A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

6.06.2014

6 Random Holiday Packing Tips

It's that time of year again....



With our summer holidays less than a month a way, I need to start thinking about a plan of action. I think I’ve ‘grown’ into a good packer and that’s through meticulous planning over the years. It’s going to be an interesting one this year as the daughter will have returned from Malia a couple of days before so will be be a very quick turnaround. Coupled with the fact that she’s at a wedding (plus the obligatory after party) the night before we travel. I am prepared for the fact that she will walk in to the house just before we set off for the airport. The 13 year old has suddenly become a little more choosy. I can’t go out and buy his stuff on a whim anymore - he has to direct me...where to go, what fit he requires blah blah blah. The husband is easy enough. He throws a few pairs of shorts in a bag and he’s ready. 

I do have a few tips that I adhere too so thought I would share them with you (as I hope you will with me).


1 Roll Don't Fold





I’ve read this tip over and over and never tried it until 2 years ago. It really does work. If you carefully roll all your clothes, they come out of the suitcase pretty much creaseless. The son loved his football shirts and shorts rolled together and he didn’t even unroll them at the other end. He just ‘picked’ out a roll each day to wear. It meant his wardrobe stayed ‘reasonably’ tidy all hol. If it's good enough for the military, it's good enough for me!


2 Email Your bits






No, not your rude bits, your important bits. Scan copies of passports, E111s, flight tickets, driving licence and email them over to yourself. That way, even if you lose everything, you still have the details to hand.

3 Pack Pegs

I hate hand washing on holiday but sometimes it just has to be done especially swimwear. And I’ll tell you what I hate even more...getting up the next morning only to find your lovely washing all over the balcony floor. Pack a few pegs, they don’t take up much room and should the weather turn, at least you can make a game with them....101 things you can do with a clothes peg.


4 £1 Bikini Bags From Primark






I don’t use these purely for wet swimwear. Great for carrying products in your suitcase as they’re plastic lined so leakages aren’t going anywhere. They also take up much less space than bulky toiletry bags. When I’m on holiday, they’re put to good use too. One for suncreams, easy to fill up each day before you set off for the beach, one for hair bobbles, grips and tangle teezer, one for bits and bobs such as headphones, Kindle, loose change etc and so on. 


Beach to Bar Bar to Beach

I can’t do the beach to bar thing, you know, adding a pair of heels and a bit of jewellery to a beach outfit to take you out for the evening. That’s just minging. But, I can do it in reverse. Take the kimono that I talked about a couple of weeks ago. Nice to dress up in the evening and then a few days later when your fellow holiday residents have forgotten about it, use it as a beach cover-up. Yep. That works for me. We’ve got a different holiday planned this year, a city/beach combo so I’m thinking dresses. I can wear them with sandals and a bit of jewellery in the city and relegate them to beachwear when we get to our final destination. 


6 Black Bags

Now this one has to be my bestest, topest, tip EVER. Not that I have problems or anything but the sheer thought of any dirty washing touching the inside of my suitcase fills me with terror. Lurgy, bugs, nasties...just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they’re not there. Ok I do have problems. But hear me out, this is genius. Take half a dozen black bags with you. On the last day, empty everyone’s washing onto the bed and sort into darks, lights, brights, and whites and fill a bag with each. Give everyone a bag or two to put in their suitcase. And then bingo! When you get home, your suitcases are emptied in all of 10 seconds AND your washing is sorted ready for the washing machine. Polishes halo.

So do you have any top tips you would like to share with me. I would really, really love to hear them. The more random the better.

Apologies for lack of visuals, for the first time ever, we're having broadband problems (45 minutes on the phone with BT this morning who to be fair are very helpful). 

Will be back after the weekend.


Donna x

26 comments on "6 Random Holiday Packing Tips"
  1. I have just laughed out very very loudly at the 'that's just minging' comment re beach to bar. Yeesssss! So, so agree with you. Great tips and I'm in awe of the pure genius that is the black plastic sacks. I bow down *respect*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab tips Donna....the email one is genius!! We lost a suitcase one year, so I pack a bit for each of us so that if that ever happens again at least we all have some clothes to last a couple of days! Luckily our case turned up the following morning!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touch wood, never happened to us. That's a great idea Michelle, my mum does that too x

      Delete
  3. I roll too. The other tips are fab. I love the email tip and the wet bikini bag. Thank you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always been a roller, makes more sense. I always take plastic carrier bags for dirty laundry too - mainly for undies, socks, bikinis - can't bear that stuff not being tidied away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will be going to primark pronto!

    My tip is re chargers etc. with four of us with iPhones, iPads, straighteners etc we have a lot of electrics to charge.
    We now take a short extension lead with 4 plug sockets on - make's it much easier and quicker to just use one
    Adapter for the extension lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, loving that one. I'll be stealing that from you - thanks for the tip x

      Delete
  6. Loving that black bag trick, thanks for sharing. I pack across the four cases, everyone has something in all 4, just in case one goes missing! I also roll and stuff clothes everywhere to get as much in as possible! Shoes are filled with pants and socks! I don't mind packing the actual cases, it's the choosing of what to pack that gets me every time.....!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd put my pants and socks in my shoes but not my sons - eeeewwwweeee! Teenagers, smelly feet and all lol x

      Delete
  7. The black bag is a new one on me and a great idea, although when I stay in an apartment I keep on top of the washing so don't have much to bring home but if staying in a hotel, this idea is brilliant! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna I am laughing about your husband, mine's the same - a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and he would be quite happy. I am, of course, the complete opposite. I'd be the person in the top photo, crying stood on top of my case with not enough room! Love the tips - mine is to pack bits of everyone's stuff in into each case. I am TERRIFIED of losing my luggage and I'm showing my age now but I have been in what I call the 'Russ Abbott' situation, where he is smoking his Hamlet cigar waiting for his suitcase to turn up on the carousel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, this is like a lesson in packing and I will be doing all of them!
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The black tip is brilliant! I love the little bikini bags too! My Mum taught me to roll many moons ago & you can also fit more in that way too! So excited for you all! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why did no one tell me to roll? I've been folding for years x

      Delete
  11. I have problems too Donna - have taken large bags to bring back dirty washing in for years - may go down the black bag route this year though! My hubby is the same as yours - takes him 2 minutes to pack (as long as his beloved football shirt is packed he's happy!). I've wondered about this rolling thing for a while - will definitely try it out this year. All this chat is really getting me in the holiday mood - can't wait! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I need to get my head around my hols - 3 weeks tomorrow, yippee!! x

      Delete
  12. Love the tip of scanning and e-mailing to yourself.....Very clever! I have to say I have been a roller for a few years now, and as you say it does work! Men really do get the long straw where the packing is concerned. They are like......Don't know what all the fuss is about? They will never be like us, or indeed understand the importance of a carefully edited holiday wardrobe??Perhaps, I wish I had been born a Man, no, maybe not!!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, don't say that. Men's clothes are so boring! x

      Delete
  13. I should have gone to the toilet before reading this as I was bursting and then this made me laugh so much....but seriously, around all the humour, there are some ace packing ideas. Thank you! Most not required on our staycation to England sadly. Yes, we are holidaying in the very place all you lot are scarpering from. And it will probably rain. But my beautifully rolled clothes will look great. My tip? Jettison...bring some wrecked things that you can leave behind to make room for shopping. I'm forever donating to charity shops when I'm away....to offset the guilt of all the shopping I've done. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm the source of amusement for you Avril. That's a fab tip Avril. Love it x

      Delete