$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

1.05.2014

Is it spring yet?

I'm bored! I'm bored of pink coats and shirts under jumpers and embellished sweatshirts. I don't want to wear plaid or sequins anymore. I NEED SPRING. Which is all rather bizarre given we have only just hit January. Actually I feel like this every year, do you? I guess this is the problem when shops put out their winter stock in August, we feel as if we've been wearing it for ages.

So, let's have a little gander at what we can look forward to in the spring. I haven't formulated a plan yet, I don't know what look I'm going for. It's all rather organic at the moment, whetting the appetite and all that.

The first thing to catch my eye is a little gorgeous shift dress from Next. How fresh is this! It's rather a bold pattern and would really suit someone with a more dramatic look such as a Clear (a reminder of the colour palettes here and here). I'd give this a punt though, it's amazing what a bit of a tan can do. It needs nothing else other than a pair of tan sandals! Nb. tan seems to be a running theme in this post!



Close up the triangles actually look hand painted.




Yes Next! This pinstripe blazer ticks ALL the boxes. Call me boring but I do love a nice jacket and jeans, it's what I feel most comfortable in. And, I love the grey underneath this one - very, very city-chic. The length looks to be just about right unless the model is 6ft 10 and it's slightly nipped in at the waist. Oh I really don't need another navy jacket but I do want this one!!




I love the look of this Mint Velvet pin tuck dress which has been brought bang up to date with ankle boots although they don't appear to be online yet. An oversized chunky knit cardigan would enable it to be worn during the colder spring months. It would work equally well in the summer with flip flops and lots and lots of bangles. The colour is fab and as a Soft, I am very much drawn to it. That said most palettes could carry this off.




Staying with Mint Velvet, how about this drape knit tunic. The washed-look really appeals and I love it teamed with a lighter denim although I have a feeling it may well be much longer on me (the model is 5ft 10). I will be trying it on next time I'm in our local John Lewis.




One for ladies with warmer skin tones from Gemini Woman. This slim fit Inwear t-shirt in an unusual khaki-gold would be a real hard worker, dress up, dress down, your choice - the epitome of relaxed-glamour. It's a great colour for red heads to wear with a black jacket to inject some much needed warmth. I think it's one of those tops that looks much better on than off. Loving the sparkly detail across the top, just enough without looking too glitzy.




I've always had a soft spot for denim shirt dresses and this one from Warehouse definitely fits the bill, dark, distressed denim, oversized, a good sleeve length and breast pockets. Wear now with thick, chunky tights and ankle boots to update the boyfriend coat. I'm also thinking layering over a black and white breton long sleeved top.




Personally, I don't need another white (or variations of) top in my wardrobe but I do love the silhouette of the Whistles Meghan Crepe Top. A relaxed fit but still dressy enough to wear on an evening out. Whistles are too darn good at producing these little numbers.



The seam running across the waist at the back is so clever, giving it a little shape and tricking the eye into thinking there is a waist in there somewhere. And let's face it, ivory is a great colour for most ladies.




I'm really liking the Zara Shopper in tan (Zara call it leather??)



and grey (gorgeousness)



and navy



Actually I like all the colours. A great 'chuck everything in and go bag' - all 3 would sit well in my wardrobe. Nothing revolutionary in the styling, I've seen many 'slight' variations over the years but oh I do love the 'laminated interior' - their words not mine. OCD is in over drive - imagine how easy it is to wipe clean - baby wipes at the ready.




How cool is this cut out leather pendant from Cos. It's really different to anything else I own. Very contemporary and only £19. It's a great little piece for lifting eyes from the bust area. I'd actually love to see it in a tan leather too.




And that's it, a pleasant way to spend a cold and wet Sunday afternoon, sat in front of the fire, surfing the web. I think looking at my early picks, sub-consciously I'm looking to fill my wardrobe with more blue, white and tan over the next couple of months but hey I'm happy with that!

We have had a crazy 2 weeks, seeing ALL the family, lots of friends, opening pressies, a cheeky trip to the Alps and then another family banquet yesterday to finish it all off (and me). Here I am between Christmas and New Year wearing the dress and blazer that I blogged about last time. We were off out to dinner in Alderley Edge, a lovely evening, great company and far too much food and drink consumed. Biscuit and cake cupboards are now firmly locked in this household.



p.s. why does my hair look yellow??

Have you seen anything that's caught your eye? Ooooh do tell, I love to hear from you.

Until next time

Donna x




11 comments on "Is it spring yet?"
  1. I have that dress! Mango yes? I love love love it!
    I went shopping today (for my shop) but I can't (yet) get excited about white and Spring colours. Give me tan, navy and grey all year round!

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Warehouse shirt dress! Think this would be fab for now with my new tan brogues.....and a ton of thermals on underneath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your dress. You look stunning. I like looking ahead at the upcoming season too, but realise I'll still be in boots and scarves in April here int' Yorkshire Dales! Blue and tan are such versatile colours, Liz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't even thought about SS14 but seriously need to get my head around it! I'm fed up of overcoats already but do love a good scarf! I love the MV dress & its just the kind of thing I'd like to be wearing when the weather finally turns! You look fab! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am at a loss as to how to wear the new pastels arriving for Spring. I am a new Cool having let my natural grey out from beneath the red/ brown . Fine so far with winter greys plums and navy, but where to go next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a true cool, you could wear pastels with a contrasting colour. Your look will be 'strong' so maybe a pastel will not be strong enough. Try with charcoal, black, navy or even white (white is a strong colour). I'll do a post very soon on how to wear pastels. It can be hard to pull off x

      Delete
    2. Look forward to it, I am loving the advice you give in your blog x

      Delete