A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

3.09.2014

I'm In Need Of A Cream Blazer....Now!

Well, the sun certainly came out today. The first dog walk of the year without an anorak (yep Roy Cropper, I'm coming for you) - things are looking up. I wore my Zara brown checked blazer yesterday and felt uber-dull, in fact I did wear sludge brown, god forbid!!! Suddenly all my jackets are looking a little tired, I need a wardrobe revamp and quick and so I'm contemplating buying a cream blazer. Sounds chic in writing but I know it won't be a practical purchase so I don't want to spend oodles of money for something I'm hoping to work into my casual wardrobe. Jeans, washed-out t-shirt and blazer really appeals to me

I always seem to turn to H&M for cheap and cheerful and have to say that the jackets I've bought over the last 12 months have been great. For the money they are well made, normally lined and sit well on the body (I hate to see puckering and uneven seams). This one would definitely do the job and I know it will look as good in real life as it does in the picture. A slightly longer length than I've been buying of late but hemlines are definitely going South (and I'm sure Mrs Beckham has a lot to do with this). The colour is more of a winter-white which is a winner in my books and the absence of buttons helps it looks less formal. If you haven't bought from H&M before, I'd recommend sizing up.

H&M Tuxedo Jacket


This is how I envisage wearing it...


Two from Top Shop next. The first one looks great on the hanger and would suit an apple bodyshape as it looks as if it should drape well over the tummy area.

Top Shop Tailored Blazer With Pocket


I don't think it looks so great on the model though, all that lovely draping seems to have disappeared (I suspect there are a few pegs involved - at the back of the jacket to pull it in). It leaves a weird kind of puckering at the front. Serves her right for being so skinny. I really feel on a 'normal' woman this would look much better


The second is a cropped blazer absent of all detail which makes it really easy to work with. You can add pretty much what you want to this. I feel that it lends itself more to evening wear (casual and formal) and I need something for daytime so for me this isn't totally right.

Top Shop Cara Crop Jacket


I wasn't sure about this one from Dorothy Perkins at first but it's actually a really nice unstructured blazer. It's described as being 'quilted' but looks more like a raised pattern (probably the same thing but quilting didn't conjure up a great image). The fluidity almost reminds me of knitwear and would be great for a curvy figure. I'm assuming it's not lined. I would have preferred it to have been but it would make a great holiday jacket, light weight for the plane, thin enough to wear in the evening and no doubt the embossed pattern helps with the creasing. Hmmmmm a contender.

Dorothy Perkins Ivory Diamond Quilted Jacket


I really, really like this look. It's so relaxed but smart too.


A close up of the embossed pattern


I had to include this one from Zara as it is simply delicious. Love the embroidery detail and brass buttons. Probably more suited to a straighter body shape given the length and the fact it doesn't nip in at the waist.

Zara Blazer With Contrasting Embroidery



And on the model who looks about 12 years old


Had I been looking for an evening blazer, this one from Hobbs would have been it. I love the slightly higher button and wearing it as a trouser suit. Stunning with a tan for a wedding but I have neither a tan or a wedding to look forward to so it's a no for now.

Hobbs Cream Invitation Veronique Jacket



So, I think I've narrowed it down to the H&M or Dorothy Perkins blazers. Neither are budget busters but will I hope bring me joy (for I am that shallow). I shall be off to check them out this week.

My outfit for a day at home catching up on jobs. Comfy and casual on a sunny Sunday. The Gazelle trainers that I blogged about here are padding in nicely now, I thought they were going to hurt when I first wore them last week. I think they are going to be a nice little shoe for the summer.



A couple of nice blog posts coming up this week.


Donna x
18 comments on "I'm In Need Of A Cream Blazer....Now!"
  1. You've definitely got my attention with that H&M blazer. I might just have to go and investigate. Loving the tuxedo look

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Dotty P one & theres 25% off atm too so go get Girl! The H&M one is super cool too! My white jacket is sitting in a bag (& has been for months) waiting to go to the cleaners! :O Ax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh love the H&M one Donna & the outfit you have in mind is just gorgeous. Needless to say I also love the Zara one too, they have some gorgeous jackets in at the moment!!
    Jane xx
    My Midlife Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my credit card is twitching like mad Jane x

      Delete
  4. Some lovely picks, I really want to go and see what the topshop one looks like on!
    Abbi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's one of those that will be in the wardrobe for years x

      Delete
  5. I noticed a great blazer in M&S the other day, the best bit about it was that it was washable. I bought a French Connection one last Spring but is is a complete an utter dirt magnet so a jacket that you can stick in the machine would be topping my criteria! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it yesterday, it's really nice. Missed it on the website. I agree, a washable one has to be the way to go x

      Delete
  6. Lovely to have found your blog via A57! I need a cream jacket, I was thinking something more like a Chanel style boucle jacket, but I love some of these picks. Thanks for the inspiration! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh thanks. I love both styles, Chanel boucle and blazer. I'm a sucker for a nice jacket x

      Delete
  7. I have one from H&M, last year, and this has reminded me to fish it out and try out some daywear styling options. Up until now I have only worn it out in an evening ( with distressed jeans, grey top and heels ) As for the Zara style I have a couple that I wear more like a cardigan. I like all of your' selection here. H x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a soft peach coloured one that I too wear as a cardi. Might fish it out this week actually as it's so comfy x

      Delete
  8. Hi Donna, really enjoy your posts. I agree with you about H&M jackets, I don't think you will be disappointed with the tuxedo jacket.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. H&M are a different store this season - they have some amazing clothes - I love the blazer! You look fab and if I ever see you wearing those Gazelles I am going to steal them xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do come up with some little jewels don't they. Thanks Joanna. So glad it's sunny this week, I won't wear the Gazelles if it's raining (saddo) x

      Delete