A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

6.21.2014

Mamma-Mia, She's Nearly 70!

Alternative titles for this post:

1. A Mature Woman's Closet
2. How To Dress An Apple (Round) Body Shape
3. Cool Colour Palette - Your Best Colours
4. Mrs Clothes Horse

I'll just call it, My Mum

I've been meaning to write this post for ages. If there is one person who I truly believe dresses well for her age, it's my mum. That's because she dresses age appropriate, knows her body shape and which colours suit her. Put all that together and I think you get one classy lady. Mind you she drives me demented, every thing has to match, even the earrings (she's a Romantic style personality). I often feel a snort of disapproval should I ever dare to wear a silver bracelet with a gold necklace!!

Ladies with apple body shapes always seem to me to be the least confident, dwelling far too much on their imperfections and forgetting what great legs they have. It's just a matter of knowing how to dress your shape. Apples should ensure clothes hang from the shoulder as oppose to following the bodyline. Clothing lines should be straight and fabrics soft and fluid to avoid unnecessary volume or bulk. And most importantly, use lots and lots of accessories to draw the eyes away from your bad points.





I've only just noticed she has a matching watch on! I've seen it all now. Anyway, I love this mint green top, the detail on the arms is gorgeous. Bang on trend colour wise but a really flattering cut, it drapes softly over the bust but isn't too voluminous. The top is from Wallis here. Mum has accessorised it with navy blue trousers, a navy clutch and a chunky long necklace.

A well polished lady will know which colours are the most flattering. You'd be hard pressed to find sludgy beiges and khaki greens in Mum's wardrobe - she leaves that to me (urgh). Instead there's an array of cool colours, blues, pinks, purples, strawberry reds and so on which flatter her skin tone and complement her gorgeous silver hair.

Take this little butterfly top from New Look here (I didn't know she shopped at New Look, you go girl). The pretty tones on a white background really do suit Mum's skin tone.



And such a pretty top deserves a close up.




So, she shops in New Look but still dresses age appropriate. Good sleeve lengths, drapey fabrics and choice accessories all help. There's no mutton moment in this girl's wardrobe. Take this next outfit, the black top is from Marks & Spencer here, paired with white jeans, black and silver sandals and matching accessories (did I mention, she's a Romantic style personality).



Stunning, absolutely stunning. I love it all. Let's recap: the right colour (yes she gets black), the right shape (most definitely) and length (another tick), age appropriate (yep). So it's a perfect outfit - yes?

70 next month and she can even work an iPhone.



So we've established that she's great at dressing for her age but hey, let's not forget the fun factor. Throw a pair of Converse in the mix to shake things up. Love it. Teamed with dark jeans and a red studded top from Wallis (I can't find it online), I reckon she pulls a more causal look off with pazzaz. Wearing jeans that have a more formal cut are crucial and of course much more comfortable.



And so that's a brief look at what my mum is wearing at the moment. No doubt she'll refresh her wardrobe again come next week - I do keep telling her that clothes aren't disposable and they can be worn more than once!!!

So it's her birthday soon and as you would expect she'll be celebrating quietly in front of the television with her knitting. Well that's a big fat lie isn't it as I know full well she's off to Liverpool with Dad, her brother, sister and husband for a weekend of partying (apparently there are lots of museums and cultural things too).

Happy 70th birthday Mum, sorry I won't be there on the actual day.



Love you lots


Donna x

29 comments on "Mamma-Mia, She's Nearly 70!"
  1. I love this post! Your mum is super stylish indeed and I can relate to her matchy-match passion so well as I do the same ;-)
    Great that she doesn't rule out brands like New Look as it is all about keeping our eyes open in order to find what suits us.

    Annette | Lady of Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annette and I totally agree x

      Delete
    2. She looks fabulous! I really enjoy your blog posts and this one an especially lovely read.

      Michelle

      Delete
  2. Your mum is one stylish and classy lady! I love that she is not afraid to wear colour. I can't believe she is 69, she looks so much younger :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her wardrobe(s) are like rainbows - I love the cool colour palette x

      Delete
  3. Such a stunning lady. And I LOVE the fact that she shops in New Look. Go GIrl, indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is isn't she. I never knew she shopped there. Always been an M&S kind of lady x

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday Mummy Won't Wear Sludge! She looks great :) My mum is 54 & definitely likes bags, shoes etc to match. I'm always telling her to switch it up a bit but I think it's too late now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Mummy Won't Wear Sludge lol. Wow 54? Lou I'm nearer to your mums age than you!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  5. Your mum looks great Donna, very stylish and elegant for someone approaching ! My love of clothes came from my mum, she is also still buying from the same places as me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mum is GORGEOUS - wow isn't she fab?
    Happy big birthday to someone that looks 10 years younger

    Fiona
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll be over the moon with the 10 years Fiona x

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, go Mum! I hope I'm like that when I am her age! You are so right in your description of how to dress an apple, I do all of that! Trouble is the bigger you get, the more pronounced the apple! Last night I noticed one of Chloe's friends was an apple although very slim with legs like bits of string!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Creative Director at Colour Me Beautiful, Veronique Henderson is an apple and she is one stunning lady. I love her style x

      Delete
  8. Your mum looks fab Donna....I bought that Wallis top in cream before my hols and love it!! Just goes to show some styles suit all ages:) Have a great week!
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, I saw it on your blog yesterday, you looked lovely x

      Delete
  9. What a fabulously stylish mom you have, obviously you have inherited the her great sense of style.

    Happy Birthday to her.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  10. She looks so stylish and really happy! Particularly like the one of her wearing a pair of Converse, and love it that she shops in New Look too (as does my My Mum!)
    Abbi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a revelation to me Abbi, I never knew x

      Delete
  11. Wow Donna - your Mum looks amazing! Not only is she super chic but doesn't look her age at all! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh bless her! Your Mama is amazing & now I see where you get your great taste from! This is such a great post Donna & a fun read.....Loling at the matching watch comment! Happy Birthday Donnas Mum! Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun doing the photos Andrea, she's just like me, rubbish in front of the camera x

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday to your mum Donna! She certainly is one stylish lady and I agree with Andrea - you get your 'thang' from your mum - love it! I noticed the mint green watch straight away! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mum looks so stylish! I think you're right it's all about knowing what suits you and your mum certainly does. I hope I look even half as good when I'm her age. Lynne x

    ReplyDelete