A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

4.02.2014

Pretty Woman 2014




How can an image stir up so many memories? I saw this recently...





...and immediately thought of this





Yes, Pretty Woman, my most favourite film EVER. The original modern Rom-Com, my first style crush, Ms Julia Roberts and don't get me started on Richard Gere (wish he was taller though). I adore Julia in this film, her visit to the upmarket boutique was legendary. I think we all felt her humiliation when she was turned away in that scrap of fabric she called a dress. And then her triumph the following day:

Vivian: Do you remember me?
Salesperson: No, I'm sorry.
Vivian: I was in here yesterday. You wouldn't wait on me?
Salesperson: Oh.
Vivian: You work on commission, right?
Salesperson: Ah, yes.
Vivian: Big mistake. Big. Huge! I have to go shopping now!

God, I've always wanted to do that.


Anyway, the jacket and shorts which incidentally are from Next got me thinking. I wondered if I could recreate some of Vivian's outfits nearly 25 years down the line. For no other reason than there's a pile of ironing waiting to be done but this is much more fun.


Meeting With Good Friends (well Kit was her only friend)

Obviously Next have done a great job with the shorts suit. I've added a few accessories. I love this! I'm just not sure that it fits in with my lifestyle. Maybe I should get an office job in some uber chic P.R. company overflowing with gorgeous 20 year old girls. Maybe not. That said, the jacket and shorts could be worn as separates very easily.



Pretty Woman - The Orange Shorts Suit





Do you recall the brown and white polka dot dress that she wore for the polo?







A Day At The Polo (as you do!)

Crikey television pictures were really grainy in the 'old days' weren't they!
Here's my interpretation, slightly updated. Being a 'Soft' palette I tend to stay away from huge contrasts in this case brown and white and have gone for more tonal shades. I reckon this outfit would take you to most formal occasions throughout the summer and lucky, lucky polka dots are on trend this season.







And how about Vivian and Edwards' first date where she scrubs up rather nicely in a little black lace number and he takes note.






Hot Date, Any Date, Lets Just Wear The Dress

I had to include this divine dress from Mint Velvet, it's stunning and would work for ever. The sleeves as well as being pretty are great for covering the tops of the arms and the clever cape is much more forgiving than a shift dress but still has this vibe about it. I've teamed it with silver which always seems fresher than gold and bright pink lips and nail varnish to lift it for the summer months.




Pretty Woman, The Black Lace Dress




Of course I couldn't write this post without including THE red dress







THE Red Dress, It Has To Be A Show Stopper

Back in the early 90s, just after the film had been released, I was fortunate enough to see the actual dress in L.A. It is exquisite and very small! And my interpretation....



Pretty Woman, The Red Dress (except it's not a dress)



Ok so it's not a dress but I'm guessing us girls would get much more wear out of this jumpsuit than a full length long dress. It's the kind of thing you could wear out in the evening on holiday (maybe not with all of these accessories but a pair of white sandals and a soft, floppy bag and you're good to go. I get a real kick out of putting cheap pieces (the jewellery) with expensive pieces (bag and shoes). It's my way of pulling my tongue at the designers!

And if you're wondering about Vivian's opening scene aka. lady of the night dress,  I'll leave it with this chap to strut his stuff. Speechless!!




Are you a Pretty Woman fan? Maybe Dirty Dancing is your thing? Drop me a line or comment below, let's reminisce together :-)

Back with a selection of sunglasses to suit face shape and colouring next time.


Donna x









29 comments on "Pretty Woman 2014"
  1. Lindybop just today emailed me about the launch of their 'Audrey' dress in brown polkadots for those who want to dress like Pretty Woman!!
    http://www.lindy-bop.com/dresses/jive-swing-dresses/audrey-chocolate-polka.html
    Haven't seen the film for years, must watch it again soon! Great selection of clothes you've picked.
    P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that dress is a stunner. Very, very similar to Vivivan's isn't it x

      Delete
  2. Fab post Donna. Oh how I love Pretty Woman. One of my favourite scenes along with the shopping scene is when she's singing to herself in the bath - just brilliant.
    Jane xx
    My Midlife Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta a love that chap for dressing up in that last outfit...lol! I saw Pretty Woman when it was on a couple of weeks ago, such a classic feel good movie! You have replicated the looks perfectly Donna.....love the black lace dress outfit xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He kind of ruins it but had to be included!! I love that dress Michelle and actually as a 'soft' palette, lace is really good for us as it absorbs the light so is less harsh on our skin x

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great post Donna! Brings back all sorts of wonderful memories! I love the shorts suit! I will however be having nightmares tonight after seeing the bloke dressed up like Viv! :/ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. He is a bit haunting isn't he!

      Delete
  6. I love this post, Donna, and I have seen the film a fair few times. I always liked the brown polka dot dress. I love the styling you have done here, fabulous. H xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I just sicked up after feeling so lovely and warm and fluffy and all Pretty Woman. I LOVE THAT FILM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And then you put that man at the end!!!!

    I think I might grab some girlfriends and have a pretty woman night here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I'll send him along as guest speaker x

      Delete
  8. I loved your interpretation of the looks - just one thing missing in this post though... you could have treated us to a picture of Mr Gere, he's still got it as far as I'm concerned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drat! Missed that opportunity. He is divine x

      Delete
  9. Great film, fab post and love how Wallis do one of those taupe spot dresses every year, I featured one on the blog a couple of years back after seeing the film for the hundredth time, shows how timeless the look and print is xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I actually really like the dress. I wonder if the Queen might invite me to her garden party? x

      Delete
  10. Lol! Fab post!! Love this film and this made me laugh so much! Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I loved this post. I read it earlier while sitting in the hairdresser and was instantly transported back in time! I can't believe you managed to replicate the outfits so well. Great post x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post - Loved reading this and the way you recreated the style.
    Love your version of the orange shorts suit and also the brown pdot dress ( that is very very nice!)
    The David Walliams look-a-like reveal at the end was a bit of a shocker though.
    :0)
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. He scares me and I know he's there! x

      Delete
  13. Good grief this brings back memories Donna - haven't seen Pretty Woman (or Richard Gere) for so long - going to have to get to watch it now! I love that black lace Mint Velvet dress! You're so right - this is so much more fun than ironing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the ironing is still just that, ironing! x

      Delete
  14. Much more fun than ironing or any other mundane housework job! Great post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, totally agree. I keep saying tomorrow, tomorrow x

      Delete
  15. Brit living in Austria desperately trying to find the red wide leg jumpsuit from topshop in the Pretty Woman post (and not succeeding:( ). Could you or anybody out there possibly help me out with a link?? Would be extremely grateful. Very pleased to have discovered your blog today (through doesmybumlook40) and have thoroughly enjoyed going through your posts on this wet and windy day. Love the name too and the sentiment. Salzburg is a great place to live if you love wearing colours, which I do, but I miss the British humour. Would be thankful for any help regarding the jumpsuit. Many thanks - a new fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle thanks for your lovely comments, glad you enjoyed reading through the posts today. It would appear that the jumpsuit is now out of stock (link below). I'd like to think it was my blog posts that inspired ladies to buy it but I very much doubt that! You could try Ebay - it's a bit hit and miss but I know some of my Blogger friends have stalked a certain item and eventually picked it up. Also, try typing into Google, red wide leg jumpsuit. There's a strappy one in Boohoo and a drapey one in Etsy. Good luck with the search Michelle xx

      http://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/clothing-427/playsuits-jumpsuits-2159081/wide-leg-jumpsuit-by-wal-g-2593106?bi=141&ps=20&geoip=noredirect&cmpid=pla_uk&istCompanyId=38aa0d7f-6514-4cb3-bbdc-df0d32d48b7f&istItemId=xmpaiqxia&istBid=tztx&gclid=CP2_sN7IuL0CFYbMtAod3CUAZw

      Delete