still think that I am! I have probably morphed into a Natural without realising or tbh I probably mix a bit of both! Such a great post Donna & as always super interesting! Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha you probably are, I'm thinking your recent statement necklace purchase! It is often our lifestyle that dictates our style personality. That said I do resist the natural route as much as I can which often means I put a blazer on in the house if I'm cold instead of a cardi. Hubby comes home and asks where I've been....erm nowhere just cleaning! He often looks puzzled!!! x

      Delete
  10. I am truly a mix of all of these, it depends on where I am, who I have been hanging out with and how fat I am feeling! I think that is why I usually look such a mess, as I have elements of each look and then wear them altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your style Alexandra but your comments made me laugh xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your advice on my style personality thread. Really helpful post I'm definitely a classic although I do wear (smart) jeans. 'Neat' and understated sums me up perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome and the fact you say 'smart' jeans really does make you a classic. I can imagine you would feel really uncomfortable in a pair of sloppy, worn boyfriend jeans. That's just you being you and there's nowt wrong with that x

      Delete
  13. This is really interesting Donna. I am a natural, but I wasn't always like this. I developed arthritis 20 years ago & couldn't wear my usual shoes anymore which meant I lost my whole style. I am just about feeling like myself again.
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we move through a number of different style personalities as we age. It's recognising this that creates the stumbling block. If we can identify where we sit within the different categories we can make adjustments so that we feel more like ourselves. Glad your getting back on track xx

      Delete
  14. Fantastic post and a real eye opening. Seems I am Dramatic City Chic. Which explains that when I have tried to wear boho or casual it just doesn't look right on me xx Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes isn't it. I think maybe I need to revisit this soon. Gok Wan really annoys me as he puts all his ladies in high heels when I'm sure some of them are freaking out. All it does is make you miserable if heels aren't you. Thanks for your comments Melanie, I'm definitely going to do another post soon xx

      Delete