$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

4.28.2014

Once Upon A Smile Grand Ball And Outfit Dilemmas

"We're going to a ball" said my husband last Monday. "Oh when?" I replied. "Saturday" he said. Shhhhhiiiiittt! 

What am I going to wear? I don't really do ball gowns these days, in fact the only long ones I own are of the maxi variety - strictly for sunshine destinations! Turns out that this isn't the usual stuffy corporate affair, it's the Once Upon A Smile ball which attracts a much younger crowd which means of course a less rigid dress code. Well thank the Lord for small mercies.

And so off I trotted to John Lewis for a quick scoot around - determined not to venture any further afield. I spotted this black jumpsuit in Phase Eight and it fitted like a glove. Perfect! It was purchased.




That was until I got home and darling husband said he didn't like it! Back to the drawing board. So, the daughter and I went through my wardrobe and surprisingly we found options (lots of options actually). I eventually settled on this Baukjen dress that I purchased last year and had never worn. Ok yes it's safe but it's also extremely comfy. The ruching from the waist down is very flattering and provides an optical illusion of the greatest degree ie. covers the belly! 

It was teamed with an old pair of Karen Millen dove grey patent leather stilettos and bag, Zara crystal necklace and Tiffany bracelet. I didn't have time to even go to the hairdresser so had to make-do with my trusty Babyliss Big Hair. 



The event itself was unbelievable, a fundraising ball for the Once Upon A Smile Charity. This was set up in 2011 by actors, Daniel Jillings and Danny Miller and provides financial support, respite breaks and bereavement counselling for parents, children and siblings who have lost loved ones. 




Daniel told us about a chap who had lost his wife 3 years ago, leaving behind a son. Daniel and Danny visited him at home to find out if there was anything they could help with. The chap said he wanted his wife home for Christmas. Heartbreakingly impossible! But they discovered that due to financial hardship, the chap had been unable to pay off the funeral debt and so his wife's ashes remained at the undertakers. Within half an hour, the trustees had paid off the debt and he did indeed have his wife home for Christmas. Touching stuff hey? You can find out more about the fantastic work that these fellas do here.

They pulled out all the stops on the night at the Hilton Hotel in Manchester. The venue was peppered with soap stars from Emmerdale to Hollyoakes and Corrie, all very beautiful and very young! As we arrived, there was rather a large number of 'paps' waiting. I chickened the red carpet walk and entered  via the side door! There were some stunning dresses, long and short, a visual extravaganza.  And the entertainment was, shall we say, jam-packed, the hi-light for me being  Katrina And The Waves. She was a-m-a-z-i-n-g.



Well two consecutive nights of mixing with 'young people' and I felt drained yesterday. So after the son's football match it was a date with the sofa and my slippers (rock and roll).

You can follow Once Upon A Star here on Facebook or Twitter. The guys do an amazing job and have come so far in 3 years. 

Oh and the jumpsuit? It's safely tucked away in the back of my wardrobe. The hubby might not like it but he'll have to lump it next time. 


Donna x







27 comments on "Once Upon A Smile Grand Ball And Outfit Dilemmas"
  1. You will get loads of wear out of the jumpsuit anyway Donna but the dress looked fab for such a glam night xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know so I don't really mind. At least I got to cut the tag off the dress x

      Delete
  2. Love the dress - it looks really nice, and the accessories are spot on - great colours.
    I think the jump suit looks stunning as well !!
    :0)
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gutted you didn't get to wear the jumpsuit but you look so stunning in that dress Donna! It was made for you! Sounds like a lovely eve & such a wonderful cause too! What amazing work they do! You should of strutted down that red carpet Girl, you are more than worthy!! Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mind too much Andrea as I know I'll wear the jumpsuit as well x

      Delete
  4. You looked gorgeous Donna & that jumpsuit is also stunning, perfect for your summer hols maybe?!!
    Jane xx
    My Midlife Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE, love, love the jumpsuit - I wear them a lot but my Husband doesn't really like them on me either - ah well - his problem not mine:) The blue dress looks AMAZING though - stunning xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't they like them Joanna? Beyond me. Thanks x

      Delete
  6. You looked absolutely gorgeous, you suit that colour so much. I do adore the black jumpsuit on you, no doubt you will get lots of wear out of it on your summer hols! Great charity and sounds like a wonderful night x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you kept the jumpsuit as it looks great on you. What an amazing evening you had and your outfit was gorgeous, LOVE the dress x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kareema. I can't believe it's still available, I must have had it in my wardrobe nearly 6 months x

      Delete
  8. Fab jumpsuit....you are sure to gets loads of wear out of it! You look incredible in the blue dress....amazing colour on you and you have accessorised it perfectly!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look stunning in the dress, and you have styled it beautifully. I'm glad you kept the jumpsuit, they are such a useful item to have. I have a ball in June, haven't even started thinking about it yet as I hate dress shopping!
    A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I'd much rather go shopping for jackets and shoes!! Thanks Abbi xx

      Delete
  10. You look bloody fantastic in that blue. I love the shoes!
    I also hope you kept the jumpsuit just in case you have another 18th party to go to in the future!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes are really old Fi, probably over 5 years actually. Yes I'm definitely keeping the jumpsuit xx

      Delete
  11. Why do husbands always put a spanner in the works. I love you in the jumpsuit. I am now jealous of your' social life too you look fab in the Baukjen. H xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That story about the gentleman and his wife's ashes gave me a lump in my throat! What a godsend foundations like this are.

    You looked gorgeous, the blue is a great colour on you. Shame about the jumpsuit, best saved for a girls night out instead? P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wiped a tear away, such a sad story. Oh don't you worry that jumpsuit will be coming out to play very soon xx

      Delete