A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

5.20.2014

How I'm Styling Yellow

Well, well, well I didn't realise quite how much I love yellow until this week. I shouldn't be surprised because if you recall my Stan, I have a Plan post here, I had picked out yellow as a major addition to my wardrobe. Actually, I was thinking more mustardy yellow at the time but that was back in January when I couldn't contemplate wearing anything vaguely summery.


I prefer to wear just one piece of yellow at a time otherwise it feels too matchy-matchy for my liking.

Outfit 1
The yellow jeans and sandals were bought in Spain - I seem to buy a lot from there don't I. The jeans are really soft and very comfortable to wear, well that is for the first hour, then they seem to go all baggy and by the end of the day look more like boyfriend jeans. I prefer slouchy Breton tops as more structured ones make my already angular frame look square.

Outfit 2
Ok, a bit of a cheat this one as it's just a mustard-yellow bag which I bought from Boden last year. It does however lift what would be quite a plain outfit.

Outfit 3
Oh boy, we're talking positively vintage High Street now. This silk top was bought from Zara approximately 8 years ago. It use to have a fixed tie belt around the middle but I chopped it off. This top comes out every summer and owes me nothing. The white toe posts were from Daniel Footwear last year, no longer available but they do have similar and I've included these below.

Outfit 4
I saw this cheery, loose fit yellow striped t-shirt in M&S last week. Of course it went into my basket. It's got a cute little zip on the back. The bag is navy and white edged in cobalt and is still available from Next clearance at a bargain price of £10

So here are a few bits and pieces if you fancy giving any of the looks a go



Are you in love with all things yellow? Have you picked up anything nice that I should know about. Do leave a comment, I love hearing from you.


Donna x
36 comments on "How I'm Styling Yellow "
  1. Some great outfits Donna. I'm also loving all things yellow at the moment including the sun!!!
    Jane xx
    My Midlife Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ever since you posted this, I haven't seen the big yellow ball in the sky. Guess I'll have to wear it instead xx

      Delete
  2. Yes I love pale/bright yellow for spring and summer and I have a mustard skirt from Anthropologie that gets a lot of wear in autumn/winter. Normally in spring too with a breton but not this spring of course ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Donna - love the yellow jeans in the first pic and your yellow breton in the last one. I love yellow teamed with navy or grey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I didn't do grey did I? Actually none of the outfits were premeditated. It was only when I saw them all together on Twitter that I realised I had an obsession for yellow x

      Delete
  4. I have just suddenly embraced yellow into my wardrobe. Before I did not think it would suit me & thus left it alone. Thankfully I was mistaken X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeay, welcome to the yellow crew Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Yellow loves you back, looks great on you! P x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yellow is amazing!! I have to stop myself wearing it every day. Love how you've styled it here will be stealing some of these looks. Need those blue shoes from the last outfit too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and Trea are like Yellow Twins! Love that little Next bag and am disgusted that the Clearance section of their website isn't available in Ireland. *sulks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be a Trea-twin. Fat chance!! x

      Delete
  8. I love look no.4 Donna! Its fab! You looked great in your yellow top when we met last week too! Its a fab colour on you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea, that's probably my favourite too xx

      Delete
  9. Great outfits....I love sunny yellow too:)
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot get enough of yellow right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I wear yellow Donna? I love it....you look amazing in it but I've never been sure if it's a colour I can carry off? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I think as long as it isn't an in your face yellow, we can do it. I have a really, really bright yellow top (the one on my Twitter profile picture) and can only wear it with a tan xx

      Delete
  12. Love all these outfits Donna, you look fab and I am really loving yellow this season although I haven't bought anything yet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely LOVE this colour on you - so so so gorgeous, versatile and summery. Totally suits you, you lucky duck! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat, I'm a lucky duck - hee hee that made me laugh xx

      Delete
  14. Yes I have a new found love of yellow. It has to be the right shade though. I have received a Zara jacket, which is going back, because it is just too mustard in shade. I want more yellow as I only have a pair of shoes and a sweater at the mo. H xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need more yellow in your life Helen. Quick!! xx

      Delete
  15. I am a yellow addict... just makes me smile!

    Thankfifi.x
    thanks again for your sweet comment.x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am also loving yellow at the moment. It looks stunning on you, really like the M&S tee!
    A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abbi. It was a lucky find the yellow tee xx

      Delete
  17. Love a bit of yellow Donna - brightens things up no end and really like the sound of a yellow bag! Love those cobalt blue pumps you've picked out - great colour! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow and blue - class combos don't you think xx

      Delete
  18. I think yellow is THE colour at the moment- Which is good cause I think it looks really good, and gives off happy, optimistic vibes.
    The yellow jeans outfit is my favourite.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks Paul, it's suppose to be the colour for cowards but I think more sunshine xx

      Delete