$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

2.04.2014

Frugal(ish) February



Avril over at SchoolGateStyle has set herself a challenge; no new clothes this month aka Frugal February. A whole month, wow that is sheer torture! Let me spell it out to you, it means no new shoes, no little tops, not even a pair of earrings or a flippin supermarket scarf for goodness sake.

So I sat down last night and gave myself a good talking to - could I actually do this? It was an interesting debate, some good points made by both sides. I mean what would happen if I saw something that was an absolute bargain, 75% off plus another 10% for one day only. That would be a massive bargain, yes? But I wouldn't be able to buy it would I?

And so the conclusion was........naaaaah it just won't happen here! That's bad isn't it. You see the thing is I don't want to set myself up for a fall. I'm chomping at the bit to buy the blue Scuba coat that I blogged about here and a navy blazer still to be sourced so I'm compromising and doing a week by week challenge.

There are some caveats to my challenge

1. Gifts are acceptable and don't count as a fail
2. If I happen to come across an absolute bargain of the century, I mean a genuine once in a lifetime, can't be missed opportunity, I can buy it.
3. I can 'guide' husband to a suitable Valentines pressie

With regards to point 1 and point 3, here is an exchange of emails between me and the hubby:

Dear M

Now I know we don't buy for Valentine's Day and you're not remotely into things like diamonds but I'm on Frugal February and trying not to buy anything at all so you may have to buy for me instead. I like this in medium (image of Warehouse Scuba coat).

Love from your wife x


And in response

Donna

I love you too

Mx


I think I need to work on this!


In return for attempting Frugal Friday I promise

1. Not to fall out with the husband and make him feel guilty so he buys me a 'sorry' present (it use to work in the olden days)
2. That I won't check-out any purchases in my virtual shopping baskets. I have several tabs open on the web browser at the moment
3. To tell you if I slip up

This could get boring!

And if that isn't hard enough, I've also set myself another challenge, to pick out something from my wardrobe at random every day and create an outfit with it. This should be fairly easy as most of my wardrobe actually goes together. Problem is, I have lots of my summer clothes in there too. I may be very cold!!

So what did the wardrobe rummage come up with today? A flippin short sleeved breton t-shirt. Just great! I do some volunteer work on Mondays and Tuesdays and the office is soooooo cold. I had to wear a thermal underneath plus a cardi plus a jacket.



The navy-on-white breton stripe is from Zara (this hasn't fallen to pieces yet) and is old-old. The jacket is from H&M and I make no apology that it is corduroy (cord will come back one day for sure). I've been so impressed with the jackets I've bought from H&M over the last year. If you haven't been in recently, I really would urge you to do so. It's not all tat! Teamed with a navy and coral animal print scarf, jeans and my beloved tan boots which obviously match the door mat. The fingerless mits were needed today.



So, are you with me on this? Please don't leave me to do it on my own. Frugal February Week 1 started Saturday and I haven't bought anything yet.....go me!!!

Donna x

22 comments on "Frugal(ish) February"
  1. Haha! Love this post. I make no promises about joining in any frugal challenge, but have zero pennies at the moment, so will probably be doing this by default anyway.
    I also love the jacket - am with you on cord - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a reluctant participant! But it will do me good as to be honest I think we can get a little greedy. 3 days left this week. I can do this! I like this jacket too. It's a really good fit normally but a bit snug with 3 layers underneath lol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee Hee! Love your boots. And the door mat!! I have a Boden navy cord jacket very similar to yours which I love. Good luck in this challenge. Love Liz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice outfit - Love the scarf against the breton top - Good luck with the challenge. Its a short month!! Whilst I absolutely love womans style & fashion I am a typical male and I could go a whole year without undertaking a cloths purchase, haha. I'll support you by not window shopping for a month (eekkk the internet does'nt count though, does it?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The internet is one huge window! I do most of my shopping on the web. I really should try to avoid it but I can't. How could you go a whole year without making a purchase - sheer torture lol x

      Delete
  5. If my hubby bought me the trainers there is still hope you will get the coat Donna! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think by default I might join you ... although I'm not making any promises!! But with The Child's birthday coming up, a school trip to be paid for and a weekend in London on the horizon, I honestly can't justify any more spending this month ... oh, I've just depressed myself now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an expensive month for you Helen. Miserable isn't it x

      Delete
  7. Frugal Feb....already a big fat fail for me from day 1.....sigh!! Trouble is I did a budget challenge before Christmas so this will be nigh on possible for me as I feel I've done my bit...lol! Also, I am not fed up with my Winter wardrobe yet which is a first....I'm normally gagging to wear some Spring stuff by now....not so this year!! Maybe I got it right for once! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did really well with your £100 a month challenge Michelle. And yes you have got it sooooo right this year. Love your style x

      Delete
  8. Ha Love it, I can absolutely guarantee that I will not be joining you in this challange. I shop when I am happy, sad, skint, and on a Friday, but I will cheer from the sidelines….GO DONNA, GO DONNA xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support, just don't go flashing your new stuff at me. I'll be soooo jealous Amanda x

      Delete
  9. I thought about doing this but I'm afraid none of my clothes will fit me in a few weeks!! Great excuse - got me off the hook! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Special circumstances Trea, you should be making daily purchases x

      Delete
  10. I can't do frugal February. I have failed it big time already. I'd like to but the force is strong and I am weak. And like you say - what if there is a bargain of a lifetime to be had (like I fell prey to)? And February is such a bad time to do it ... all the new season stock coming in. It's like sticking a kid in a sweetshop and telling them they can't have anything. Cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cruel. The White Company brochure dropped on the door mat yesterday. I want it all! I can do this, I can do this x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Donna,I haven't bought any clothes yet so I might try the whole month! I can't vouch for not buying candles or cushions though but I won't be wearing them so maybe they don't count!! Thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog:)
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. And thanks for your comments too Anne. Cushions and candles don't count - good point! I may have to channel my efforts into sourcing these hee hee x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look amazing - get yourself on Avenue 57 now - it's a crime not to post such a gorgeous look!

    I didn't buy a SINGLE thing in January and I hope to do the same in February!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL @ your email exchange with DH!! Sadly I have no choice but to be frugal this month but like you if something just right turns up well it doesn't count....does it?! ;) Ax

    ReplyDelete