A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

3.27.2015

It's The Start Of A Holiday Wish List

Ooooh I'm off on my holidays again next week. Well, it's another one of those mini-break thingamajigs. It should have been a full week but given football fixtures (urgh it rules my life), it's been condensed into 5 nights which in the hubby's rule book means no check-in luggage. That means 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (including wheels)!

It's a little late to worry about this holiday but we have our main summer one planned for the end of June and I really do need to address some gaping holes in my wardrobe. So ta-da-da-da, I have started my wish list.

1. The slightly dressier dress that's not too dressy

First and foremost, dresses. I bought a few casual dresses last year; easy wear, easy packing items but our second week really required a slightly more formal attire. Think long trousers and shirts for men - of course that went down fantastically well with the husband and son - not! Well, as much as they moaned, we're doing it again this year so put up and shut up I say.

I want loose fitting, cotton dresses that are comfy in the heat but still look stylish. So wish list number 1 item is this from Esprit

Esprit Casual/sundress £45




I reckon this is one of those clever purchases that I could easily dress up in the evening with black heeled sandals and leopard print clutch. But equally it will look great with Birks (which I don't wear - see below) or flat sandals (which I do wear) and an oversized casual bag. We're going to Miami for a few days as part of our holidays, this will be perfect. It's 100% cotton and can be washed at 30 degrees. Yeay!

And it also comes in Blue

Love the idea of rolling up the sleeves for a more laid back look.


Consider both ordered! There's definitely room in my summer wardrobe for two!


2. A shiny new beach bag to replace my ratty old one (and to save my Longchamp from getting totally wrecked)

They don't last forever do they! I had a good clear  out (read binned the lot of them) of all my beach bags when we were over in Spain last time. Happy to use my Longchamp shopper on a grown up holiday with the husband but I refuse to use it when kids are involved. Ok they might be 19 and nearly 14 but still manage to leak the suncream and smear ice lolly over everything.

I spotted these on Amazon the other day whilst searching for CX-10 Quadrocopters (don't ask).

Amazon Bright Striped Beach Bag £7.95



I'm rather fancying the pink one but apparently you don't get to choose the colour! The price seems too good to be true but I'll put in an order when I get back from Spain.

And then you know how Amazon 'recommends' things after you've searched for something, these popped up.

Amazon Polka Dot Beach Bag/Shopper £9.99



So sweet. Perfect for folding up inside the 55cm x 40cm x 20cm carry on. The front pocket and inside drawstring thingy also appeals to my OCD.


3. Beach cover ups that actually cover up (Various)

Ok, I've finally realised that actually I can't do cheap beachwear anymore. The daughter managed to persuade me to pop into Primark earlier today as she needs wants new bikinis. I took several cover-ups in to the changing rooms to keep her company. They all looked pants. I shall stick to what I know best and go with good old Seafolly.

Seafolly Splendour Kaftan £39.99


Sticking with the pink theme (if Amazon doesn't send me the pink bag, I might cry). Love this and surprisingly I don't mind the see through front panel. Often the way kaftans are cut make my shoulders look very sloping but a) I think the central panel gives it a bit of structure and b) it will also be slimming (think illusion dress). And what's not to love about the little pom-poms.


4. A practical, comfy sandal that isn't a Birk

Sorry, all you Birkenstock lovers, I just don't like them. My excuse - they don't fit my style personality. I like to see them on other people, I really do but not on me. I've been on the hunt for a lace up sandal for ages now, it's probably going to have to be the Boden Lille Lace-up Point but I'm not quite ready to press the buy button yet. I'm drawn to these from Aldo which are currently residing in my basket.

Aldo Wares Flat Sandals £45


So I shall try both. But why or why are the Aldo ones not leather?

Well, that's as far as I've got at the moment. I have a whole list of a list of what I need to buy but haven't done any research yet. I read something on Facebook the other day that gave stats for the age of a girls first kiss, her age when she's earning the most money etc. One of the stats was when she stopped wearing a bikini. It's 48. I'm saying nothing.

Here's a little teaser shot of a top I bought yesterday. I'll let you know where it's from next time.



For more photos of what I've been wearing, hop over to Instagram here. That's if you're interested, I mean, not that I'm interesting or anything.

That's it from me. Hope you've had a good week. I'm going to toodle pip, empty the washing machine (rock and roll) and pour myself a mahoosive glass of wine. It's been one of those weeks.






30 comments on "It's The Start Of A Holiday Wish List "
  1. Like the stripey bags . Did you notice at the bottom of the amazon listing,' If ordering through Ace Kitchen Essentials please email with colour choice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted, thanks Zoe. That takes out the random purchase risk x

      Delete
  2. The stripe bags are lovely, great find. My beach bag is from matalan last summer (not that I ever go to the beach, I took it to france) and all stripey but not lovely ice cream colours like those! Nice find. Have a fab break x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so I'm loving that dress! Especially in the blue. Can just imagine it with white or tan accessories. Off to have a browse at the website :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And of course layered up,in the winter with thick tights and fur gilet. I've only just realised that they would work equally well in the winter months x

      Delete
  4. I love the blue dress, it would be perfect for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On your instagram you had a lovely bracelet with a clover and a cross. Can you tell me where it's from please? That esprit dress is lovely but I wish it came in brighter colours. Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Thomas Sabo bracelet and the charms which are bought seperately are still available. Thanks to your comments, I've just spent a happy half hour revisiting the site - golly there are some gorgeous new charms available. Here is the link http://www.thomassabo.com/GB/en_GB/women-categories-bracelets/women/categories/bracelets?prefn1=allowedCountries&start=0&forceGrid=true&sz=45&prefv1=GB&viewmode=big_grid

      I think one thing about neutral colours is that you can add bright accessories such as yellow for the summer but the dress would be nice in a vivid colour too x

      Delete
    2. Ha ha! Thanks. Yes, you're right about accessories but I want colour in my clothes, that's why I like the title of your blog!! X

      Delete
    3. Heehee thanks. Wait until you see my mini break colours. Yellow and aqua!! Whoop whoop can't wait to crack out summer xx

      Delete
  6. I love the dresses Donna, especially the black. As you said, great with leopard accessories but would be nice with metallics too especially on holiday. They're a gorgeous "shape" xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Esprit dress is lovely, looks fab with sandals which has inspired me as I have a similar drop waist dress from Hush, that I could do with getting some more mileage out of! Love the Aldo sandals....now they would look great with the aforementioned dresses! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drop waists cover a multitude of sins don't they x

      Delete
  8. I actually like those dresses (says Helen who doesn't really 'do' dresses.) They are the perfect shape for holidays and would look good with boots too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Esprit - I could buy literally everything on their website - such good clothes.
    Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some really lovely stuff isn't there. Thanks I will - it's sunny x

      Delete
  10. Is it sad that I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see which bag Amazon randomly send you? Love the Aldo sandals, they'd be perfect with the black Esprit dress. I've got the Boden drop waist tunic dress from the Autumn, and those Esprit ones look a very similar shape. At that price, I may have to investigate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you might have to hang in there, I'm not ordering the bag until I'm back from my hols x

      Delete
  11. I love that dress, I stocked up on a few that were of similar shape in the sales at the end of Summer last year as I too felt I was missing that sort of dress that's easy to wear. Those bags - wow! Bargain alert! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought my first drop waist dress in years last summer and loved it. Here's hoping these ones will fit as well x

      Delete
  12. I'm another one for the dresses actually - they look loose enough so they don't cling and just long enough but without the frump factor. Blue or black though? Black or blue? Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab dresses Donna & super versatile too! I so need new beach bag for my hols! Have a fab time & I hope you document this packing dilemma on a blog post! I loved the last one! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bloomin heck I haven't but I did the amazing packing trick that the guy did in the Daily Mail this week. Amazing how much you can fit in x

      Delete
  14. Those dresses look AMAZING! Perfect for every day but you could easily throw on heels for something a bit dressier. My favourite sort of summer dress - may have to steal them for a blog. Great find xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving those dresses the perfect dress up, dress down item and I do love the Seafolly cover up, I have one in multi colour for the beach! Off to have a look at the dresses think I may 'need' one! xx

    ReplyDelete