$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

9.22.2014

Show And Tell! Altuzarra for Target


So, as promised the results are in and here is my full review of Target's new collaboration with Altuzarra (c/o Net-A-Porter for UK readers).

I ordered it last Sunday for next working day delivery i.e. Tuesday. Unfortunately I missed the delivery man so didn't actually take receipt until Friday. Well that was a waste of the £8 super quick service wasn't it (partly my fault, partly NAPs inflexibility to change the delivery address). You can see where this is going can't you.

Even though it's a cheap collaboration, NAP doesn't disappoint. You still receive a little black box!



Ok, I'm going to give you 3 prices here. The UK price, the USA price and the USA price conversion to sterling. Judge for yourself whether you think it's good value.

Warning: bad photography and looking rough but I needed to get them done tonight as there may be returns involved!

First up is the Embellished Georgette Top. Now I thought this would be my favourite as I love the colour and it's in my colour palette.



UK Price: £45
US Price: $45
Conversion: £27.50

Size: Medium

The top is see through so a cami would be needed. Not a bad thing really but thought you ought to know. The embellishment is actually finished off really well. Put it this way, I've had worse for a lot more money! The size is generous - I could easily have got away with a small. I think my biggest disappointment is that it's really voluminous. You can see the excess fabric underneath my arm. I don't think it would be any different if I sized down either. That said, it's a good shape for an apple as it flares out gradually from the bust downwards.

Verdict: It's a return I'm afraid.

Next is the Pinstriped Crepe De Chine Shirt


UK Price: £30.00
US Price: $29.99
Conversion £18.30

Size Medium

I thought this looked ok in real life but now seeing it on camera, it's slightly see-through and again on the large side so I look bigger than I really am. It would fit into my wardrobe very well but I think there may be more flattering versions (for me) out there.

Verdict: Another return

The third item is the Python Print Georgette Pussy-Bow Blouse (try saying that when you've had a glass of wine or two!!)



UK Price: £35.00
US Price: S34.99
Conversion: £21.40

Size Medium

Ok, I'm looking particularly fed up now, I know. I couldn't even be bothered to tuck it in. I mean, the blouse is ok as it goes. I like the deep cuffs and the colouring. Because it's such a classic cut, I think it will need careful styling to stop it from looking mumsie. I'm not sure I can be bothered.

Verdict: Back it goes

And finally, the Orchid Print Georgette & Cotton Blend Sweatshirt




UK Price: £30.00
US Price: $29.99
Conversion: £18.30

Size Medium

This should be all wrong, it's dark, it has a bold pattern and a high neck. All no-nos in my book but it's actually ok. With my hair and make-up done, a pair of black cigarette pants (I may have made a purchase today along with some new shoes - more on that another time), I think this has the makings of a nice outfit. It's never going to be fabulous on me, but it's a change. It's described as a sweatshirt but the fabric is thinner - a plus point as it's less bulky for smarter wear. The front panel is a silky georgette, I need to check it's not see-through but it doesn't look as if it is going to be on this photo. All in all, very pleasing indeed.

Verdict: A keeper

*A note...given that most retailers mark up approximately 3 times, it means that the sweatshirt was bought in at around £6.10. It's actually cost me £38 as I was stupid enough to pay for swift delivery. Wow! That difference hurts.

Joanna over at Poppy's Style called into Target last week to do a proper recce of the new collaboration. From her photos, it looks horrendous. I have to say that there must be extra quality control measures over at NAP as I found no loose threads. In fact the make-up of the garments seems pretty good. Ok, there were a few creases in the blue shirt but the other 3 items were perfectly fine. Look at Joanna's picture of the black sweatshirt and then look at mine - no creases! Interesting that, isn't it!

I guess my final verdict is it's ok-ish. And I think that's what the general British public are saying too as most items are still available at NAP unlike the previous Peter Pilotto which sold out pretty quickly.

Anyway, here is what I wore today.



Autumn is ace isn't it. I loved getting my slightly warmer jackets out although it was VERY warm in the afternoon.



And to shop my style....


A beautiful coat next time on the blog.

Until then, have a good week and no kicking those fallen leaves, you don't know what's underneath them (says she who had to stand in the river and clean doggy do-do off my wellies today).

Donna x

19 comments on "Show And Tell! Altuzarra for Target"
  1. WOW, your photos tell the story - I'd (personally) return it all, even the last one that you like. I think you like it because all the other items are so crap!
    I also think you look 100x happier and better in your own choices of clothes. Sometimes these collaborations are dire .. this one is terrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tbh Fiona I really wasn't in the mood for a try-on session at all. The black sweatshirt does look much better on and I've been looking for a going out top for ages. Will try on tomorrow with fresh make-up x

      Delete
  2. Hi Donna, isnt it disappointing when you have such high hopes for these collaborations. Love the sweatshirt by the way, but agree the rest just looks so no no!!
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my reservations from the word go tbh Helen but thought I'd check it out. There's much nicer stuff out there on the High street I feel x

      Delete
  3. Even with great makeup and great hair, there are some clothes you can't make great. And you always know when something isn't quite right. I ordered the black sweatshirt too but only because I was putting in an order for something else and I have to say it's made quite well for the UK price we paid. The cut is flattering and it looks to be on you as well. I am however returning because it's not really me. And the reason why most pieces are hanging around is probably because everyone is going "Alta who?".

    And I was about to go "what is beneath the lovely autumn leaves?" and then you answered it. I shall warn my boys tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update** the sweatshirt has gone back. I loved the cut and fit more than colour x

      Delete
  4. That is really interesting about he QC - I would hope that NAP would trim the threads before packing in that beautiful box! So much of it really is in the presentation - I was completely put off just by buying 'designer' gear next to the toilet paper and then throwing it in a shopping trolley with my cleaning products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was so surprised when they arrived after seeing your photos x

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sweatshirt, that would have been the only thing I would have ordered as it all looks a bit dressy for me! Looking good in your Autumnal outfit, which is so much more you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like the first top, which would obviously be perfect for my shape but I could take or leave the other shirts but agree the sweatshirt looks fab on you so glad you are keeping it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up sending it back Sharron (see above) x

      Delete
  8. The sweater is fun, i love orchids. a shame about the other stuff. Lovely outfit today, where did you get your brogues? X

    ReplyDelete
  9. The black sweater was my fave all along, so I'm glad it worked it, but I agree with you about the others - your own outfit on the other hand is absolutely stunning and I really want your Longchamp bag, I have to get one!
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  10. How disappointing! I do like the black sweatshirt on you but what a SGS,e about the others. I always try to think whether I really love/need something (when I have my sensible head on anyway). Lynne x

    ReplyDelete