A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

3.01.2015

ACHIEVING THAT POLISHED LOOK PART 1

I had a lovely email from a lady last seek asking for advice as she didn't know where to start when putting an outfit together. Her aim, after losing weight is to look 'more polished' having lived in baggy jumpers and jeans for years and years. Well Jules (you know who you are) this one's for you.

For many of us, our day to day dress is jeans or trousers and a top. Good, comfortable staples and there's nowt wrong with that as a Yorkshireman would say. But for me, these are my foundations. Foundations to build an outfit around. I need that extra something otherwise I feel irritable all day Yes really. It's sad isn't it?

That extra something could be anything or a combination of things from the following list:

- jacket
- scarf
- statement jewellery
- killer shoes (but not necessarily killer heels)

If you've followed my blog for a while, you'll probably remember these posts here and here. And, I used the same jacket from the first blog post and top from the second post the other day in a similar way.


I am a jacket fan and make no secret of this. In fact, I own more jackets than jumpers - a whole double wardrobe full! Some are years old so I make no apology for this indulgence.

I have scarves too. Not hundreds and hundreds but a respectable 20+. Many picked up in the sales and High Street stores such as Zara.

My drawer of necklaces (all stored in individual freezer bags) has depleted somewhat as I'm gradually wearing less of these.

And of course I have shoes and boots by the dozen dozens ranging from designer to humble Primark. Suffice to say, I have shoes for every occasion I can think of. Deep sea diving. I don't have flippers.

All of these items are 'my little bit extra' that take an outfit to the next level.

So, I thought it might be useful for us to look at these individually over the next few blog posts and maybe we could share tips. I love tips. I'm that sad person that sits in the dentist waiting room searching for all the top tips sections in Woman's Own and Reveal. Such as, freezing left over wine in ice cube trays for use in casseroles. Except there's never any left overs of the wine variety in this house so that doesn't work.

Come back next time when we'll tackle jackets.

Hope everyone's had a fantastic weekend. I'll tell you about mine next time. Right now, I'm off to check on the roast and peel some spuds.



14 comments on "ACHIEVING THAT POLISHED LOOK PART 1"
  1. Ha, exactly, what's leftover wine?! I love this idea as I really need to start using everything in my wardrobe & changing it up a bit. I really underuse my jewellery but love my scarves :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly Sarah, every last dribble is consumed in this house. I've kind of gone off 'big' jewellery recently. Don't get me wrong, I'll wear what I've got but at the moment I have no plans to purchase anymore x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a long needed wardrobe cleanse last week and it really helped to see what I have and to get rid of things I haven't worn in ages. I took pictures of the outfits and stuck them inside my wardrobe. It has really helped to use my clothes and identify what pieces are missing to build more outfits.
    Great blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea Ann Marie. It really does focus the mind doesn't it. And thanks for your comments about the blog - glad you like it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip on keeping necklaces in freezer bags, I will try that! Love the blog post it's always good to get back to basics x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and yes I agree, for all the fashion trends in the world, it's good to get back to basics x

      Delete
  6. It's good to get tips on finishing off an outfit, just what I need right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post - I'm the same. I own way more jackets than tops. And also, I've really gone off the idea of big jewellery. No doubt in another few years, we'll have gone full circle and be back wearing them again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I shall be all eyes and ears Donna as I love tips too! Just about to the freezer bags out.....thanking you kindly for that one! :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Little jackets is one thing I need more of, you're right that they can really finish off an outfit and give it the oomph. Look forward to seeing more of your tips x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another one getting the freezer bags out here! What a great tip! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. See I'm so lazy Donna - I'll get the jumper and jeans on and then stick to the warmest and most practical boots - usually my Fly London black leather. I'll add a scarf for warmth but it's jackets and jewellery I'm lazy with! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just want to say I love..love..love your blog! It's so refreshing to find a blog that isn't all designer and top end expensive items that are not within reach of most people..I love the fact you include Primark..Tesco..H&M and many more high st stores...I'm 43 and was struggling to know what is "acceptable" to wear "at my age" so thank you for all your hints&tips..loving it!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much for your lovely, lovely comments. I think we all go through a stage of losing our way don't we. As the big 5-0 looms closer every day I keep thinking I should move into elasticated waist trousers and then I think nah.......

      Delete