A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

7.23.2014

Holiday Part 2, Boston (which involved a little shopping)

The next leg of our tour saw us take a quick plane ride over to Boston. Bizarrely you actually go through US customs in Canada - work that one out!  

We stayed at a Hilton in the Boston Back Bay area. Definitely nothing special but clean and tidy. As we arrived mid-afternoon we took a stroll down Newbury Street, a long, long, long road of shopping and picked up on the Nike Huraches search for the son (mentioned here last time). Convinced the Nike store would have them we headed over there and of course they didn't. 

However I did find a fab shop called Marshalls, a similar set up to TK Maxx. A quick sweep of the clothes yielded nothing of interest but they had some great bargains in the shoes section. Ralph Lauren leather flip flops $30 (reduced from $90), Sam Edelman sandals ($39.99) to name but two. And if you factor in the excellent exchange rate they are excellent value. Men's Calvin Klein boxer shorts for instance worked out at £3.30 a pair - that's a bargain.




Was I tempted? Yes a little but given I had packed 8 pairs of shoes plus 1 flip flop (the other was still in my wardrobe at home), I decided against it. If truth be known, I don't need any more summer shoes. Mind you that other flip flop would have been handy. 


Our first full day in Boston and we became 'proper' tourists by purchasing tickets for the hop-on hop-off trolly bus. A great way to see the city and hear about it's history from the tour guides. It was sweltering hot though - a lightweight dress was needed. Very old but very appropriate.



I love the mix of old and new buildings. There's so much history in Boston and of course Bostonians are very proud of their city.





That evening we had tickets to watch the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park. The previous day we asked a barman to explain the rules of the game. I kind of 'got' it- I think.



Rounders it isn't folks! It's far more complicated and there's lots of secret messages being passed between pitcher and catcher plus cat and mouse shenanigans between the pitcher and batter (are they the right terms?). 





Not just pie and chips here. Mind you at $10 for a small beer, it ain't cheap. 




Love how the son insisted on wearing our local football team shirt to a baseball game. 



We booked our tickets in February and these were the best seats left. Worth it to see that sky though. 




And of course they won but only just, and on the last run - thrilling!





I tried and failed to look as if I belonged there in a mango t-shirt, denim cut offs and trainers (trainers what the bloody hell was I thinking of, I looked a total geek). 



The following day was spent down at the harbour where we ate at the infamous James Hook & Co, really it's a shack of a place but the best lobster roll I have ever eaten. 



 


We visited the USS Constitution which the navy are rightly proud of. 



I thought my Breton striped dress was very fitting for the occasion.





We managed to fit in a little more shopping in the afternoon and resume the search for the trainers which by now was becoming particularly irritating. But the husband will never be beaten and in the very last sports shop in the whole of Boston, we found them. 

Hallelujah 







A grand saving of £20 - that's 20 flippin pounds for all the stress. He should have gone to Foot Locker at The Trafford Centre before we left.



I managed to slip off for an hour to a shop called Loft, I've never heard of it before but they had some lovely pieces. And I bought! 






Nothing that will set the world on fire but good basic pieces in lovely light fabrics. I've worn the chambray denim playsuit today. It's probably not the most flattering on me as there's a heck of a lot of fabric around the waist but it felt cool on such a hot day. 


The sizing is all over the place though. This is a small and I'm long bodied. The tops are a mixture of small, mediums and large. It's definitely try on territory and has sadly put me off ordering as I see they are now shipping to the UK.

Another dress for shopping - I think I counted 7 in total, all worn so my plan was a good 'un.



Our last full day in Boston was spent over on Cape Cod at Provincetown. It's a 90 minute journey on the fast ferry and is located on the extreme tip of Cape Cod. I'll let the pictures do the talking, it is truly a magical place.







 


Although I'm not so sure about the shopping opportunities!! 


Though I did spot this gorgeous vintage shop.



That evening back in Boston, we ate at a sports bar called Whiskeys, well there really was no choice as Red Sox were playing and we wanted to watch the game!!! Great ribs and salads and a pitcher of beer. Go-me!! It was one of those lovely warm and windy nights, perfect for jeans, back in my comfort zone.



So back to the hotel to pack up again. Actually not strictly true as so far we hadn't unpacked. With cases zipped up ready for an early start, we climbed into our bed with dreams of sun, sand and cocktails. And that my friends is another story. 




 Donna x
23 comments on "Holiday Part 2, Boston (which involved a little shopping)"
  1. Ooohhh, loving your holiday posts! Boston looks amazing! Lol at the flip flop and you were so good to resist shoe temptation! I love your buys from Loft and I think the play suit is super flattering on you - shows off your gorgeous legs. Fab post, Donna! Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic especially the baseball and food! Loft are a more casual sibling of Ann Taylor -I used to shop in both a lot when I needed 'business casual' for work. Good quality and prices but I think all us retailers vanity size these days - I'm a small at jcrew fir crying out loud!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks for that Joanna. They had some fab fab jeans. So comfortable and yes I had to size down twice! Alas ankle grazers were more cropped on my legs so sadly I left them behind x

      Delete
  3. Love this post! You look amazing in every outfit. I am the same colours as you so like your style a lot. Also love Loft when I go to the states. Really enjoying your holiday posts. Hx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Hayley. Tbh summer clothes are not my favourite, I never feel truly comfortable but the dresses were ok although not strictly my colours. Us Softs can get away with stronger colours with a tan x

      Delete
  4. I'm feeling all nostalgic now. I did my J1 summer on Cape Cod and have been back to Boston on numerous occasions both when I lived in the US and when my sister lived there recently. It's one of my favourite places. Loft started life as the outlet version of Ann Taylor so that may explain the inconsistency of sizes. Your pictures of PTown are just fab. Actually your pictures are making me feel all excited, because I'm off to the US in three weeks time, to visit my sister in Chicago. Your outfits are just perfect for sight seeing. I'm taking notes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky, lucky you. My uncle lived in Cape Cod when he first moved to the States back in the 70s. Sadly we never visited until he moved down to Orlando. I really must find out exactly which part of CC he lived. Of course I'm not jealous of your pending trip (liar, liar bums on fire) x

      Delete
  5. Great holiday pics...we had the same stresses looking for a particular pair of converse for the eldest daughter in New York...takes up half your trip!!:-) Looks like you had a fabulous time in Boston and some great shopping opportunities too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of a repeat thing in our lives starting with the search for a talking Tellytubby for the daughter many years ago. Like gold dust they were. And we actually ended up with 11 LaLas as my mum kept ordering them from a catalogue. She wanted Po!!!!

      Delete
  6. Wow again....what a holiday you've been on!! Loved reading all about the 2nd leg, great to see all about the places you have visited and thank you for sharing your purchases too! You picked up some great stuff and the best bit is that you won't be seeing anybody else in them!! Look forward to the next installment xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty incredible Michelle, our days were packed solid. I had envisaged shopping a lot more but when it came down to it, I couldn't be bothered spending time in shopping malls when there were better things to do x

      Delete
  7. Loved Boston - first stop on our honeymoon and the Red Sox were amazing - although the hubby says the beers were much cheaper back then! And Cape Cod too - you are so taking me back Donna! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place isn't it. I don't know why we haven't been before x

      Delete
  8. I so enjoyed this post - your trip looks amazing and I love your new purchases. Every outfit you have worn has been perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Boston architecture - those chocolate box houses! And I think the playsuit is lovely on you - if you tire of it, send it my way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always wanted to go to Boston, looks like you had an amazing trip and I'm looking forward to seeing the next part. Love your outfits, particularly the Breton dress and you look fab in the playsuit.
    Abbi x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, I just left a comment but there was an error, so I'll try again - just wanted to say that it looks like you had an amazing trip, you certainly packed a lot in. Love your travel wardrobe, the striped dress in particular looks great on you. Shame about the Loft sizing! It does prevent future online shopping when you know you'll have to send stuff back, it's a faff. P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And I agree, it has put me off ordering which is a shame xx

      Delete
  12. Lol! I went to Boston in 1994 & loved it! The houses are just gorgeous aren't they?! You bought some gorgeous pieces & I love all of the dresses you wore too! You look knockout in that Breton! Ax

    ReplyDelete