$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

1.21.2015

Wardrobe Refresh

It's been a moan free zone here in my house. I'm fed up of going on and on about the weather so that topic has been banned for the last two days. 

Instead, I'm looking forward. Forward to spring when I can put hats, scarves and gloves away for a few months. I've been thinking about easy ways to refresh our wardrobes with a few easy buys. 

So here goes...

1. The Biker Jacket

Here's Rosie Huntington-Whiteley rocking hers. 


This jacket is going nowhere, it's become a wardrobe staple earning it's place along the side of skinny jeans and ankle boots. And it doesn't matter whether it's leather or pleather...either does the job.

Here's me wearing mine this week. Obviously not looking anywhere near as fabulous as Rosie.





Probably the most useful jacket you can have in your wardrobe. Wear now with a polo neck and boots, in the spring with a shirt and trainers, in the summer over a maxi for a chilly evening out. I've even been known to wear mine with a dressy dress. 




Get yours here...




2. Little Navy Dress

Ok, it's no secret, I love navy. It's my black! Black can be so predictable and I think navy looks really fresh and contemporary. So my number 2 wardrobe refresh is a navy dress. Christine Bleakley loves her navy too and looks stunning in this one.



And a favourite of mine which is a light navy.





We've had a love-in with this colour for a few seasons and I hate to use the phrase but it is a classic so won't date. You'll reach for it time and time again. Oh and did I mention, everyone gets navy in their colour palette. So, ditch the black and refresh with this.....


Glam it up with heels and a clutch for weddings and christenings (actually, changing the accessories will give you lots of different options). Dress down with the biker jacket for a more casual evening out. pop a jumper over and you've got a lace skirt.


3. A Basic White Jumper

There's something really fresh about a gorgeous white jumper isn't there. Take Alexa Chung for example...



Hers is more of a winter white teamed with a black leather skirt and that brilliant bag. I'm thinking more towards summer so a pure or soft white version (this colour is going to be HUGE this year, there's no getting away from it). 

Worn with a simple pair of skinnies and leopard print skaters, it's an outfit that needs minimal effort. Recently, I've been wearing mine layered with a denim shirt. 




I'm thinking I'd quite like one that's slightly more fitted. Such as....




 I like the idea of rolling up the sleeves and popping a navy and white breton underneath. Oh and don't forget the shorts, it would look great with a pair of cut offs at the end of a summer day when it gets a little brrrrrrrr. 


4. A Pair Of Metallic Shoes 

It would seem that all over metallics featured heavily in some of the catwalk shows for Spring/Summer 2015. Me, I prefer to keep this trend firmly on the feet. 

Georgia May Jagger chose a silver pair a couple of months ago 



I've got a Kurt Geiger pair in bronze but they have a built in sole so I doubt they'll be coming out to play this year - they just look really dated. Now if I were to choose a new pair, they would look something like this...


And yet more versatility. I can see black skinnies, tuxedo jacket and t-shirt for a casual night out with the girls or black pleather leggings and a white shirt for a slightly smarter look. Mmmm very tempted. 


5. A Tan Bag

Regardless of whether tan bags are current (they are by the way), every girl should have one (or two). Christina Hendricks looks super chic carrying hers. Love, love, love this outfit.


My poor old Jimmy Choo tote has seen better days, but it owes me nothing. 




I should really be replacing it with something like this...


We're still loving our structured bags and the High Street is awash with them. Don't get me wrong, I love my JC but it's an absolute pain. It doesn't stand up and the contents get tossed around inside. I've lost many a Tunnocks chocolate tea cake in there. Structure is the way to go. If you're striving for the city chic look, add a tan bag to a pair of jeans and navy blazer and you'll look as if you've stepped right out of a St Tropez postcard. Tan is definitely a neutral too so goes with just about every colour you can think of.

So there's my top 5 wardrobe refreshes, easy pieces to update and enjoy. Oh did I forget to mention where you can buy them from? Wallis. Yes really. Go forth and shop.

Donna x





9 comments on "Wardrobe Refresh"
  1. Great!! I can check some of these transitional items off!! Bagged a leather biker in the sales! Tick! Managed to snag a tan Jigsaw messenger bag on eBay for a song! Tick (shoosh....forgot to include that in my latest post!). Have some M&S metallic courts! Tick! Still looking for the perfect cream sweater! Not likely to need a navy dress anytime soon so can I swap that idea for something else essential?! Great Spring inspo Donna!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous inspiration Donna! Ive still got my leather biker fund but haven't purchased yet! You've sewn the seed again! I have a stunning tan leather tote that I never use & really should! Doesn't Alexa look amazing?!I love that outfit! You look knock out in that Navy dress! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't realised how much I wore mine until I looked back at my photos. You won't regret it x

      Delete
  3. Biker jacket Tick! Tan bag Tick! Dress - snort!!! But maybe this year, who knows?! And damn it, now I really want those caged sandals ... and I'm still searching for the perfect white jumper. So 2/5 .. that's 40%, Phew! Just passed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab lost, Donna. Love this! Wallis have some amazing pieces at the moment. I'm craving warmer weather to wear some different clothes now. I've had it with jeans and jumpers :-( Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a little black biker and a tan handbag so that's not too bad for starters! I must admit I have a soft spot for a bit of navy - love the lace shift dress and you look stunning in yours - your figure looks amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. RHW is just amazing
    You look so bloody stunning in that navy dress

    ReplyDelete