A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

1.03.2015

Set In Stone And All That




Well, for the first post of 2015, I thought I'd write down my shopping rules for the next 12 months. That way, I may be more accountable for my actions and make me think twice before rash purchases (yeah right). Oh but we can try.

So here goes.

Rule 1: Basics

I'm sticking to basics this year. I'm not really a pattern person if truth be known and yet prints seem to have crept in to my wardrobe. They're not so versatile and are more difficult to put together. So it's basic tops, jeans, jackets for me. Keeping it really simple.


Rule 2: Neutral Colours

This comes a little more naturally to me (as it ought being a colour trained consultant). I'm automatically drawn to navy, grey, nude, soft white and lately I'm rediscovering black which actually isn't in my colour palette. A tad boring but it works for me. This is what the French do sooooooo well. Sticking to a basic palette of neutral colours with a splash of whatever's in fashion at the time. Tres chic.


Rule 3: Better Quality

I'm not talking mega bucks here. I'd love to throw three thousand pounds at a silk skirt from NAP but that's not likely to happen (and if it does, shoot me before I blow the whole of the lottery win). See, I'm faced with a dilemma here. The only jeans that I can find that fit well are from M&S. They're great for a month or so and then inevitably the colour starts to fade (and not in a good denim fade either). Great jeans should last for years and get better with wear. That can't be said about cheaper brands. So I shall be on a mission.


Rule 4: Don't Buy It If I Have to Build An Outfit Around It

What I mean is that every purchase should fit effortlessly into my existing wardrobe. I'm a shocker for buying something and then realising I don't have the right shoes or jacket.


Rule 5: Perfect Fit Every Time

A 90% ok fit won't do this year. It's got to be spot on or it won't make the cut. You know, the jacket that doesn't quite fit under the arms or the top that isn't quite long enough and you spend all day tucking it in. If it doesn't fit as if it was made for me, I won't buy it.


Rule 6: Three Wardrobe Declutters A Year

Not too drastic, I probably do this already anyway. BUT....a new sub-rule which I'm pretty nervous about is, I'm going to look at every item and ask the question, would I buy it today? If I wouldn't then out it goes. Eeeek that's scary - I mean what happens if it comes back in to fashion, I'll be mortified.


Rule 7: Be Comfortable In My Style

Not as in elastic waist bands and crocs more of rediscovering who I am and feeling confident and comfortable in what I wear. I think I've lost my way somewhat over the last few months and I need to take stock. Lord only knows where this will lead.


Rule 8: Three No Shopping Months

I'd like to say consecutive months but that won't happen. There's more chance of seeing Elvis at a Primark checkout. I'm starting with January and if it goes well, I may extend it to February. The final month will probably be in the summer. Please feel free to remind me if I forget!!

Just a tiny amendment to this rule. I appear to have placed a large order with Atterley Road (brilliant sales, can't be missed). This was done in December but I'm yet to receive the parcel and, reviewing my order today, there are lots of basic pieces (Rule number 1 tick). Grovel over.


And that's it really. Easy when you put it like that.

Are you doing anything as silly as this? Do you put your own rules in place? There are items of clothing I really wish I hadn't bought last year....I'm determined not to make the same mistakes in 2015.

Let the challenge commence (this along with no carbs and no alcohol this month make January very appealing - not).


Donna x
37 comments on "Set In Stone And All That"
  1. Good rules Donna, I'm hoping to adopt something similar myself and build a forever wardrobe so I can spend all my money on Roberto Cavalli baby clothes for my granddaughter lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And why do I think you're actually being serious. Hee hee best dressed baby in the South East x

      Delete
  2. Fab rules Donna! I'm determined to find myself & my signature style this year as I feel lost atm & have no idea what direction I'm going in! I have a plan (I think) & need to put it into action! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great rules Donna - I may just cut and paste! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously doesn't apply to your make up purchases!! x

      Delete
  4. I agree Donna keep patterns to a minimum suits me better in my 40's. And definitely will be having carbs and alcohol too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great rules! You say there are things you regret buying -'it would be really helpful if maybe you went through some things (good and bad), and explain why they did/didn't work out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fab idea. Thanks. I'll make that my next post x

      Delete
    2. Hope you liked the post I did on my fails - I've dedicated it to you....whoever you are. Thanks for the inspiration x

      Delete
  6. Fab rules....I am going to take note for myself too! I recently had a wardrobe clear out but know there are still some items in there that I have worn only once in the last two years....maybe they should be popped into the charity bag? X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love rules but I love breaking them more!
    I am DETERMINED to cut out the crap spending on crap clothes. I have so much to save for this year and I'm going to do it by making MY wardrobe work for me!
    I'm joining you on the no alcohol thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably have enough clothes not to worry about buying again for years Fiona x

      Delete
  8. Great rules! I'm embarking on my 100 day ban now. Determined to make my existing wardrobe work harder and not keep things for best.

    The other rule I'm definitely putting in place for 2015 is to always confirm returns policy before buying... have been stung twice with that recently, never again!
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh good luck, 100 days will be a fantastic achievement x

      Delete
  9. Excellent rules. Wonder how long it will be before we all break them?!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. V sensible rules. I am attempting to get as much as I can out of my wardrobe over the next four weeks by not repeating any of my outfits. I am convinced I have more than enough clothes to do this, but I may be going out in my pyjamas by week four...

    Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great rules, Donna. I should really be more strict with myself like this. I don't think you've lost your way at all by the way, you always look amazing! Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I said to my hubby that from now on, I'm going for quality over quantity as I've wasted so much money buying cheap, crappy clothes! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your rules Donna, a woman after my own heart, basics and classic colours always work for me too. And when I do wander (usually because I have seen someone else wearing something) it nearly always stays in the wardrobe, as I dont have anything to go with it, or basically its so not me! So yes some sales shopping done, but so far sensible buys! And then a big wardrobe de clutter too! Lets see how good we can be? Hmmn!! Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's Day 8 and I haven't caved yet. Hope you're doing ok too x

      Delete
  14. I'm useless Donna - I haven't made any rules as such! I would like some more basics though and to de-clutter more - three times a year sounds frightening though - I've probably done it three times in the last decade! I have things in there from before I had the kids - please don't shout! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too funny. I really do declutter frequently because I love to look in my wardrobe and see it all colour co-ordinated. Mind you there's a pile of ebaying in the spare room x

      Delete
  15. Great rules Donna! I did vow last year to try and invest in some quality pieces which I sort of adhered too! I did have a few wobbles along the way and picked up some bargain finds! On the whole I was pleased though as I parted with a good lot of tat, something I always found hard to do before.This really helped me to see the better items I owned and could build a capsule wardrobe around! Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year:)
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your wardrobe Anne, I bet you can dive in there every morning and come out looking immaculate x

      Delete
  16. Rule Four gets me every time! I buy something and then torture myself trying to match it.
    My friend also says we go for colour when FIT is most important, totally agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rule 4 is something I try to adhere to. When considering a purchase I mentally make outfits with it and if I come up lacking back it goes to the rail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know, I can almost hear myself saying well, these trousers would look really great with a new jacket and a new pair of heels...cue two more purchases x

      Delete
  18. Hi Donna - I have to say you have the most practical approach to 3 non-shopping months by making them non-consecutive! What a super idea. I've signed up for the whole 3 month stint and am trying to have an alcohol free January. I was really relieved to go back to low carbs though, as I've been eating that way for a year now and find it's been so much better for me. I was cursing wheat and sugar over Christmas!! Good luck with all your wardrobe aspirations, some very sensible ideas. P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say is that you're a very brave lady - that's a long time. I'd be tearing my hair out or hibernating! Thanks and good luck with your challenge too x

      Delete
  19. Love your rules! I don't think I'd manage a complete spending ban but my wardrobe does need to be more cohesive. I'm 40 this year and ready for a style redefine, I'll definitely be keeping your rules in mind as I update my look x

    ReplyDelete