$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

9.03.2014

Could This Be A New Way Of Shopping For Me?


Well, the 31 day no-spend challenge in August was a roaring success. Yes really. I spent zilch, zero , not even diddly squat. I'm not going to lie, the first 10 days were absolute bloody torture particularly as autumn-wear is my favourite (by a mile) season.

I didn't bend the rules, no vouchers were spent, I received no gifts and didn't even borrow anything from the daughter. Surprisingly it's been a refreshing experience and has (I hope) changed the way I shop in future. You see, I'm very much an emotional-impulse buyer. I'll go out for jeans and come back with a dress. Did I need the jeans in the first place? Who knows? But I most certainly didn't need the dress.

You may recall that I started a wish list...

Having pondered this over the last few weeks, I realise that actually as much as I love the skirt, it's something I wouldn't wear that much. Ok, it would be in my wardrobe for ever and ever but my lifestyle really doesn't dictate this item at the moment. So, it's been 'put on hold' for the time being. I still like the swing shirt from Next but I've seen better. Why on earth I didn't put this one on my wish list is beyond me. I daren't even check if it's still in stock. So that leaves the capri trousers, skinny joggers and Next faux fur jacket. And I think they are all useful additions to my wardrobe. So, making a proper list and pondering over it as oppose to running out and making a rash purchase seems to be the way forward.

Not that I ran out on 1st September or anything but I did make a couple of purchases. I am in need of alternatives to skinnies, so I popped down to H&M to look at these skinny joggers.


They're all sold out now! However I picked up this pair, I hate the way they've been styled but in real life, they are really rather nice.

H&M Sweatpants £14.99


The material is quite thin but that probably helps them to drape better. Here I am for a day at home - I have the lurgy so vow not to pass it on to any of my fellow citizens.



I promise to style it better when I feel half human again. I'm thinking, heeled ankle boots, white shirt and a blazer for starters.

For the foreseeable future, I've set myself a monthly challenge to spend less than £100 per month. God only knows what I'll do when I need boots/bags/coats etc. Save up I guess! Next purchase will be the cigarette pants (I hope).

The daughter is off to Cambodia on Friday and then when she gets back, has less than 24 hours before she's due to attend Fresher's at Uni. I feel faint just thinking about the jet lag/hangover combination.

Have you made any purchases this month? Anything I should know about? Not that I'm nosy or anything...


Donna x










21 comments on "Could This Be A New Way Of Shopping For Me?"
  1. I have bought a houndstooth pair of pants and a mustard knit. A coat and ankle boots are next on my list. Hope your daughter enjoys Cambodia and how excitiing to be starting uni!
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, she is apparently having a fantastic time x

      Delete
  2. I saw these in my local H&M but didn't have time to try on, they look great on you, so I will be checking them out. I am guilty of the odd impulse buy but have promised that I will carefully consider each purchase in future, seems to be a good mantra. Hope you feel better soon.
    Sue x
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm top of the world again now, thanks Sue. When the joggers come out of the wash, I'll try to smarten them up a little x

      Delete
  3. Those look fantastic Donna, hope your feeling better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, Donna. I wish I looked that good when I am I'll! You look fab! Love the joggers. I did overspend in August after all but have not spent a penny since returning home a week and a half ago so I'm trying to redeem myself! Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I went downhill rapidly after this photo Lynne. You've done well not to buy anything since your hol x

      Delete
  5. The joggers look really good on you actually and now I know I can't buy them as I am shorter than you by about a foot! And you do look remarkably well for a poorly person. And happy. Is that because you love your joggers so much?

    And in August ... I bought a lot of shoes. Say no more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, they are just the right length on me Sue so yes you would get a turn up or 3 out of them. The smile was fake. Yes and know about you and your shoes!!!! x

      Delete
  6. I did buy a couple of things in J CRew whist on my hols and my bargain Joie top. These are technically AUgust PUrchases but now I'm saving myself for some boots. Your joggers look great in casual mode but I can definitely see them styled with a blazer and heels too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I can't wait to try the jogger/blazer combo x

      Delete
  7. We are on the same page here Donna as I have had the same epiphany as I have been considering my purchases and how much I will wear things too! I challenged myself only to spend £100 on clothes last year during Oct, Nov and Dec and I was able to mange with that budget quite well so I look forward to seeing how you do! Love the joggers on you, a great alternative to jeans for a change! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying so hard not to veer from my plan. So far, so good but it's very tempting x

      Delete
  8. You've done so well and such a sensible strategy going forward, I really should take a leaf out of your book but it will have to wait until after I've been shopping in Monday as I've not been to any real shops all summer! Love the joggers by the way, and can't wait to see them with heels.
    Abbi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol you make it sound as if you live in the Amazon jungle or something Abbi. I'm sure you can find the odd High Street shop within a 30 mile radius??? x

      Delete
  9. Joggers & Capri pants are needed in my wardrobe too! I think I need a job Donna & then I can smarten up my act & then relax in slim joggers! Now theres a plan! Hope Your feeling better Darl?! Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still searching for the capri pants Andrea. And, if I could find a decent pair of black joggers, I'd wear them to the office with a blazer. Now that would stir it up a little x

      Delete
  10. They look great Donna - I like the fabric and well done with the spend ban! I can't even remember what I bought in August, it seems so long ago! I daren't tell you what I wear when I have the lurge - hope you feel better soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the capri pants from Next - they are amazing

    ReplyDelete