$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

3.22.2014

Boyfriend Jeans Again!

Some of you may know my ongoing saga with boyfriend jeans. I absolutely adore the look just not on me! Which is a problem given I am me. You see in my rose tinted glasses this is how BFs should look


Which means that either you are a twig so they positively hang off you in a 1980s vibe or you have a proper waist, flat tum and a defined bum to give them a more contemporary look. Trouble is I am neither. I have very little waist definition carry a little weigh on my stomach and have no backside whatsoever (God forgot the a*se when he made me). The volume of material around the middle just ends up making me look 2 sizes bigger than I really am. In order to pull this look off, you really do need to 'go in' at the waist. Clearly I don't It's been an issue that I have spent many a fretful hour pondering. How can I get the ruddy things to work on me? Three pairs I've bought, three pairs and I hate every one of them so off to ebay la-la land they go.

But I still felt I hadn't scratched that itch fully so I gave it one last shot. I remembered seeing a few pairs of relaxed skinnies in Next a few weeks ago and in the back of my mind I wondered if I could a) get them to work on me and b) pass them off as BFs.

So without further ado let me introduce you to my new faux-boyfriend jeans. They do what they say on the tin, skinnies but slightly baggier. They're cut narrower than BFs from top to bottom so there's much less volume. Eureka! For a girl like, that's pretty damn good.

Next Mid Wash Distressed Relaxed Skinny Jeans


A great colour for summer with just the right amount of distressing and oh boy they are comfortable.


The relaxed skinnies come in an array of colours although I do think that the distressed ones above are as close to boyfriends as you will find.

Blue/Black Vintage

These would work for an evening with a smart blouse and blazer.


Bright Mid Wash

Not really me but I do love seeing them on other people. Great to wear with all the pastels we are seeing this season.


Ecru Vintage

I love these and I would have bought them but I purchased a pair of straight leg ones from Uniqlo recently with the intention of cuffing the bottoms. I do prefer the Next ones though.


White

They look a little formal in this picture but I'm sure rolled up and worn with a slouchy top, they'll serve very well throughout the summer.


And then just for the hell of it I bought a pair of BFs (shock horror). That said, they are slim fit and I actually sized down, just for experimental purposes mind you. And this is the result.

Next Distressed Slim Fit Boyfriend Jeans



They fit like a glove. Yes. Yes I know BFs aren't suppose to fit like a glove but you know what I mean. Again there's less volume due to the fact that they are a smaller size and a slimmer fit - a big thumbs up from me.

They also come in,

Pale Wash


Rinse Wash


So I am now in possession of not one but two pairs of fake BFs. This makes me very happy indeed.

And what did I learn from this exercise? Don't be a sheep! Just because something is a must have item, it does't mean it will work on you. I knew the shape was wrong for me but I still went out and bought 3 flippin pairs until I realised, it was fruitless. Conventional boyfriends are never going to suit my shape. When I came to terms with this fact I was able to move on and work with what I've got.

I'd love to know if you have boyfriend (of the material sort) problems or indeed any other style issues. Do tell.


Donna x

31 comments on "Boyfriend Jeans Again!"
  1. Donna this made me laugh as I have the same body issues as you. No waist definition, bit of a tum, small bum, and I have both of these pairs of Next jeans. I do find Next trousers fit well as they cut for small hips, bigger waist. You look great in yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to be Kelly brook, all curvy and in proportion Jenny xx

      Delete
  2. These work a treat. The boyfriend was made for figures like yours, not mine (I have too much of an arse) you look great. The only boyfriends I have are from The White Co and they are lovely and I am sure that style would look gorgeous on you too. We will have to do a day at the Trafford Centre together. Perhaps even hit the denim dept at Selfridges (OMG) that would be dangerous!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not buying anymore so don't encourage me. Yes TC would be great xx

      Delete
  3. I love you in the darker ones. They look fab with your figure. I'm a completely different shape from you (typical pear) but boyfs don't suit me either. Though funnily enough I bought a pair of slim boyfit from Next this week and I love them! Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so pleased for you Lynne. Jeans drive me demented. Hate shopping for them xx

      Delete
  4. The darker jeans look fab on you, actually I think you have the perfect figure for bf jeans! I'm pear shaped and think they don't suit me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Evi. You ought to try the relaxed skinnies, they might just work xx

      Delete
  5. Love the new look blog Donna! I found it took some time to adjust to the look of the boyfriend jeans too but like you once I got there I ended up buying a few pairs all at once! The Next ones look perfect for you! Well worth the proper 'research'! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. Proper research!! I've been tearing my hair out and stripping around for weeks xx

      Delete
  6. Yay! They look amazing on you & I'm so glad you didn't give in but found a style that suited you! I need to go & try these on too! Have a good weekend D! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want it bad enough, you'll get there and you did! Hurrah! I don't subscribe to the rule that if it says boyfriend on the label, it means it's boyfriend. I think its just a loose(r) comfy jean and I've been swearing loose skinnies and straight jeans rolled up for some time and passing them off as boyfriends. If the shape fits ... no one's any the wiser :o)

    I have to say, both pairs look fab on you and suit your shape so well. The lighter ones will be fab for summer days and the dark ones are lovely dressed up for a night out. And I was just thinking how much taller you are than me wearing your Tesco top! Mine is nearly at the top of my legs and yours is at the top of your hip. I am but a shorty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you're right of course Sue. Ignore what it says on the label, just look for a looser style. The lighter ones were bought with summer in mind. Lolling about the top comment xx

      Delete
  8. Just the post I needed Donna.....I must leg it to Next tout suite and try on a few pairs! You look fab and love the new blog layout:)
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look FAB on you! I have to say I do love my boyfriends but my favourite look on me is definitely straight legs rolled up. These days I honestly think Anything goes jeans wise - it's what suits you, your wardrobe and your lifestyle that's important and will do the most for you. LOVE those shoes as well. Fab fab fab look xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kat. Yes I know what you mean but it became my mission in life to find some that I'm happy with. I've been such a stroppy mare every time I've been shopping - the family are breathing normally again. I love my heels but do need to work on BFs with flats - leave it with me xx

      Delete
  10. H&M boyfriends are fab too - nicely tapered - I have a couple of pairs and I always feel most comfortable in them. Looking good Donna! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mission accomplished & both pairs look really good on you - . I actually think the relaxed skinnies look more like BFs than the BFs do. The skinnies are a great colour as well.
    :0)
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I think this 'style issue' conversation would be a fascinating one to have over a coffee and large slice of cake Donna! Both pairs look great on you - I love the jeans and heels look but it's not something I do very often unless I'm on a night out! The Next slim boyfriends are great - I'd love to wear with a little pair of brown flats as in the top pic! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee, cake and jeans. Yes please. You see that's our different style personalities coming out x

      Delete
  13. Loving the new layout Donna and loving your new jeans too, they both look great and you have done well to find an alternative xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those jeans on you, you have most definitely found your boyfriend! They look fab with your heels...styled to perfection! X

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE LOVE LOVE - they are perfect on you and obviously a good length too as I know you're taller than me. I too struggled with BF's and just kept trying and sending back for ages. Finally, some Gap ones worked and now I'm converted! But I'm totally looking out for those Next ones - really lovely colour and a nice amount of distressing too. Thanks for the tip-off! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  16. Horrible.......

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooh more feedback please. On me or just on general?? x

    ReplyDelete