A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

4.26.2014

Old Kid On The Block




A very dear friend of my daughter turned 18 and guess what, we were invited to her party. Camilla is shall we say, a chilled, indie sort of girl who actually didn't mind us oldies being there (rewind back to my own daughter's 18th in September and adults were banned from the marquee, we had to make do with peering through the kitchen window).
First up, what does one wear to a teenager's house party? I mean I'd hate to embarrass my own daughter. So I settled for Next distressed, slim boy fit jeans (here), black cross over Zara top (old), H&M cream blazer (here) and M&S cage shoes (here). Yes I caved in and bought them. I was originally going to wait until I received my quarterly vouchers but kept hyper-ventilating in case they sold out. I may also have to get them in the nude (here) as they are lush . M&S call them grey. I stand by nude.

Apologies for the bathroom shot, the lighting was awful last night at home.









We arrived before the majority of the partygoers. For those of you who are not familiar with 18 year olds, it's the norm to do pre-drinks elsewhere. God forbid anyone arriving before 10pm! But oh at 10pm, arrive they did, in their droves. There were a hundred or so of them. I would have been freaking out, they were like little ants invading every room, upstairs and down (and there are lots of rooms to invade). 

And here is Camilla. She received a stunning ring from her parents, I'm sure it will be treasured for many, many years.






The girls of course didn't let the side down, a mixture of little dresses, jumpsuits and trousers. Having watched them grow up over the years, it's great to see their own style developing rather than being sheep! You may recognise my daughter, Ash from this post. She's in the yellow skirt in this photo. 






Gorgeous girls! Mind you, I'll never get my head around the great big clod-hoppers that the girls wear. There are far too many gorgeous shoes to waste one's life on fugly ones! 

I know it isn't the best quality but I love this photo. Some of the party girls with Linda, the hostess with the mostess.








I love how all the guys actually dress up these days, many sporting blazers and 'proper' grown-up shoes. Silly billy, they are grown up! Here is Will looking very swish with Ashleigh.





And even the husband scrubbed up (apologies for the shocking quality of photos - iPhones and no light - not a great combination).  Hmmm that yellow skirt seems to be appearing on rather a lot of these photos. My 13 year old made a brief appearance in front of the camera too.


And so at a very respectable hour, we left the hardened party goers to it and headed home. It would appear that another 18th celebration is on the agenda tonight. A Levels? What A Levels. 



I'm off to bed for some kip as we're going to the Once Upon A Smile Grand Ball tonight in Manchester. Zzzzzzzzzzz





Donna x
25 comments on "Old Kid On The Block "
  1. Love those M&S shoes, tried them on yesterday, very tempted, they punch above there weight. Looks like a great party, judged your outfit perfectly.
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, if you try them on, you will buy them. I only went in to M&S for carrots and look what I came out with!! Thanks, it was a fab, fab party x

      Delete
  2. You look stunning & any 18 year old would be proud to have you at their party....just don't pull any Mama moves (or muscles) on the dance floor! All the girls look lovely but what is it with those chunky shoes?! What a handsome Hubby too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea, I guess we will never know! xx

      Delete
  3. Looks like they had an amazing time! Oh how I remember 18th parties, have done three of them but always in a hall, never in the house, is this woman mad? Everyone looks fab and my youngest girl has that Zara dress with the eyes on. Ashleigh looks gorgeous as they all do! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great dress isn't it. You must be permanently in Zara x

      Delete
  4. Aw looks like a fab party and you all looked gorgeous. love the M&S shoes, they look fabulous on you. Have a wonderful time tonight....did you find a dress? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kareema. I did find address - tell you all about it on the blog next week xx

      Delete
  5. Ohh look forward to reading about it x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great night Donna & those M&S shoes are just gorgeous.....but do I need anymore shoes?!!!! Heck when has that stopped me ;-)
    Jane xx
    My Midlife Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  7. God I feel old!!!!! But didn't you look like the perfect Yummy Mummy? Great shoes and jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, they are delightful people and they didn't make me feel old. Thanks Helen x

      Delete
  8. Cool outfit Donna.....the M&S sandals are gorgeous aren't they?! Look like you all having a super time!! How lucky was the birthday girl, such a beautiful ring xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love them Michelle. Have you worn yours yet?

      Delete
  9. I've never understood clodhoppers shoes but everyone seems to wear them. I MUCH prefer your elegant cage shoes personally!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look fantastic Donna and I love your shoes - however I also love the clodhoppers - I've told you before I'm drawn to them and always will be I reckon! Absolutely love the birthday girl's boots! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knew you would say that Jenny. It wouldn't be right for us all to be the same x

      Delete
  11. Love your outfit ! The white jacket against the black top & jeans is really nice, and I love those shoes. They are super!!
    :0)
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  12. FABULOUS! I saw those shoes in real life and it took all my strength and will power NOT TO BUY THEM .. god they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I didn't have any willpower when I saw them in real life x

      Delete
  13. You looked amazing Donna- your daughter should be proud! I'm with you on the clod hoppers, hate those clumpy shoes. Love your daughters outfit- hard the beat the yellow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trea. Yes, it's a cute skirt isn't it and it's YELLOW yeah!! x

      Delete