A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

8.22.2014

She's Back, Mama's Back!

Bonmarche recently got in touch and asked if I would review one of their items. I knew just the (wo)man for the job, my mum! So, I asked her to look online and choose something up to the value of £30. Of course she takes her assignments very seriously and took it upon herself to visit a Bonmarche shop to check out what's currently in store. And by the way, she said the staff were delightful, very helpful and courteous.

She chose the Ponte Printed Panel Dress by David Emanuel (yes David himself, as in, I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here - ha! you thought I was going to say, as in, he who designed Princess Diana's wedding dress didn't you).



A take on the illusion dress with a faux belt at the waist line. Now don't get all uppity with me when I tell you it's a viscose/polyester mix. I for one think it's a great fabric for durability. What I mean is you can put it on in the morning and it will keep it's shape all day without creasing. It's an easy wear, easy care dress. Predominantly black with a white pattern running down the centre. although it actually looks silver.

And here she is modelling it.


She's wearing a size 14 so it's a good generous size. Her comments, 'very comfortable indeed'. If I say it myself, I think the colours of the dress look stunning with her hair.



And a close up of the belt detail.



Teamed with a black, white and grey clutch and 'high' shoes. I asked her if she had any black heels. She got these out! They are about an inch high. My god, I run in heels higher than them. Love the pop of colour on her nails though.


The more I look at this dress, the more I think it could cross several generations. I had a look at Amy Childs, queen of optical illusion dresses and I have to say, they weren't dissimilar to this one. In fact I'll go as far as saying that this is more flattering than some that Amy has worn in the past. Go and have a look online, you'll see what I mean. Teamed with heels and a blazer, it would make great office attire. And it won't crease so you'll go home looking half decent as oppose to a crumpled mess.

Mum being mum didn't stop there. She also spotted this red cape blouse again by David Emanuel and bought that too.



Golly, she looks good for her age.


It actually photographs slightly orange. It isn't - the colour is truer on the Bon Marche model above. It's a much cooler red so probably not so great for red-heads and warm skin tones.


The necklace comes with the top too. Normally Mum, Queen of accessories would have gone off-piste and added her own jewellery but I made her wear this one for the photos.




Teamed with white trousers, silver sandals and bag for a summer look but she plans to swap the trousers for black ones come winter. The double layer makes it super flattering.


There's actually very few sizes left online but you may find them in store (Mum saw the same top in a pale grey colour way too).

Have you ever shopped in Bonmarche? Me neither. But after looking at the website I'd say it definitely delivers what it says on the tin,

'Bonmarche design fashion for real women with style that doesn't compromise on comfort and comes in sizes 10-24'. 

I couldn't have put it any better myself. Do go and have a look yourself.

So thanks Bonmarche for the dress, we had a lovely afternoon playing dress up. And thanks Dad for the loan of the garden and beloved summer house. Oh and Mum said, if any other brands would like to work with her, you can contact her via this blog! Delusions of grandeur if you ask me. Either that or a comedian!

Anyway, on a side note, I'd just like to point out that her daughter (aka me) is busy being a keyboard warrior on a Friday evening. And Mum? Well she's off out with her friends for a night on the tiles. Something not right there.


Donna x

The dress was gifted by the people of Bonmarche. Mum paid for the top in full herself.





28 comments on "She's Back, Mama's Back!"
  1. Before you said about the dress working for many generations I was honestly thinking how fab this would look on you, why didn't you get one for yourself? I also love the red top, it's a great style xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never have an occasion to wear it though...but if I worked in a smart office, well I would certainly give it a go x

      Delete
  2. Wow, go your Mom! She looks amazing and you can see she is loving every minute of being the model of the moment! Great dress and fab colour top! Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's looking forward to her next assignment Helen x

      Delete
  3. Mama is a Darl!!! She needs her own blog!! I think she is such a good sport but also has great taste & she does know what she likes & what looks good on her! I went into Bon Marche the other day & bought my MIL a nightie & I have to say their jewellery selection is actually quite nice & there were some pieces in there that I would wear! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when you bring your mum onto the blog. We see far too many images of young women yet to finish going through pubity, it can slightly skew how you see yourself. I think your mum looks incredible and oozes style by the bucket load. Whilst I am not a Bon Marche shopper I have some very fond memories been dragged round with my Grandma. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comments. I'm going to feature her regularly as it's good to see different shapes and colourings x

      Delete
  5. Your mum makes a super model Donna!! She looks great in the dress, but the top is my fav as she looks wondeful in that colour!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous clothes you would never know they are that reasonable. And yes your mum looks stunning in them x

    ReplyDelete
  7. She looks fab! Make Mama a monthly feature.
    Bonmarche emailed me a couple of months ago offering a dress of my choice to review. They clearly hadn't even looked at my blog as I was heavily pregnant and they don't stock maternity!
    Gave me a good laugh before I politely declined!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks AMAZING, I am thinking of encouraging a 60 something friend who hasn't bought a single item of clothing since about 1989 to have a bit of an update. So these posts are a really good tip as to the sort of direction to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, golly that's going some. Thought I was doing well not making a purchase for 1 whole month! x

      Delete
  9. Your Mum is such a lovely model Donna - she looks fantastic in her dress! Great top too - style and colour! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Mum looks great in both items! My mum shops in BonMarche, it actually surprised me when I was in there with her last, there were a few things I would have worn myself. I think you're right that the dress can suit quite a few generations, it's classic but with a nod to modern trends too.

    Lovely post! I look forward to seeing what else your Mum ends up modelling! P x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooohhh, your mum looks fab! She has such great style! Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doesn't she look fantastic? I agree it's a dress for all ages, and very flattering.
    Abbi x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, your mum looks stunning and both those pieces! I love the dress . I think it would suit a younger person too- it's so classy
    She should deffo feature on your blog more often!
    Miss Tulip x
    The Thrifty Magpies Nest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, it's a great dress. And yes, she'll be back x

      Delete
  14. Great post - your mum looks fab - your review was so detailed and really helpful - Hope you don't mind if I pop back sometime soon - I like it here x

    ReplyDelete