A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

11.12.2013

Half A Dozen From Atterley Road

Apologies for this self-indulgent post - I’m afraid this one is all about me! In my defence it is my birthday this week so figure it’s ok to do this one.

I can spend many a happy hour oohing and aahhing over Atterley Road’s offerings much to hubby’s annoyance as I thrust the ipad between him and Sky Sports to gauge his opinion on the height of a heel or the gorgeous edging on a jacket. His stock reply is usually mmmmmm or nice or HOW MUCH? Not particularly constructive.

So, in the absence of any sense at home, I set myself a fantasy shopping challenge of choosing just 6 items from Atterley Road’s current collection which I will share with fellow fashion enthusiasts - husband said, I hope it’s a ‘picking’ list and not an ‘I definitely want for my Birthday’ list. We shall see.

Anyway, if I had a few bob burning a hole in my pocket, this is what I would buy.

In 6th place is the Whistles Diamond Print Silk Sweatshirt


Now if you saw my last post about fabric, you will know that this is a straight cut and suits straight up and down body shapes (me in fact). The pattern is a little bolder than I normally go for but I think I could make this work a treat with a pair of cigarette pants and a very simple necklace to keep the look contemporary. I love the crispness of the print and the interesting hem line. The neckline looks quite high and this is something I have to be careful with (busty girls, you’ll know what I mean). Overall, this little number would sit very happily in my wardrobe. Yes sireeee.


5th place goes to the Des Petits Hauts Eglatine Jacket


This jacket is right up my street, I love how when fastened the edging is slightly off centre but open, it sits perfectly parallel. Ok the grey is not my perfect shade - I prefer a deeper charcoal but I can live with that. The edging is actually navy (and a sparkle navy at that). The pop of tangerine in the bag shows how easily this jacket can be paired with lots and lots and lots of colours!


Bit of a sensible option in 4th place, Day Birger Et Mikkelsen Day Outing Coat


Ok, I know it wouldn’t be at the top of everyone’s list but I’m in the market for a new dog walking/junior football watching coat this year. My long one has been banished to the charity shop and I’ve been making do with a random ‘old’ ski jacket for the last year or so. I’m not sure a warm coat can be seriously stylish but as they go, this one is the best I’ve seen.

I kind of visualised a fur trimmed long floaty number in winter white (Aspen apres ski style) but let’s face it, I would look a bit of a dork walking the dog in a boggy Peak District field wouldn't I! I love how the Day Birger looks as if it will fit snug on the shoulder line and the dip at the hem is sure to keep the bottie snug and warm. It doesn’t look overly down stuffed which can only be a good thing. But can I really justify paying £340 for a dog walking coat?


A well deserved 3rd place goes to the Nocturne Char Necklace


Such a pretty piece of jewellery that would be part of my wardrobe for a very long time. I don’t really venture into the pricier fashion jewellery that often as I’ve always been able to find something in the likes of Zara, New Look, Top Shop etc. However, over the last few years, I have bought a few pieces with birthday money (all donations welcome thank you family). What is there not to love about this little piece. The soft muted colours would complement many outfits in my wardrobe although Atterley Road describe the colours as bold and beautiful - I agree on the beautiful bit. Great length too. Love how the little stones look like coloured woodlice - is that too weird?


Second place has to be the Sam Edelman Shay Colour Block Boot I kind of figured you need to see the detail hence the huge picture...

This is so difficult. It was nearly going to be the Soaked In Luxury Rydana Shirt but it's just gone out of stock - I can't even show you a pic! And anyway I couldn’t not include these boots. No matter what angle you look at them, they are one good looking pair of footwear. So what do I love? The colour blocking (obviously), the black zip but gold pull thing (my son would probably know the correct term for this - he told me that the end of a shoe lace is called an aglet!!). I love the heel height and the straight cut at the top. But most of all I adore the fact that the heel and boot is one seamless piece of leather with continuous stitching from top to bottom. Just glorious!


And first place, da da da dahhh, goes to the Saks Crepe Red Dress


A nod to the sport luxe trend although admittedly not in the traditional sport luxe fabric - it’s crepe so not as relaxed. I fear the red will be too bright for me but I want it to work. It will just mean taking my hair off my face and a little extra blusher! If dresses were professions, this would be a multi-tasking global manager....I mean it’s casual, it’s dressy, it’s current, it’s well, everything really. Wish wish wish there was a picture of a model wearing it on-line so I could see the fit (I’ve trawled the web without success). Even a mannequin would do! The length at 94cm hits just above my knee - perfect. I have in mind night out coming up: black ankle boots (again), black clutch and that’s it. I wouldn’t wear a necklace - just keep it simple.

So that’s it my top 6 picks from Atterley Road. If truth be known, it could easily have been twelve (in fact much to my dismay I’ve forgotten to include the Beckondergaard Brown Wintertime Bird Scarf - a work of art in itself. T’would make a fab Xmas pressie (Mr Sludge are you reading).


I had a week at home last week and to be quite honest felt a bit of a slob every day (I don't do casual very well). So judge me if you wish...


The navy Reefer jacket (more a coat really) is from H&M and cost me only £39.99. It's since come down to £19.99. Honestly £19.99 - bargain! Here's the link. Most sizes still available. It does come up quite big so don't size up.

And yesterday, much more like me (I'm a jeans and jacket kind of a girl). I'm really pleased with this navy H&M Admiral cropped blazer. I've had it in my wardrobe a while now although until yesterday, it was unworn so can't find it on the website! (Nb the close up is to show you the detail on the collar - unfortunately my face kept getting in the way too). The black jeans I am wearing (I know you can't really see them) are pure genius. I'm trying to find a supplier so that I can introduce them to everyone. Still working on it.


Your choice next time....shall we do

1. Patterns - which patterns for your bodyshape
2. Style personality

Until then

Donna x
19 comments on "Half A Dozen From Atterley Road"
  1. You have fabulous taste Donna! Some great pieces on your wishlist, my favourite being the Whistles sweatshirt.....no surprise there I bet!

    Love to hear more about 'style personality' next........sounds v.interesting! I'm all ears, or eyes as in this case as we are looking cos it's a blog! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Michelle. The picture doesn't do it justice does it - I found it difficult to pull the images off their website but oh boy it's gorgeous

      Delete
  2. I've had my style personality done so would be interesting to hear your take on it. Enjoying the blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian. It's looking as if style personality is popular x

      Delete
  3. Style personality sounds interesting, and check out this link for a football match/dog walking coat, your post made be laugh, but I think great (bonkers?!) minds think alike!
    http://boutiquebootcamp.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/from-rugby-with-love.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuckling as I write. You did a great job with the fur! I'm now going to sit down with a cuppa and spend a pleasant couple of hours trawling the rest of your blog. x

      Delete
  4. Love your picks from Atterley Road but I think I would put the whistles top in 1st place x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Style personality sounds interesting but I`d also like to hear about patterns/bodyshapes. My closet seems to be full of many different patterns and I`m not sure about all of them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evi, I will be covering both topics in the next couple of weeks so hope you catch them. Patterns is something I'm sure most ladies don't think about - I certainly didn't before I trained. I found it totally fascinating x

      Delete
  6. love that necklace - hopefully the birthday gods are reading ;)

    Thankfifi
    thanks so much for your sweet comment.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful isn't it. I have a very generous family and have lots of Birthday money to spend. Tempted, very tempted x

      Delete
  7. Hi, love your blog. Its very refreshing so hear a colour consultant bending the rules for a change. I have always thought that some colour consultants stick too much to the formula when I have seen myself with my customers that you can change things up sometimes by just adding a scarf even if the jacket isn't right. O....and also you are the first colour consultant who has said that a change of hair colour DOES affect the colours you wear. I have been told so often that your original colours still are the ones you should wear even if you have gone from dark brown to gold blond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks glad you like the blog. I'm wearing head to toe black today - shock, horror. But I do have a brown gilet on that softens the look. I know black isn't my 'best' colour but hey no one has died yet! You definitely definitely can change your palette by changing your hair colour. A consultant that I worked with had mousey hair but quite bright eyes. However her look wasn't strong enough to be a clear so she was a soft. She dyed her hair a much darker colour and suddenly pow, her blue eyes dazzled - she was most definitely a clear! x

      Delete
  8. Great pics and those boots are amazing. Also love, LOVE that H&M cropped jacket .. gorgeous detail. And as I've no idea what style personality is I'd love to read a post on that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G aren't they. Just had the Michael Kors boots bought for me plus two other pairs this year. Just not sure I can justify these as well. But I will be watching closely for discounts/sales. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these kinds of posts - there's so much to love on their site and I often miss some great pieces. Loving the necklace and the boots the most. Happy Birthday Donna - can't wait to see what the birthday fairies brought! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a very lucky girl! Daughter bought me the most beautiful leather gloves and my son bought me the new Robbie C.D. - what more can a girl want! Kids pressies always my favourite x

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete