$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

2.12.2015

Flared Jeans & Boho Jackets

I had a go at the 70s trend today using everything that I already had in my wardrobe...



I think it works - does it? Jeans were originally from Next (years and years ago and can't quite believe they survived the culls). Oh boy are they comfy. I'm on the hunt for a darker wash and slightly more flared. The Marks & Spencer ones are equally as comfy but whoops, a tad long, even with heels.

M&S True 70s Kick Flare Denim Jeans £35



I'm normally a long in M&S. Something's gone wrong somewhere. I've put it down to a dud pair so I'm going back this weekend for another look. Can't recommend them enough other than that little mishap. These were the next size up (although to be honest, there was very little in them) and I don't think the length is quite so bad.




Again, denim shirt is really old. I actually quite like the lighter double denim effect. This one from H&M has been on my radar for a while, it would probably work really well with the M&S jeans.


H&M Denim Blue Shirt £19.99



And my jacket was from Joe Browns last year although it's available again from...

Fashion World Joe Browns Quirky Quilted Jacket £55

I'm loath to put this picture up as it's so much nicer in real life



It's a wonderfully cut jacket (as Joe Brown's pieces always are) and although only slightly quilted, it's actually quite warm.

I also saw a couple of similar styles in M&S yesterday and wouldn't say no to either!

Indigo Collection Pure Cotton Floral Bomber £59



And

Indigo Collection Pure Cotton Quilted Bolero Jacket £55



Had I seen this one online, I wouldn't have given it a second glance. What a bizarre way to show a jacket, it looks as if it has a weird panel running down the front! We're talking bed jacket-esque here. There is no panel - it's the inside lining!




The tan leather bag is soooooo old but just keeps on getting better and better with age. I gave it to the daughter a couple of years a go but have stolen it back...just for this season. She won't mind, there's a brand new tan bag waiting for her in her bedroom for when she gets back home from Uni.

Loving this one from ASOS which is currently reduced - shame it's not leather.

ASOS Slouch Hobo Bag now £24.50



And this one which is also reduced AND leather. A pretty perfect summer bag given the 70s vibes this year.

Oasis Leather Dixie Drawstring Duffle Bag £31.50



I decided to go with the Ash Jalouse in Midnight on my feet. Originally I tried black pointed ankle boots but they looked really odd. Probably because I wore bootleg jeans and points in the 90s - I don't think we'll be going there for a while yet. Well I certainly won't be.

Ash Jalouse Ankle Boot Midnight Reverse Broken £155



Anyway, I felt like Love Story's Ali MacGraw swishing around in the flares all day until I googled her image tonight and actually her style was very different probably due to the fact that most of the film was shot in winter so it was knitted berries and long belted coats all round. So, I decided I was a Charlie's Angel instead. Going to have to wear them again tomorrow now aren't I.

Right, so I need to know if there are any fantastic mid to dark wash flared jeans out there. I gather River Island Alice Kick Flares are contenders, MIH Marrakesh also look fab but a tad pricey. I'm not loving the bright yellow contrast stitching on the Zara Skinny Flare nor do Zara jeans like me. Next Lift, Slim And Shape need to be examined. Does anyone have any more suggestions for a dark wash, high waisted kick flare preferably that shave 4 inches off the waist (ok maybe not that)?

Back soon with my tales of woe trying to pack for a mini break in a carry-on (read tiny) suitcase. The woes haven't happened yet, but they will, believe you me.


Donna x
16 comments on "Flared Jeans & Boho Jackets"
  1. Very Charlie's Angel....love it! I think the flares you have look amazing on you, brilliant colour! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great in flares Donna - it definitely works! I love the double denim thing with flares, and I am itching to invest in a great boho jacket but I'm biding my time as I know if I go too early I'll see The One just after I've committed to another. Zara do have some beauties already though, aaargh!!

    Becky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Becky, I'm sure there'll be Boho jackets everywhere soon. I saw a printed kimono last night that I thought looked a little Bohoish.....am wondering if this will work with flares in the summer. Proper 70s and all that x

      Delete
  3. Your jeans fit you to perfection - these are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superbly comfy, haven't quite mastered how to walk around the house in them when the boots come off though! x

      Delete
  4. I think your existing jeans are the perfect summer colour! I've tried dark ones and lighter ones and I've settled on something a similar colour to what you have now. I'm thinking ahead to summer when lighter blues come in to play and it all starts to fall in place. The dark ones will seem too heavy by then.

    I'm still wondering whether I will get out my little quilted JWills jacket this year. It didn't come out much last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sue, particularly as most of my summer wardrobe is pale and light. I'd quite like some darker ones to wear now as well. I don't remember the JW jacket - get it out soon xx

      Delete
  5. That outfit is perfect, I love it! I've never tried Joe Browns, I might have to investigate :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit quirky Sarah but there are some really nice pieces x

      Delete
  6. I love the colour too & think they look amazing on you! You are looking so trim atm Donna! That jacket is a winner isn't it & I'd forgotten how warm it is! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea, it's a disguise, I'm still the same underneath x

      Delete
  7. Still loving that jacket!! And how good do those flares look on you?? Really fab! Sitting here cursing my inability to hoard - flares are well gone from my wardrobe. Hey ho! Another reason to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But that's the thing, I don't hoard anything Helen. God only knows how these survived for so long x

      Delete
  8. Love the outfit Donna! I'm a proper hoarder so still have my flares in the bottom of the wardrobe - in fact everything but the kitchen sink is in my wardrobe - would drive you round the bend! Going to resurrect them once the weather improves xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you're wearing your flares, Donna, I really need to get mine out! I've just ordered the M&S flares so I'll let you know how I get on! Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete