A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

10.10.2014

Taking A Plain Old Outfit To The Next Level (Part 2)

You may recall a post I did back in August (here) about smarting up a boring outfit. Well, I've been asked to do it again so here goes.

This has to be the most boring outfit by any stretch of the imagination. Nude jeans by M&S Limited Collection and a thin knit Mango sweater (although it does have little sparkly dots on it!!).



To me this outfit is 'meh' and I really wouldn't feel myself if I left the house like this. I treat these pieces as my foundation garments, something to keep me warm and decent! To which I added;

- a Bill Skinner bee necklace (I'm still favouring small pieces)
- 2 bangles (one precious, one Primark I think)
- heeled boots from Next (a small heel really does wonders for the posture)
- a vintage gilet
- a pair of Rayban Aviators
- and a really funky bag from H&M

I've kept all the tones very neutral which is great for Soft and Light palettes. Ladies with a stronger look might need to put some oomph somewhere - maybe a slate grey or black gilet???


I think it's a vast improvement, what do you think? 

You can shop my style here.







Footnote:

Don't be afraid to mix different tones.
If you've been crooning over the Ash Jalouse ankle boot but don't want to pay the 'Ash' price, try the ones here from Freemans reduced from £90 to £45 and all sizes available.
Have a look at Phase Eight knitwear. I love the flattering cut which doesn't cling to the muffin top. The one above is in the sale.
You must get the H&M bag! It's absolutely gorgeous in black or grey and can bring any outfit bang up to date and it looks much more expensive than twenty quid.

Yeay it's the weekend. Lots of home stuff planned and I'm having an ever-so-slight panic that the new series of Homeland is about to start on Sunday and I'm only half way through series 2. Whatever happens to Damien Lewis? Me thinks I'll be sat in front of the t.v. lots!

Have a good one whatever you're doing.


Donna x






27 comments on "Taking A Plain Old Outfit To The Next Level (Part 2)"
  1. You're so lucky you can wear that colour, it just washes me out completely! You look great x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is, I'm a closet Clear palette, I yearn to wear bright jewel colours lol. We're never satisfied are we x

      Delete
  2. This is just gorgeous on you Donna & I love seeing how you build on the foundations of an outfit! Have a lovely weekend getting square eyes! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Donna. So gorgeous! Those boots are so like the Ash Jalouse. Very tempted! Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a great price aren't they Lynne. Definitely worth a punt x

      Delete
  4. That gilet is gorgeous, and the colours are beautiful. I daren't go for pale colours at the moment, my two small children would see to it that I was filthy within minutes! Maybe in a year or two (or nine or ten :-) ) I am also really tempted by those boots though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids are all grown up now (sad face). The gilet was bought for a tenner at a vintage warehouse, total bargain. I've never shopped vintage before but would do it again x

      Delete
  5. Amazing what a gilet and some key accessories can do for an outfit Donna....they really give it the wow factor! Loving my H&M bag too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. Oooh which colour have you got? x

      Delete
  6. You look lovely Donna, that gilet is fabulous darling x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your gilet Donna....perfect outfit for a sunny autumn day:)
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. More please Donna, I love these posts, and this is an amazing look. I'm also a Homeland fan looking forward to the new series, hurry up and catch up so we can compare notes.
    Sue x
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Failed on the Homeland front. I kept falling asleep! But shock horror, I've just read a spoiler and Brodie dies. Noooooo x

      Delete
  9. Looks great Donna - agree with Susan above - love these posts! It's like playing dress-up with your wardrobe! Love the funky bag! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab outfit transformation & I love the gilet! I'm very excited about Homeland coming back (although it clashes with Downton :( x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Why does that always happen. I'm doing Downton tonight. I'll do Homeland on catch up x

      Delete
  11. If the top was longer it would be better proportioned. Also, the addition of colour would pep it up a bit. You have a lovely figure and great colouring and could totally carry a strong tone of green or blue. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know what, I tried a longer top underneath and it looked odd. I couldn't put my finger on it. But reading your comment has reminded me of a nice charcoal one that I have which is longer and slightly gathered. I'll try that. I do wear brighter colours but sometimes want to channel the tone on tone Armani look lol x

      Delete
    2. You totally carry it off! I'd probably get coffee stains on it in 10 mins and look like I slept rough. Charcoal sounds nice.

      Delete
  12. Love how the gilet elevates this to such an amazing outfit!
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, love the tone on tone and the way you added texture too with the gilet and bag! I keep trying to get into Homelands but need to do a huge catch up to really understand! Helen xx

    ReplyDelete