$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

8.07.2014

Bit Of A Wobble But I'm Doing Ok

Day 7 of August and I haven't bought anything. That's nearly a quarter of the month gone. I had a bit of a wobble the other night though when I saw this, as those who follow me on Twitter will know.

It's from Masato Studio here and I think it's stunning. I'm positive it's one of those pieces that will look amazing on. I've been toying with a pencil skirt (my best shape) for a while now as I've really got out of the habit of wearing them. I love the idea of teaming with a little jumpe and heels. The skirt is actually navy with black ribbon stripes, although I don't think you can really see that from the photo. It would probably give me a headache working out what colour to wear on top given I don't really do much black but hey I'll get by. So unusual but a complete classic for the wardrobe. This makes my number 2 on the wish list.

Staying with bottoms, I decided out of the blue the other day that I'm going to try to wear less jeans in the coming months. I'm mopping my brow as I type. Quite frankly I'm bored of skinnies. There I've said it. Ok, so they're always going to feature heavily in my wardrobe but it would be nice to break up the monotony once in a while with something else. So, I'm on the look out for cigarette pants. I searched for the perfect pair last year but they didn't exist. They have to be flat fronted, pencil legged, sit just below the waist (no lower thank you) and ankle grazers but not too short. That combination wasn't out there for me last year.  So here I am a year later searching for last year's fashion when peg legs are apparently the 'in' thing this year - oh perish the thought.

Choices so far are...

Good old Next always come up trumps for basics. These are everything I want to see in a trouser. And with the option of different lengths, I'm sure I can find a pair that skim the ankles. Mind you, I'd prefer them without the zip pockets but beggars can't be chooses. The plainer the better for me and because of my OCD tendencies, the silver zip will trouble me when I'm wearing gold jewellery. God, I need locking up. Anyway, they come in black, navy, blue and berry. Considered them ordered (obviously not in August).

Next Ultimate Capri Trousers £38







Moving on to Atterley Road, these are kind of ok, the pleated fronts worry me slightly (anyone with a tummy will know what I mean) but I do like the overall look. And they're navy so a big tick.

Atterley Road Vila Pilar Pant £35


Golly look at the size of her feet though! I'm sure they're not that big in real life!!!

I had in mind black, navy or charcoal but these next ones caught my eye.

Great Plains Tally Ho Trousers £65 (love the name)






I don't think I'd do the full-on co-ord arrangement but the trousers are pretty much perfect. Ideally I would have liked an extra inch on the bottom as I'd prefer not to expose too much flesh to the elements come November. Great with my more neutral tops. I've mentally counted 5, I'm sure there are many more options in my wardrobe.

And from Very, an online store I rarely visit.

Myleene Klass Pencil Leg Trouser £29


Shocking styling I might add, the white band on the jumper along with a shorter leg length does her no favours at all. Her legs look....well stumpy. I'm guessing the length on these will be a tad short for me - anyone know how tall Myleene is? Anyway, it says low stock, selling fast so I guess they will all be gone come September when I'm back in the land of buying.


I'm not adverse to a turn up so these Karen Millen ones make the cut. Actually, I'll be off for a rummage after I've written this. I have some nude pink ones exactly the same unless they went out in the last charity bag.

Karen Millen Cotton Slim Capri Trouser £99



And that's really all I can summon up the energy for tonight. It's not as fun 'window' shopping is it?

The Next trousers take the number 3 position on my wish list just because they do navy and black.



A couple of outfits from the last two days. The weather is definitely turning. There's been a nip in the air first thing but by lunch time it's been much warmer. I know minging - same jeans but at least I changed my shoes. All seen before and everything old except the jacket which I featured last time here






Add caption
17 comments on "Bit Of A Wobble But I'm Doing Ok"
  1. I haven't caved either! Love the Karen Millen shirt with those trousers! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Sharron. It's like having a big elephant on my back all of the time, I can't stop thinking about it x

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you could find me some cig pants I would be so grateful. I have 'strong' calves and the requirement for trousers not to cling to them along with all those you have noted has meant I, despite, three years of looking has come to zero pants purchased. Seriosly considering wide leg trousers this year but styling them and covering tummy.....no mean feat. Well done on no spenfing challenge, on 24 days to go:-D
    Go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain. It drove me mad last year and that was only 1 season so 3 years - wow, I admire your tenacity. Have you tried peg legs? They might not work around the tummy area though. I love wide legs but these days sadly because my leg shape is lost and I have NO waist, I kind of look 1 or 2 sizes bigger than I really am. Oh the joys of being a woman! x

      Delete
  4. Well done for not caving Donna!! There are just too many tempting things about!! I haven't bought anything for 3 weeks now....I can't quite believe how that's happened but I would love to turn that into a month which would be a real achievement for me!! Can I do it? Knowing I'm not alone is helping me along! Stay strong!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flippin eck Michelle you've done well. You're nearly at the one month mark. Just drink wine, it helps! x

      Delete
  5. I'm like you Donna....love my jeans but want a few alternatives. Bought houndstooth tailored trousers the other day and can't wait to wear them:) That skirt is fab also:)
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goody Anne, we're singing off the same page. That's exactly it, a few alternatives. Can't wait to see the new trews x

      Delete
  6. The next cigarette trousers looks great, and I'm glad I am not the only one who suffers the gold - silver thing ! Well done on not caving, not too long now.
    Sue x
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually seen the trousers in person now...watch out for the next post (I didn't buy by the way). A fellow OCD sufferer x

      Delete
  7. I rarely wear jeans as skinny jeans don't go over my runners calves & if they do I find them uncomfortable so I'd much rather wear a slim trouser too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just getting the right for me though Lou, being a peculiar shape and all x

      Delete
  8. Gosh this must be torture but I love how you are "mentally" racking up your list. Does this mean on the 1st of September you just hit the button?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of hoping that I may have tired of looking at the wish list by then and decide they're not for me. THAT is unlikely to happen though x

      Delete
  9. I love your ripped jeans, that's a great outfit! You've got some great pieces on your list for September, I'm trying to reduce mine but there is so much I need (want!) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. I really like them too, so comfortable. Need Vs Want. Always a tough one lol x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so with you Donna & have been eyeing up this type of trouser too! You know I've had a love hate relationship with jeans lately & with a return to work on the cards I do need some smarter bottoms! Loving your ever growing wishlist & look forward to the next installment! Ax

    ReplyDelete