A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

8.21.2014

The Qbic Hotel, Quite Possibly The Wackiest Place In London

Nothing to do with fashion at all but I have to tell you about this little jewel.

Last Saturday we found ourselves in London after watching the husband's beloved football team play at Woking. We had already decided to stay over just because well, we could. It's very rare for the four of us to have a free Sunday. 

We booked into the Qbic Hotel, close to Brick Lane in Shoreditch as we wanted to spend some time exploring Tower Bridge. 

The group describes itself as 'deliciously different' 

Qbic is a hotel for you, the curious and the independent. A design hotel which offers a perfect night’s sleep in a perfect room as a matter of course. An affordable hotel packed with unexpected experiences.


And it certainly lived up to this statement. 


I'm normally a fluffy dressing gown and free slippers type of girl. The one that nicks the pens and freebies in the bathroom. The Qbic offers none of the frills but all of the style. Clever really!

We booked two fun rooms. I guess they're called fun, because they really are. I've borrowed some of the images from the hotel itself but given I only have good things to say about it, I'm sure they won't mind.


This is a cosy room (i.e. no windows), exactly the same as ours just smaller. It isn't a purpose built building, I'd go as far to say it looks like old offices as our windows were huge. Check out that lamp - it's a hose pipe!





Wacky isn't it. I had to wake up to an Ena Sharples lookalike! Mind you I slept on an organic superking bed whatever that means, but it was comfortable. There's a large flat screen t.v. at the foot of the bed and free wifi throughout the hotel.

And the wardrobe, well, it's a work of art. And I'm not exaggerating. The hotel group commissioned designers to come up with wacky and unusual alternatives. Can you imagine being given that brief? Kids in a candy shop springs to mind.  





The bathroom is a pod (although the kids chose the largest room and they had a fabulous New York style bathroom).





Clean, modern, fab shower, in fact everything you need in a bathroom.

The open plan reception, dining, kitchen area is a feast for the eyes. One-off designs are everywhere. 




The son trying to look super cool and just about pulling it off. 





Lol! Solo travellers would always have someone to keep them company.





At £7.50, breakfast is a bargain. Ok if you want a full English, you aren't going to get it here but as Continentals go, it was pretty darn good. Cereal, fruit, fresh yoghurts, croissants, hams, cheese etc. You can even buy a panini from the vending machine and pop it into the panini maker. 


My breakfast, muesli, natural yoghurt and fresh fruit. I'm not a morning person so this was quite enough.





A quick 2 minute walk to Aldgate East tube and no more than 5 minutes to the City so perfectly placed for Mr/Mrs Businessman. 


Oh and the best bit, there's parking in a huge, secure car park at the back. We're talking proper sized spaces as well, not those piggly little ones that you can't even park a Fiat 500 in. I noticed a few sponsored bikes in a bike rack too - for guests to borrow. Qbic links up with a charity, Bikeworks to raise money for disadvantaged people. You need to go and look at the website (link here), it's such a good idea.


Wow, I could go on. There's so much more to say such as the eco-friendly approach, I think the hotel sums it up nicely....a tiny little environmental footprint, not a great big stomp


I saw this in reception.






It's hard to believe that this place has not even had it's first anniversary yet. It was fully booked when we were there. Truly impressive Qbic, truly impressive. Large hotel chains should take a leaf out of your book.





I challenge anyone not to be happy staying here. I'd sacrifice the freebie bathroom bits any day for this wacky, crazy, wonderful hotel. 
This is not a sponsored post, I did not receive any financial gain for this review and we paid for our rooms in full. And just to prove that I actually stayed, here I am with Ena Sharples.





Donna x




12 comments on "The Qbic Hotel, Quite Possibly The Wackiest Place In London"
  1. Oooh, how super cool is this hotel? Never heard of it but definitely going in the little black book for future reference! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither had I but it was amazing and the staff were brilliant x

      Delete
  2. It looks so amazing Donna & its so much fun to do something different!! That wardrobe is better then my own shoddy clothes rail!! Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun is definitely the word to describe it Andrea. I'm sure there must be a market for the wardrobes! x

      Delete
  3. This place looks amazing really cool! I have a friend who lives in Bethnal Green, just down the road so next time I see her I shall check this place out!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing Donna! Loving that bathroom! Will bear it in mind for the future! Do you accompany your hubby to all the games? Macclesfield town isn't it? I've only ever been to one Sheffield U game with the hubby and that was enough! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have much choice Jenny! Booooooo to Sheffield United, we're Wednesday supporters in my family x

      Delete
    2. But just think you could be shopping! My brother's a Wednesday supporter - makes for interesting table talk when he's home! xx

      Delete
  5. looks fabulous Donna will have to try and stay there next time I need a hotel in London x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an interior designer Paula, you would absolutely love it x

      Delete
  6. Looks amazing Donna...really unique! Have a lovely weekend:)
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete