A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

4.16.2014

A Day At The Races Kaleidoscope Style


I'm often asked to put a look together for certain events by various retail outlets but this latest one definitely floats my boat.

Kaleidoscope who you may remember from my blog post here recently got in touch to ask if I would be interested in putting a look together for a day at the races. Yes sireee. I love the races. All the anticipation of what to wear, the glamour, the champagne, sunshine and sheer exhilaration when the horses and riders thunder past just yards from where you're standing. What is there not to love? Ok, so I'm the first to admit that I never really win anything. I tend to pick my horses by the jockey's shirt colour. What? I like the colours. Last year at Epsom I tried to act clever and bet on what I thought were the odds. Turned out it was the jockeys' weights. I'll stick to shirt colours.

Anyway, back to the challenge. The brief was pretty simple. Create an outfit for a glamorous day at the races. Now this was easy as Kaleidoscope has an excellent range of formal wear.

A Day At The Races With Kaleidoscope



The dress I chose is from their own collection and is £59, a great price. It certainly is a statement dress but can be worn over and over again with different accessories; on holiday, to a wedding, even a  Christmas event. I always look for dresses that are versatile. It nips in at the waist but without too much excess material and is knee length so would allow you into any royal enclosure.

Block Stripe Dress

For me, a day at the races is all about colour so the shoes have to be bright. I chose these because although high, they are on a slight platform so should be fairly comfortable. Yes I know that I will no doubt sink into the grass and a wedge would be better but I don't do practical on posh occasions. 




Heine Suede Court Shoes

I don't tend to do matchy-matchy in my normal day to day life but this is NOT normal so I can bend the rules with this little bolero can't I. It's also somewhat practical if indeed it's a tad cold on the day. I certainly won't be one of those women gracing the pages of the tabloids with barely any clothes on pretending they are so not fazed by the freezing temperatures. 


Alexon Sateen Jacket


Now I could have moved off plan with the hat but I was on such a roll with Kaleidoscope that I chose this one which is a Jacques Vert. I really love that there is a spot in the material which is in complete contrast to the stripe in the dress. Little things but they matter!


Jacques Vert Spot Brim Hat

The handbag is fairly plain, it doesn't need to be a statement bag. The dress and shoes are doing the talking.

Heine Clutch Bag



Sunglasses are of course essential. I mean no fashion blogger would be seen without them (lol). And check these out, I didn't even know Kaleidoscope stocked designer brands.

Just Cavalli Sunglasses


And to finish it off,  a nail colour that I'm totally in love with at the moment and have featured on the blog before here, the OPI Gwen Stefani range


OPI Nail Polish



So that's the outfit sorted. Now for the race course. Well it would have to be Ascot, Ladies Day of course. Lots of champagne, beautiful canap├ęs, fabulous meal and a stunning view from the balcony (I wouldn't have to worry about the shoes getting dirty would I). Oh and the company? The husband of course! We always have an amazing time at the races. Here I am at Epsom last year. 





Well that was a different post from me,  sorry to be indulgent but I loved doing it.

Donna x













14 comments on "A Day At The Races Kaleidoscope Style"
  1. Lovely look Donna. My husband goes all over the country for the races but always with his friends, I haven't been once! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really need to make hubby take you Sharron. It's brilliant fun x

      Delete
  2. You look very elegant Donna - you can't beat monochrome in my opinion for a dressy event like the races. I haven't been for years, I do horse ride and it's something I enjoy, as well as the occasional flutter of course (!)

    I like your addition of the bright pops of pink as well x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great outfit Donna....you are definately a winner in the style stakes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the races too & haven't been for years! Great monochrome dress with the pink accessories! You look amazing! Love the colour of your bag & shoes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to the races for years, despite living practically around the corner from Leopardstown Race Course. Great outfit - well chosen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing stopping you then Helen, get yourself around there xx

      Delete
  6. I love the sound of being asked to put outfits together for events Donna! Great outfit - and love your own green bag and shoes! Not been to the races for years - no idea what I'd wear if I did! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love ladies day at Chester. I must admit to going ott in a long frock and loved it. You look super cool at Epsom last year. H xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love ladies day at Chester too Helen. Been several times but no flippin winners x

      Delete