$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

1.31.2014

Women's Gazelle OG Trainers...Hit or Miss?



I said no way, absolutely not! I'm not bloody wearing trainers as daywear ever again. I did that 10 years ago when Trinny & Susannah told me to. Been there, done that and got the t-shirt.



Yes, yes I know, I've got the book, there goes any street cred I ever had.

And then I saw lots of lovely cool bloggers wearing their New Balance trainers and the likes. I tried to resist really I did but it would be foolish to ignore a gap in my wardrobe calling out ever so loudly. Ah says she so fickle.

Me being me couldn't just order the lovely navy or burgundy New Balance trainers. Oh no, I had to look for something different. And then I found them, Women's Gazelle Original Trainers in pale grey with a pinky-red tab. Perfect for my wardrobe which is in the main navy, charcoal and nude, perfect for the summer, in fact just perfect!

After receiving approval from fellow bloggers (namely Michelle, queen of all things trainers at MyFashionable40s and Joanna from Poppy's Style and Trea at Treasures N Pleasures) they were duly ordered. And on receipt I was most pleasantly surprised.

Having a 12 year old fashion conscious son, I'm not new to the Gazelle but have always found his (men's size 7) quite bulky and heavy...basically cut for a man. The ladies Gazelle is light, in fact one of the shoes weighs 244g, the men's size 7 374g and I'm sure this isn't down to sizing. And yes, I did weigh them on the kitchen scales.





They actually looked tiny when I took them out of the box which I'm sure is down to the colour but fit like a glove (I'm a 5 1/2 - 6 so pretty much run true to size). The inner sole is shaped giving great cushioning although of course these are not work-out trainers but would be great on a mammoth shopping trip. Anyway, I burn more calories shopping than going to the gym so it suits me just fine.



The flash on the back is true to the colour on the official Adidas pictures, kind of a pinky-red which I rather like and give them a lift. They also come in blue, pink (gorgeous) and black,


Adidas Originals Womens Gazelles £64.99








If you shop around, I did notice that some older colours are still out there at reduced prices.

A hit or a miss? Most definitely a.............................................HIT

So, what do you think? Are you a convert to the trainer trend? Did I do right not buying New Balance (I really like them and may have to do a little more research with my credit card for which I make no apologies).

I'd love to hear from you.


Donna

p.s. I haven't taken the label off yet because sadly one of the inner soles isn't glued down so they need exchanging (boooooo).

p.p.s. I'm much better at being a foot model aren't I (as seen here also). Chop off the head and body, a great improvement. Maybe I should rename the blog My feet won't wear sludge brown.










26 comments on "Women's Gazelle OG Trainers...Hit or Miss?"
  1. Ooh fab new trainers Donna I likey!!! I'm also loving the pink ones too. I haven't taken the plunge yet.....although never say never! Jane xx
    www.mymidlifefashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! Due to having narrow, skinny feet, trainers are the only shoe I find easy to buy. Could well be tempted with these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Love the grey ones, however I did them the first time around with flared trousers (also had the Trinny & Susanna book) as I was a mere slip of a thirty something am not sure if I would be pushing it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too, me too. Trainers and flares I remember so well x

      Delete
  4. These are so retro they have to be cool! I've given in, even at my age and ordered the NB's I've wanted for so long, I'll be happy to just walk around the village in them! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These grey ones look fab on you! I agree about the retro thing too! Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne, yea they are a little retro aren't they. Get me being with it x

      Delete
  6. Whoop whoop! Donna's got some trainers!! Love them...fab style and amazing colour way....you did good girl!! Thank you for the lovely mention :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love them so much! I remembering dragging my family all over London in '95 looking for a pair if green ones... I now have the men's in navy but adore this grey pair - I may need to pick them up when I am home! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are my first Gazelles Joanna, can't wait to wear them but it's soooo cold at the moment x

      Delete
  8. A Hit. Love the red flash against the grey, and definitely best worn without socks as per picture
    (I thought inner soles in trainers were supposed to be loose/removable rather than glued in? )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One is glued down and one isn't so I'm as confused as you lol x

      Delete
  9. I absolutely love these and would totally buy some but the suede puts me off - I have ruined so many pairs of suede shoes/boots.

    I want these in white leather - off to source

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I might replace my white converse with the leather version later this year for the same reason Fiona x

      Delete
  10. Great post thanks Donna, only found your blog a fortnight ago so have spend some time catching up. So, I love these trainers - BUT I'm a 44 year old 5ft 3 hourglass - I should avoid them like the plague yes?

    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no you must give them ago. Try wearing same colour trainers and trousers to elongate your frame eg. Navy new balance with dark blue jeans. Don't cuff the jeans as you don't want to break the leg line up. And as for age, get away with you. I'm older than that. Go for it!! X

      Delete
    2. Great advice thanks. I've seen and read so much about NB that I really want some, and now I have an excuse for new jeans too! kx

      Delete
  11. I love Gazelles! I have an old battered navy pair that I wore on a trip to Australia back in 96 & I just can't part with them! I have some Adidas ZXs that I love & are like clouds on my feet! I'd love a darker pair & the NBs do appeal! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thinking about ordering some of these from the UK because you can't get the old style grey gazelle in the US with suede (OG). Do you know if since they are listed as a womens shoe they are actually based on womens sizing? I noticed foot asylum has a mens version and a womens version and the mens ones go from like size 6 up and the womens are only available in 5,6,7. I was just worried that I would be converting the wrong size on the size conversion chart since I'm not sure it's mens sizing or womens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki I've just had a chat with the husband and we both think that you can't go from say a size 6 woman's to a size 6 men's. I've just found this which relates to New Balance but might give you an idea https://support.newbalance.com/hc/en-us/articles/212630218-How-to-convert-your-women-s-shoe-size-to-a-men-s-shoe-size One thing I can say though is that Adidas and Gazelles in particular come up small so size up. Hope that's helpful x

      Delete