$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

11.12.2014

Versatile Dresses AKA Getting Your Money's Worth

Continuing on the dress theme from yesterday, I'm always on the hunt for clothes that work hard in my wardrobe. Sometimes I slip up and buy something that needs other purchases, a bag, shoes, jacket but on the whole I really do try hard to create a couple of outfits in my mind from stuff that I already have before going to the cash till.

So here are two dresses that have caught my attention.

The first is from Marks & Spencer, called the Torn Paper Print Tunic Dress and for £39.50 is a bit of a bargain.

Dressed Up


M&S Torn Paper Print Dress - dressed up

Earrings: New Look
Bag: John Lewis
Shoes: Next
Watch: Goldsmiths
Nb. There's a buy one get one free offer on selected jewellery at New Look at the moment here


For me this dress looks far more expensive than it really is and the colours and pattern will distract from any midriff issues. A big tick for Christmas Day then. It's one of those dresses that you could have in your wardrobe (and more importantly wear) year after year after year.



Dressed Down

M&S Torn Paper Print Dress - dressed up

And it works equally well with a more casual boot and biker jacket. Note the point on the boots bring the look bang up to date.  I love mixing black, brown and tan together, something I wouldn't have done a few years ago. If you're anything like me then you'll probably have most of these elements in your wardrobe. I really do need this dress in my life.



The second dress that I'm really liking at the moment is the Wallis Floral Print Shift Dress reduced from £65 to £32.50

Dressed Up

Wallis Floral Print Shift Dress - dressed up

Cuff: Harrods (Sorry! Put it on your Christmas list)
Clutch: John Lewis
Boots: H&M
Necklace: New Look (another buy one get one free offer)


Again, a really comfortable dress (loose waists are always a winner). And yet another dress that looks much more expensive than the sale price of £32.50. In fact both dresses are very much DVF inspired if you ask me. Of course this is an all year round dress, swap the boots for a pair of heeled sandals and that's one evening sorted for your holiday.


Dressed Down

Wallis Floral Print Shirt Dress - dressed down

Scarf: Marks & Spencer
Denim Jacket: Top Shop
Boots: Cloggs
Bag: Debenhams (same bag styled with M&S dress - recycling!!)

So, it's going to be all about layering in winter, I'm not going to fool anyone - this is a flimsy dress. Thermals, thick tights or leggings, scarf...the lot. You could swap the denim jacket for a navy over sized reefer coat (or both) or even wear a fur gilet over the top of the jacket. Another dress I need in my life!

The shops are awash with Christmas dresses. I very rarely partake in the sparkle numbers, preferring to find something that can be worn a little more often. I really do wish that I could write a blog post without falling in love with EVERYTHING. I need both of these dresses but sadly I've spent more than I should this month already (it doesn't help spending a fortune on an anorak - I'll save that for another day).

Do you dress up and dress down your outfits to make them more versatile. Any tips for me? As always, I love hearing from you.


Donna x



12 comments on "Versatile Dresses AKA Getting Your Money's Worth"
  1. I like getting pieces that make lots of different outfits and dresses are fab for this purpose! Love the Wallis floral one you picked Donna:)
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I love all the pieces you've chosen! I especially love the M&S dress & Next peep toes, gorgeous :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, Donna,, and I love all of the outfits too. Fab looks! Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the floral dress with the blue boots, I must try the boots/dress thing soon!

    Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some fab styling ideas for dresses Donna! I am so rubbish with dresses in Autumn/Winter.....but the answer is definitely to layer them up! Fab post xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I saw that bottom dress on another post and commented lol Both great dresses though Donna which dress up and down beautifully x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that floral shirt dress - wow wow wow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great outfits Donna - I usually shy from dresses as I don't think I'll get my wear but I definitely like the layering idea - essential for cold weather and nesh dispositions! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the M&S dress great colour combo, and love the way you have styled it too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I NEED the second dress - it is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  11. That wallis dress is gorgeous, perfect for dressing up and down. I love versatile pieces like that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning dresses, I really like the M&S one you have some gorgeous ideas there and it looks so much more expensive. Love the cuff...on my Christmas list for sure! X

    ReplyDelete