$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

10.02.2014

A Leopard Print Skirt And Daring To Spar With Victoria Beckham

Golly, this blog is nearly 12 months old. How has that happened? When I wrote my first post on 12th October 2013,  I had little or no expectations. It was a bit of fun really. I could never have imagined the hundreds of thousands of page views I've had, the hilarious banter on social media, the kind comments and emails I've received, new friends that I've made online and met in real life (gosh that sounds dodgy doesn't it) and the opportunity to work with some fabulous brands, Gray & Osbourn being one of them. I still adore my Gerry Weber biker jacket here and still available here but check out this little beauty that's new in here which is quite delicious.

I am such a lucky girl and every day I think wow! Particularly when Gray & Osbourn sent this leopard print skirt to review.

Helene Berman Leopard Print Pencil Skirt


How utterly exciting! I planned to wear it with a high neck (nay polo neck) jumper, black stilettos and black clutch.

And then this happened.


Oh just great! How can I top that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Victoria Beckham. I think a lot of her pieces can be found on the High Street before she even shows a collection. But I do love this look and I was suitably impressed....and then I found out it isn't actually even in her collection. It's a £4238 Luisa Via Roma.

Anyway, after having a near breakdown of how I could remotely pull the look off after seeing Vicky, I decided to 'park' my Audrey Heburn-esque pencil skirt/polo neck look and style it differently.




I've teamed it with a positively ancient Karen Millen tan leather jacket and the M&S cage shoes from earlier in the year. With hindsight I think a plain pair of black stilettos would have been better. Ah well, you live and learn.

The skirt is certainly supportive but there's some stretch so it's very comfy. This is the best sort of pencil skirt in my opinion - no waistband so no extra bulk around that area. A big tick! I'd say it is generous in size so go down if you are in between. This is a size 10 and fits perfectly.

A side view to show you how it sucks everything in.


And back





Softs, lights and Warms might want to keep the top half lighter as I've done here. If I'm wearing black near my face, I have to put my hair up and adjust my make-up otherwise it's draining on me. Deeps, Clears and Cools can achieve the Victoria Beckham look very easily though. 

And the pencil skirt style? Rectangles (me) i.e. ladies who go straight up and down and don't have a waist will love this. Curvy ladies will be surprised how well the skirt fits. It's all down to the designers losing the waist band which means you can sit the skirt where it's comfortable. No more bagging waist bands! Normally, I would suggest pear shapes use pattern on the top half to balance out the hip area. If you are pear shape and fancy this skirt, try it with a wide neck top or something with details on the shoulders. That should do the balancing out trick for you.



I'm now on the hunt for a shorter black polo neck as mine are too long. I want one that sits on the waist (we're not talking cropped top territory mind). Do feel free to let me know if you have come across one. I really can't go through the trauma that I had with the black trouser search. Basically, I'm lazy! I'd like to try it with the polo neck and long black flat boots for a more dressed down look.

It's a fab little skirt, thanks Gray & Osbourn, you're the best. I'm off to a charity luncheon today and out with friends later so I'd better get cracking as at the moment I'm sat in my pjs and ski jacket having done an early dog walk (you don't need to see that).


Donna x


34 comments on "A Leopard Print Skirt And Daring To Spar With Victoria Beckham"
  1. You look completely and utterly fabulous in this skirt Donna, what an amazing figure you have! The skirt is styled perfectly, love it with the tan jacket, off to take a look on the G&O website xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous skirt Donna,I just love it!
    Jane xx
    www.mymidlifefashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that's a fab skirt. I would also have immediately thought black polo like VB. But you did a fab job with the tan jacket. Love the idea of it dressed down with flat long boots. Would like to see that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the hunt for a new polo neck and I'll try it out for you x

      Delete
  4. Fabulous skirt! I loved VB in that outfit the other day but like you, was surprised to read it wasn't one of her own! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes me too Sarah. Seemed somewhat bizarre. Thank you x

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous skirt Donna and you so could of topped VB, you both look amazing and I think your styling is a brave choice, I would of gone for more dramatic black but I like it with the tan xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're just too kind, I think not. I know my place in life lol x

      Delete
  6. Check you out! I think you ROCK in this skirt far more than VB in hers - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I really love this on you, this skirt is right up my street. The colour is fab and I'm a light lady and I'm always glad for your colour tips. I'm not a fan of VB either ever since she completely upstaged me and gave birth to Brooklyn 2 days before my daughter was born! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue and I'd be cross with her too!!! x

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous skirt Donna - you look great! I want one! This colour thing still fascinates me - think I'm a deep - I do wear a lot of black so hope that's ok! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. It fascinates me too, I'm still bowled over when I see the difference a shade of colour can make x

      Delete
  9. Superb skirt Donna! You are rockin' the VB look! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy almost anniversary! I realised that my two year anniversary was when we were in France. Been, gone, didnt notice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably forget it on the day just like you x

      Delete
  11. Fabulous skirt, and fabulous garden! I don't know which one I'm more envious of!

    Becky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky, I'll mention it to the gardener lol x

      Delete
  12. Wow, you look one hot mamma! So funny did VB on my blog too! Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I saw that Helen, it's a fab skirt isn't it x

      Delete
  13. OMG - you totally rock this! I would never have looked at it twice before seeing it on you yet now, I'm sat here thinking of excuses to buy it! I love how Gray & Osbourn are using us bloggers to style their items...brings them to life...Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Avril, G&O have some fabulous buyers don't they. Totally on the button x

      Delete
  14. Love this skirt. Thanks so much for telling is how to style it for both colouring and body shape. I often get lost translating what I see on a blog or magazine into real life, so as a curvy pear shape now I know (wide neck or shoulder detail) who knew it was that simple. Congratulations on 1 year of your blog. I am lucky I pretty much found you as you started out and have really enjoyed reading your posts. Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lucy. I'm touched you've been with me from the start. I'm going to try and work in much more style and colour advice into my posts xx

      Delete
  15. You look amazing, totally love this look on you, you really suit this style of skirt and I love leopard print. I don't usually like it as full on as this, but you look so fab and great styling. Congrats on your upcoming blog anniversary!
    A xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I do love a pencil skirt (actually it's the only skirt I wear) x

      Delete
  16. Looks fab Donna...would love it also with long black boots and polo neck for winter:) Enjoy your weekend!
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fab skirt and beautifully styled, Donna. Think I prefer your look actually! Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look amazing & that is one great skirt Donna! I hate it when that happens & seriously need to just blog when the idea hits me too! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is one statement of a skirt. I love it and it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete