A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

4.30.2014

Marks & Spencer...Back On Top?

Well, well, well I knew it was going to be a good summer season for M&S when I saw this magazine spread way back in November last year. Very Victoria Beckham-esque me thinks!


And I haven't been left disappointed!

Last week, I popped into M&S for a bag of carrots, yes carrots. I promised myself not to dilly-dally and go straight to the food hall. So a bag of carrots, 2 tubs of fruit, 4 ready meals (laziness personified) and 3 bottles of champagne (they were half price) later, I was faced with a dilemma. Do I go straight back to my car, do not pass go, do not collect £200 or do I take the long route around the shop? Turning right would have meant passing through the mens suits and kids section, turning left meant walking past shoes and underwear and lots and lots of other nice things. I turned left as I have the willpower of a gnat.

Probably not the brightest thing to do as I have been lusting after the black Autograph cage sandals for weeks. As you probably know from the previous post, they went into the trolly before you could say Jimmy Choo.

Autograph Leather Cage Sandal £55


Of course I couldn't resist looking at some of the other beauties in stock.

I adore these patterned sandals and now realise I need these as well! Well, not actually need but want very, very much. How fab would they look with distressed boyfriend jeans and a plain t-shirt. I really like the idea of keeping everything else simple and letting the feet do the talking.

Limited Edition High Block Heel Platform Shoe £35



Should I be stocking up on Autumn footwear now because the colour of these peep toes is utterly delicious. M&S call it grey. I'd say that's pretty spot on! Black 7/8th skinnies and a black silk shirt (yo me doing double black).

Limited Edition Peeptoe Buckle Shoe £35

Enough! I can't take anymore shoes in my life. It's too emotional deciding which pair of gorgeousness to wear each day.

Determined not to be swayed by anything else, I rejoined the main walkway with blinkers at the ready. But oh dear, look what caught my eye.

Indigo Embroidered Cover-Up Cardigan £55



I'm not normally an Indigo fan but I love this although I think £55 is a little on the steep side for what really is an accessory - I mean, it's not going to keep me warm is it! Hate the knee length jeans but the nude vest looks great. Here it is online....



Am I missing a new trend here? In my mind nothing goes together and I would not have looked twice at this online. It's great in real life though.

And of course the sleeveless jacket that M&S have done so well this season

M&S Collection Longline jacket £49.50



Which was teamed with the cuffed hem jogger. Genius! A pair of statement heels and you've got
easy wear sports luxe.

M&S Collection Cuffed Hem Jogger £29.50

Going back to the jacket, I noticed this one online. I haven't seen it in the flesh but it looks fantastic with the mint top and white jeans.

Limited Collection Long Line Waistcoat £59




I didn't  dare to wander into the Limited section, just viewed from the sidelines as I could have bought so much.

Limited Edition Floral Shell Top £35


Limited Edition Tribal Print Shell Top £25


Limited Edition Organza Geometric Shell Top £35




Limited Edition No-Peep Floral Cropped Blouse £35


Enough! I can't take anymore. I feel quite faint. 

Well Marks & Spencer has come in for more than it's fair share of criticism over the last few years but looking at the last couple of seasons, I think it's back where it belongs. Bravo M&S. Long may your reign continue.

What's your view of this High Street institution. Do you love or hate? 



Donna x

25 comments on "Marks & Spencer...Back On Top?"
  1. TOTALLY agree - M&S are above and beyond on fire right now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love their Wensleydale and Carrot Chutney sandwiches, does that count?! Ha ha! Being serious, I can count on one hand the number of items I own from M&S (if you exclude underwear of course) but my fab cobalt blue winter coat is from there. I only tend to pop in when I'm with Mum but I always see such nice things on Kat 40Bums blog so I know the good stuff is out there. Not sure I can get on board with the sleeveless waistcoat/jacket thing, seems like an unecessary layer to me. If it's warm enough for bare arms then I don't need that extra layer IYSWIM?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you are a very funny lady. Yes good sandwiches too. I love a sleeveless jacket, it's my torso that gets cold, not my arms xx

      Delete
  3. I'm sitting here on my own at home 'oohing' and 'ahhing' over all of this. I can't get enough of Marksie's at the moment x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I daren't actually go and do a proper recci for fear of further purchases xx

      Delete
  4. I'm sitting on my hands trying not to cave in, just love the black caged sandals. I agree M&S seem to have got it right at last.
    Sue x
    bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving the M&S shoes and bags at the moment! It would certainly seem they are on the up again! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I daren't look at their bags. I don't need any more bags. I do I do x

      Delete
  6. I think M&S are pretty much on the ball at the moment. They have some gorgeous items and definitely are hitting it with their shoes. I always used to think their shoes were a bit too conservative but that's changed. Must admit I really like the Indigo section. Have bought wifey loads from there.
    They sell some pretty darn fine food as well :0)
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indigo is slightly too casual for me although I've stopped in my tracked a few times this year, lovely shirts after Xmas and then these items. And yes pretty good food too xx

      Delete
  7. They (M&S) do seem to be getting it a bit better these days, but my local store still doesn't draw me in, It just lacks something, but can't quite put my finger on it?.......A'h I know, it's staff on the shop floor, I can never find anyone to help me navigate which section sells what? The clothes that get featured are looking really good, I especially like the sleeveless jackets, and some great jeans too! I shall have to persevere in there!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so lucky to live fairly close to a fab one, but I know what you mean some stores just haven't got the same appeal. I guess that's because they don't stock the trendier brands xx

      Delete
  8. I love M&S in the magazines, and I love their underwear, but I never find clothes in the shop I like and their shoes don't fit me. So for me, M&S is just for their fab beauty hall, their knickers, and their tights! P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know what I never actually get to the beauty bit as I've normally flexed the credit card too much by then. One day I will spend time browsing this department xx

      Delete
  9. Thanks for showing this, I never go to M&S but this has totally persuaded me to get back in there!
    Abbi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such an M&S ambassador, I really should have a badge xx

      Delete
  10. Totally loving it all! Had another look in Oxford Street yesterday in search of that elusive Bandana jacket but they didn't have it either! Have you not bought those shoes in Nude yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking a chance and waiting for the next voucher drop lol xx

      Delete
  11. I love all of the shoes you've posted Donna & blogged those amazing block heeled sandals a while back! I'm loving the sleeveless jackets atm too & need a job or to marry a rich Arab asap! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And in the meantime you will have to continue to drool lol xx

      Delete
  12. I've only been to an M&S a few times, but I've never really been a huge fan. But then again they don't have any in america.

    The name of your blog is so interesting- what is the story behind it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the story is that I'm a trained colour consultant and when I discovered my palette I was horrified to find lots of sludgy boring colours. I therefore have a constant dilemma of balancing my colouring whilst managing my tendency to gravitate to brighter shades. If you read my first few posts, you'll get my drift xx

      Delete
  13. I don't like navigating most M&S stores but I do admit that you can find little gems peeking out here and there. I never get really lucky, I don't know why. I must try harder. I love those sandals btw. H xx

    ReplyDelete