A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

1.17.2014

It's My Blog But Not As You Know It

When my daughter suggested that she contribute something to the blog, I thought 'oh goody, my first guest post'. Little did I know that I would be writing it myself, hmmmm not the general idea but hey beggars can't be choosers.

So, let me introduce you to my 18 year old daughter, Ashleigh-Jade who is currently in her last year at school studying A-Levels in Spanish, History and Economics. She thought it would be a good idea to inject a little bit of youth into the blog instead of the ramblings of a 4o+ (that's a very big + by the way) has-been with dodgy shoes and that's her description not mine.

We have such different tastes and very few of our clothes overlap, maybe the odd leather biker jacket but that's about it really. However, there's nothing I love more than an afternoon shopping with Ash, sometimes we go mainly to her shops, sometimes it's mainly mine and sometimes it's a mix but that doesn't matter as we both enjoy every minute of it. And these are precious moments as she'll be off to university later in the year so I'll miss my best shopping buddy (sad face).

I would describe her style as pretty, on trend and age appropriate. If you remember the Style Personality post here, Ashleigh is definitely veering towards a Romantic. She seems to have a knack of putting her own stamp on something quite plain. Our footwear choices may differ hugely but she still has a love of shoes just like her mum.

Ash doesn't have to wear the standard uniform for school. Sixth formers are required to wear business dress, that is, matching skirt and jacket and blouse. And she did...well for the first 2 weeks of lower sixth. Then just like her mum, she's probably broken the rules everyday since. Most of the time she gets away with it (there's no denying she looks smart), sometimes she's hauled into the school office for a reminder of the rules.

Ashleigh has decided to showcase a number of school outfits this week. I hope you enjoy x


Monday



The first rule about teenagers is they only wear 'going out' stuff ONCE! There's really no point in paying huge amounts of money for a dress that will be worn for a matter of hours is there? Ash and her friends are pretty good at swapping clothes, it's interesting to see how each of them style an outfit and make it their own. I also try to encourage the use of Ebay but as you can imagine, I'm the one that ends up going to the post office to send off the parcels and she gets to keep the postage that the buyer sends. How does that work then? This dress was worn for a Christmas Party and I was mighty pleased to see that Ashleigh has recycled it for school wear (apparently, it's ok for school clothes to be worn more than once). It's from Warehouse and is current stock here. By putting a white short sleeved blouse underneath and teaming with opaques, 'dead flat' ankle boots and a blazer, I think she's done a great job of changing this from a going out dress to workwear. The ankle boots are current stock from River Island and here is the link.


Tuesday



A little more casual today in a fluffy pale pink jumper from Primark. This has been worn many times with jeans so a great buy. At least she is wearing a matching jacket which also smartens the outfit! The necklace was from New Look in the summer and boots, River Island.


Wednesday



Like me, Ashleigh is a Soft so her best colours are soft and muted. In fact up until last year, she had very little black in her wardrobe and even less with bold patterns. My feeling is, youngsters look fab in anything so wear it. Best to make your mistakes now than later. Anyway, Wednesday's outfit is black AND bold and I think it really works. The blouse is from Primark (last season) with one of those detachable necklaces that I keep forgetting to remove before washing. She wore this with black jeans for a casual night out so again has been recycled for daywear. It occasionally makes an appearance! This is her favourite type of skirt, the skater, and is velvet from Top Shop. The shoes aren't Versace although she wishes they were, bought in Top Shop and are current stock. You can find them here.


Thursday



I love this dress which she wore on Christmas Day. I really do not know how she gets away with this one at school. Maybe it's because she smiles sweetly at the teachers and answers extra questions on the economic growth of Japan. Anyway, it's from Missguided, now sold out but similar here

Friday



Well given the fact that my daughter was still in bed when she was supposed to be walking the dog before school this morning, I suppose I should be grateful that she actually got dressed! Love the boots that she bought from River Island in the sale (now sold out). We had our eye on these for a couple of months so Ash was thrilled to see them in the sale (I think they were about £30). Everything else is old(ish). The grey jacket has a fine check running through it - wish it fitted me!

So, there you have it, a week in my daughter's life. I think she's got great style, but then I would because I'm her Mum xxx

Have a great weekend, I'll be back with a few updates on my recent purchases next time (it's not going well).


Donna x







20 comments on "It's My Blog But Not As You Know It"
  1. Being her mum hasn't blinded you ... she has amazing style .. and she's gorgeous too which helps! What a lovely post, really enjoyed reading it. My Madam is turning 13 next month and I have to say, I'm already enjoying the chat about clothes and going shopping with her. Daughters are the best x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. Since she turned 2 she's been dressing herself, fairy outfits with jumpers were often the norm! It's lovely to see their style evolve and so nice when you can give each other advice isn't it x

      Delete
  2. Love this post Donna- I'm so intrigued with teenagers style theses days. They are far far more adventurous than we were at their age, even the boys. I had a teenager say she loved my colour combo while out shopping on Saturday- I took it as a big compliment as they are all so cool and stylish these days!! Your daughter is a wee stunner by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaining approval from a teenager - wow that's the biggest compliment of all. Get you!!!

      I wish I had had as much confidence as a teenager as they do now x

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a stunning young lady. Fab outfits. Very stylish xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, she will be thrilled to hear that x

      Delete
  4. You can see your lovely daughter is taking after you in the style stakes! She really is super stylish! My favourite outfit is the tartan dress.....could I get away with wearing it?? Lol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Michelle she has far more style than me as do all her friends. Yes I love the tartan dress, so cute isn't it x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow she looks amazing. I would have her guest blog more often! You sound so proud of her and that's lovely to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is Fiona, getting her out of her pit to do the photos! And yes, very very proud x

      Delete
  7. Your daughter has amazing style and is totally gorgeous. Also giggling at how fashion goes across the ages - I have that same pink Primark jumper and also wear it with a statement necklace...guess mothers and daughters are much closer in clothing age than we used to be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, we can do young can't we! I really love the pink fluffy jumper, wish I'd got it too x

      Delete
  8. Oh Ash looks amazing! I sometimes get the bus to work & it goes past the local college & just the other day I was thinking that I'd love to be a teenager in this day & age! The style is so cool these days & much more so than the MC Hammer trews I used to wear! :O Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so do I Andrea. I love looking at all the clothes in Top Shop. They do seem to be able to put amazing outfits together these days. Mind you those MC Hammer trousers took some styling lol - did we really wear those? A lady on Twitter tweeted a photo of 80s styling yesterday. Oh dear, we were bad x

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous girl and what a great dress code!! We had to wear a grey skirt of any style in 6th form - that was the only real rule - but grey skirts were never easy to find!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it's great that they experience 'business dress' before they go into the big wide world. So far removed from 'our days' lol x

      Delete
  10. How sweet that you can blog with your daughter! Or at least from the photo side (maybe one day she will write too and then you'll get a little blog holiday).

    Thankfifi
    thanks so much for your sweet comment on my post.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wendy she's far too busy for that. It was hard enough trying to grab her every morning before school but we can live in hope. x

      Delete
  11. I love this post - you have a very stylish daughter! I would love to be a teenager now with fashion as accessible as it is (I sound ancient!!). I had my eye on those River Island boots but unfortunately they didn't suit me - they look great on Ash:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice info
    I liked it so much
    I will visit here again

    ReplyDelete