A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

8.25.2014

Turning A Boring Old Outfit Into Something A Little Smarter

Unless I'm still in my pyjamas this is how my husband sees me in the morning before he goes to work.



Boring isn't it! A pair of brown (not sludge) skinnies and a very old stone coloured Mint Velvet basic long sleeved top. Oh and a pair of stolen slippers from a holiday past. I may as well pose in my vest and pants for how under-dressed I feel.

So, I added a Wallis necklace and a few bracelets. Oh and pulled up the sleeves.


The necklace.


And bracelets, I love mixing them up.


I lost the slippers and rolled up the jeans. Feeling almost human now.




Put on a pair of ankle boots. It's amazing how your posture changes even with a small heel.


And last but not least, added a jacket.




Just a reminder!



I know which I prefer. Sadly hubby doesn't get to see the final result as normally I'm back in my 'jamas when he gets home. Ho hum.

Have a great rainy Bank Holiday. Guess where I'm off to - football again!!!!! Such a good wife.

Donna x

32 comments on "Turning A Boring Old Outfit Into Something A Little Smarter"
  1. Love this! Amazing what a few small ideas can do to change an outfit from drab to fab

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this sort of post, Donna, and like you, I feel naked without accessories and finishing touches. Love that necklace so much. Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those things that you see and have to make a quick dash in to town to purchase, I loved it so much x

      Delete
  3. Great post Donna, although my slouching outfit as stylish as yours to start off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super styling Donna! Such a great way to dress up some basics xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Donna for the inspiration, great post as always.
    Sue x
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this too & it just goes to show that a few accessories go a long way! Love the slippers.....can you pinch me a pair next time you go away! ;) Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my best Andrea. They only come in white though x

      Delete
  7. In the last two pics, I am the one before the dressing up when I am dressed up. The second one is how I definitely see you - you're one of those women I envy who wear jewellery and make it look natural. I look like I'm playing dress up. But you are totally right, just a few tweaks can take an outfit from plain to plain lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you look pretty darn good in the before shot anyway. Love the jacket and you do make jewellery look fab. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. you look great in both, I really love the jacket, I am unashamedly seeking out browns after your colour advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you very much Alexandra, good luck with the search x

      Delete
  10. Love the way you've transformed this outfit Donna although you look good to start off with - you should see my morning outfit (and hair - it's horrific!)! I agree with Sue above - looks so natural on you! I am so lazy with accessories - really must get out of my rut! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine goes out the door at 6.20 so all he sees is the big duvet over my head, cos his alarm drives me nuts!! I like how you added the details to the outfit Donna:)
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous post! I like Sue envy how you can get away with such great jewelry - it always makes me feel 'over the top' - I love great arm candy though! A jacket can transform any outfit can't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna, as you know, I love a jacket x

      Delete
  13. Love this post, so true - my husband always sees me in my comfy lounging around clothes! You look great in both pics, but love the addition of the little jacket
    Abbi x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Necklaces and jackets. My favourites . I m over 6ft so my wardrobe isn t vast and choice is often limited but everything can be lifted by accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love this, from drab to fab! its such a great example of me at home, jeans and slippers and a top, add all the peripherals and you end up a fabulous outfit! you look gorgeous!!XXX

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is utter genius - love it! Ax

    ReplyDelete