$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

12.12.2013

I won!

A few weeks ago, Avril at School Gate Style ran a competition in association with Kaleidoscope. Now I've vaguely heard of this company but can't say I've ever looked at the online shop. The idea was that Avril chose an outfit from Kaleidoscope and entrants had to add one item to finish the look. I was rather taken with the zebra loafers that Avril used, and they prompted me to take a look online. Anyway, I chose a long cardigan which complemented the model's colouring and City Chic look. Guess what, I WON! £200 of Kaleidoscope vouchers.

Here is the winning look...



I think the target market is probably aimed at the more mature lady and if you remember my style personality post here, I also think the lady they have in mind is a Classic, way beyond my comfort zone. That said, I was still really surprised at what was on offer. We're not talking high fashion here, but there are some excellent wardrobe staples to be had.

So this is my haul....

1. Fiorelli Large Hobo Bag



Slightly more mustard-y than in the photo. It reminds me of the antique brown one on the Massimo Dutti website last season that wasn't actually for sale (work that one out)! Obviously not leather for this price but wow, I'm really pleased with it. It's a great size and holds it's shape but doesn't look too structured. I can see lots of use in the summer with white, navy and black. A great holiday bag too. This was a last minute decision as something I had chosen sold out so I was asked to choose something else. And, I'm so pleased I did. Was £65, now £35


2. Colour block sweater



I took a punt with this navy and white summer sweater, I knew it would work either really well or look like poo on me as it is very bold! Luckily it's the former. It looks great teamed with white skinnies. I'm not sure the wider leg crops that the model is wearing do it justice although I totally get that she has been styled this way to appeal to a more mature shopper. I pulled out the summer footwear for a try-on session. It felt strange being back in sandals again and reminded me that my toe nails are vile and need attention but my white flat toe posts are ideal. The yellow Hobo bag above completes the outfit. Can't wait to wear it in 6 months!! Was £35, now £17

3. Tweed Fringe Detailed Jacket



A lightweight longer length jacket verging on coatigan territory. The colours are exactly as you can see in the photo, a hint of blue coming through, perfectly muted for my colouring. So far I've have only styled it one way - (see my photos below). My preference is to style it in a much more casual way than the model to keep it current. I think it will work well with double denim, BF jeans and shirt. Let's face it, it's a really easy wear piece of clothing and I'm sure come spring I will wear it to death. Only problem is, my 18 year old has her eye on it. We shall see! Was £85, now £42.50


4. Knitted Tunic Sweater



The colour should be perfect for me, I like the loose fit - it's similar to a Cos one I bought a while ago. The covered buttons down the back are fab and the sheer trim panel is that little bit different but it's not working!! In my head, I knew how I would style it (I have a pair of fab brown leather-look jeggings and gingery coloured heeled ankle boots) but reality is a very different matter. It's rather wide and a tad too long. Actually the length bothers me more than the width so I'm going to ask if I can swap for a smaller size in the hope it comes up shorter (can you do that with a competition win?). Was £45, now £39

p.s. I am pleased to report back that since writing this, I have MADE the top work by wearing with leggings as oppose to jeans or skinnies - for some reason, it works much better.

5. Short Sleeve Jersey Top



Now, this is a little beauty. How can a fairly plain top bring so much joy? I ordered ivory but I'm tempted to get the blue too (there's also bright purple). It's slightly looser at the top but fits snug at the bottom - you can just see the hemline band. Personally I think it looks more current pulled up slightly so it finishes on the hips. The material is excellent quality, a silky jersey feel. I searched everywhere for something like this to wear with a maxi skirt in the summer. And now I have found it! I want to try it with the boyfriend jeans, the fitted bottom should work well. Cross fingers they bring it out in more colour ways - nude would be great! £19 (it's not in the sale but a great price for the quality)

6. Platform Shoe Boot



I have a gorgeous pair of black suede shoe boots that I bought from Daniel Footwear a couple of years ago. I love them but feel like a giant when I'm with my smaller friends (I am only 5ft 7 1/2 by the way but my pals don't always wear heels) so when I saw these with a smaller heel, and at this price, it really was a no brainer. I love the heel height and the faux-suede front. For me, they would have worked better had they not had the snake print detail but that's just me being pernickity. Was £39, now £25

And that's it. I'm really pleased with my little windfall. I think lesson learnt here, never judge a book by it's cover. Kaleidescope have some real hidden gems.

I had a lovely, busy weekend of kid's sport, shopping and the annual village street party. Once again the weather held so it was a fab Sunday evening. For 2 whole hours, the main road is closed to traffic (by golly it causes chaos) and all the restaurants, pubs and shops set up outside serving food, drink and Christmas stuff. By far the most popular are the local Thai restaurant and Charlie Lawson's (Jim McDonald in Coronation Street) farm shop - he certainly had a red face barbecuing all those sausages. The church is open in it's full glory and the choir sung beautifully in their red robes outside. It is a stunning church yes? And, it's always warm(!)



Here is what I wore for shopping and then later for the Christmas street party (except it's the other way round in the photo -doh! Second outing for both the navy jacket and pink coat and a virgin outing for the new navy and black wedge boots from M&S (Autograph)



And here, I would like to say that I have styled the bag and boots in 2 different ways....in reality, I'm a lazy toad and couldn't be bothered to change over bags so both stayed put the following day.



I wore the new tweed Kaleidoscope jacket for a birthday lunch with friends (the small friends - I was a giant) and a quick trip in to Manchester all in black (rule breaking again). Very pleased with my School Gate Style scarf which was needed to break up the black.

Have you ever come across a shop that has surprised you?

Until next time

Donna x

9 comments on "I won!"
  1. Kicking myself for not entering the competition now Donna.....what an amazing haul!! My favourites are the gorgeous Fiorelli bag and the beautiful tweed coat!! How lucky?!! Santa came early for you! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - well done you, you got so much for your money! Like Michelle, I fancy the tweed coat and handbag too. You'll get so much wear out of them - and actually out of all you got - the shoeboots are great too. Congrats on winning! Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Avril. I agree too, the jacket and bag are my faves. x

      Delete
  3. Like Michelle, I'm also kicking myself! Wow ... didn't you do well? Love it ALL ... am turning an unattractive shade of green as I type!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Helen, the prices kept reducing so I had to pick more stuff!! x

      Delete
  4. I only think about Kaleidascope as a Sunday Newspaper catalogue, but it looks great, really wearable, love the striped jumper and tunic, well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alexandra that's it - that's where I've seen the name before in the Sunday supplements. It's been driving me mad. Can't wait to wear the striped jumper x

      Delete
  5. Well done you! I can't believe how much you got for the money Donna! What a fantastic freebie haul! Ax

    ReplyDelete