$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

7.30.2014

Revisiting An Old Brand, Esprit

I'm not going to deny that I spend far more time than is healthy surfing the web. This blog has been a godsend actually - when the husband looks over my shoulder and asks what I'm doing, I reply "research darling, research". What he doesn't see is the virtual bulging basket tucked away in the top right hand corner.

But you know, sometimes I get bored of looking at the same old brands. You most certainly have a problem when you can remember that the white oversized lace top is on page 3 of so-and-so brand. Get my drift?

So, in my desperate search for something new, I turned to Esprit and found this little beauty.


I first encountered Esprit about 20 years ago in Meadowhall in Sheffield. I bought a long line beige blazer which I adored and actually only got rid of last year which was pretty dopey on my part given the jacket lengths are dropping.  Anyway, back to this t-shirt. I think Esprit have underplayed the 'tee' word. In my eyes, it's more of a natty little top and a fabulous one at that. 

This is exactly what I look for in the top department. Draping, not clinging, a wide neck which is far more flattering and cute little sleeves. It's silky at the front and jersey at the back And all for £29. One in every colour please! Oh it only comes in one colour. Esprit if you're reading this, it's a fab little top, can you make some more colour ways please. 

It's a top that would start out in my wardrobe as a going out piece, black jeans and heels and then demoted to blue denim, a blazer and boots. 

Speaking of which, I spotted these boots too. Not dissimilar to the Rag & Bone Newburys that several of my blogging friend snagged last year. Of course at £55 they're not leather but if you're looking for a versatile ankle boot which I assume will be as good a quality as Esprit clothing then these could just be it. And I love the contrasting sole which lifts the whole boot.


I think the top would look great with distressed (but not messy and hole-y) jeans. Something like these. They're straight legged as oppose to skinny, much easier to do a deep turn-up.




For ladies that like a slightly higher rise, they are just that. I've never bought jeans from Esprit and would be interested to know how they fit. Let me know if you have any experience.

And this my friends would be a perfect outfit for today, temperatures have dropped in Cheshire so it's back in skinnies although I am trying to avoid a jacket. That will last 10 minutes I'm sure.




It was slightly warmer yesterday so I broke out the Breton dress again and teamed it with ankle boots - aren't these a great colour for elongating the leg.



Have a good week, I'm loving the lie-ins.


Donna x




31 comments on "Revisiting An Old Brand, Esprit"
  1. Love those boots with the Breton dress. Re Esprit jeans, I bought a pair about three years ago in TK Maxx. In fact, they're not dissimilar to the ones you've shown here; straight legs, similar wash. I find them fab. They've lasted well (but to be fair they were given a long rest when I wore nothing but skinnies!) are true to size, great waist rise ... yeah! I'd definitely recommend. Actually Esprit is a shop I haven't looked at in ages - thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know, I noticed that if you hover over the sizing it gives you more details based on reviews - a great idea.

      Delete
  2. I've never shopped in Esprit but maybe I should have a look. I think we all get stuck in a shopping rut with certain shops so it's always great to discover somewhere new. I too spend far too much time 'researching' online.

    I livd the Breton and boots outfit. Such a great look!

    I too am in Cheshire and it's definitely chillier today! I'm in jeans (is if wrong that I'm quite enjoying wearing them again ???).

    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne, yes it is a dull day today and I too felt great pleasure putting on my jeans this morning. We are sad! I was impressed with quite a few things on the Esprit website - the only thing I would have liked more of is blazer colours. x

      Delete
  3. I would always check Esprit out and have linked to it a few times on the blog. It would seem to be bigger in mainland Europe - I have a friend who stocks up every time she's abroad! Currently, my striped jacket that I've worn a few times is from there. I got it in a local department store near Belfast - it's beautifully made and finished. Off for a peek now - I've not looked at their website for a long time and I'm loving that top! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some fab little t-shirts and tops. It's back on my radar Avril x

      Delete
  4. I love Esprit. I never shop online with them (will rectify that) but when I go to London it's the one store I go to and ALWAYS buy from. I love them!
    I think you amazing. I can't believe you're 63

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee thanks Fiona. Not bad am I for a pensioner!!!!!! x

      Delete
  5. I haven't looked at Esprit for years either, and that's a great T, liking the look of the boots too. Looking good in your Breton dress and boots!
    Sue
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Sue I was really surprised. Thank you xx

      Delete
  6. I've always heard good things about esprit quality, it's not somewhere I'd think of but I'm loving what you picked out especially the boots! Breton dress is fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look super cute in your dress and have to say I haven't bought anything in Espirit for years, love your picks though x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never been called cute before lol, thanks xx

      Delete
  8. Oh I remember when Esprit had a store in Meadowhall too - and then it disappeared ... I wonder why? It had some nice things.

    Anyway, I love the Breton dress and boots combo - spotted it on Instagram and thought nice boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can picture it too. It was the first time I had ever come across the brand. I had a bit of a splurge that day xx

      Delete
  9. That is one fabulous outfit, I love that t-shirt, although agree it is more a top than a tee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to shop there when I lived in London but they have fallen off my radar since moving to the country, will definitely check out online after reading this. Love your Breton dress with the ankle boots!
    Abbi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must go to the London shop next time I'm there xx

      Delete
  11. Love the T.....that looks fab! There was a huge Esprit in Bristol but it disappeared.....I am off to peruse online! Love the OOTD.......great pose too Donna! :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure there used to be an Esprit section in House of Fraser until recently... Was rather All Saints in its look. I find it a lot on ASOS and it does look fab. There's also a huge shop on Regent St but unfortunately I do think it does get lots amongst all the other High Street Angels that are on there (and nowhere else!) But amazing bits you've picked - particularly love the boots. They're gorgeous.

    And you look SO cute in the dress and boots. Just perfect for this weather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat and yes I think you're right, I think I may have seen Esprit in H of F at some stage x

      Delete
  13. I haven't looked at Esprit for years but that t-shirt would look fab under a black blazer so will have to pop by & take a peak!
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks a bit Mint Velvet doesn't it Jane x

      Delete
  14. Love this outfit Donna! Can't remember the Esprit at Meadowhall but then it is a long time ago! If you're ever back home and fancy a coffee let me know ...! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before your time Jenny - obviously. Yes would love to meet up, let's do it x

      Delete
  15. What a fab outfit! Love the tee & boots! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely picks! I'll have to check out their site. Love your Breton dress. xxx
    The Jolly Fashionista

    ReplyDelete