$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

3.20.2015

The Perfect Yorkshire Pudding As Cooked By A Real Yorkshire Lass

After our epic voyage of discovering how to polish up our act parts 1 - 5 (starts here and goes on and on and on), I thought for my own sanity, I need to write about something a little less heavy today, otherwise I may never, ever come back to this blog again.

Anyone who knows me would agree that I love Columbo and chocolate tea-cakes. But probably only my family know how much I love a good old Yorkshire Pudding. I can truthfully say that I've NEVER bought those Aunt Bessie cardboard specimens. I'd rather chew on my son's sweaty shin pads than put one of those in my mouth - really. These are mine on an average day.





And I have the perfect secret recipe that in 20 odd years has never let me down. And lucky for you, I'm feeling benevolent today and feel like sharing it out.

But first, a little history about the humble pudding.

  • The first recorded recipe was in 1737 - it was called a dripping pudding. Probably because it was cooked underneath the beef on a spit allowing the fat to drip into the batter
  • A cheap source of food so the poor would 'fill up' on the pudding before eating the main course
  • Which often meant there was no gravy left as it was devoured with the Yorkshire Pudding so the meat and veg course was served with parsley or white sauce (ha, I bet you didn't know that)
  • Mrs Beeton's recipe was pants probably due to the fact that hers took over an hour and half to cook
  • No one is 100% certain why they're called Yorkshire Puddings although Essex Puddings doesn't really have the same ring to it.
  • It was traditionally cooked in rectangles and carved up 
  • In 1970 a cooking competition in Leeds crowned a chef from Hong Kong the winner of the best Yorkshire
  • Even cooked at Hogwarts as mentioned after a Care of Magical Creatures lesson, Harry & Co were served roast beef and Yorkshire puddings
  • In 2010 the pudding was voted the most successful thing to come out of Yorkshire (they obviously didn't know about the rhubarb triangle)
  • Traditionally served with beef but my family seem to ignore this fact and demand them with pork, lamb, chicken. You name it, they'll eat it....with Yorkshires.
  • The best cooking tins in the 70s were Fray Bentos pie tins (urghh - gagging). That's a made up fact but I remember my nan using one to cook hers and they were delicious
  • My uncle once embarrassed the life out of me at a rather quintessential little pub called The Windmill in Linton, Wetherby insisting on eating Yorkshires for his starter, main course and pudding - 8 in total. And he's Burmese!!!



I promise you that this is a fail-safe recipe for brilliant Yorkshires every single time. 

Ingredients

A bit of plain flour
A few eggs
A bit of milk (I use semi-skimmed)
A pinch of salt
A bit of vegetable oil

Yep no weighing as such!

Method

Find 2 matching mugs. Nb. you may need to dig deep into your cupboard to finding matching ones! Here are mine, see they match! They don't need to match in colour (just in size).


Break a few eggs into one of them. How many? 3 or 4 depends on how greedy you are. As a rule of thumb, 4 eggs will make 12 good side puds.

Here I am demonstrating my cracking skills. 


With me so far? Excellent, that's the difficult bit done. 

In the other 'matching' mug, chuck in enough flour so that the levels of both mugs are the same(ish). 

**Brand alert** (I'm not being paid to advertise this by the way).



We don't want any of that sieving malarky, just throw the flour into a large mixing jug (it makes it easier to pour the batter later). 


Add a pinch or two of salt. Whoops sorry I didn't do a photo of that - hope you can still follow the recipe!!

Ok so let's recap. Now you have a dollop of flour in a jug, 3 or 4 eggs in one mug which means you have another mug without anything in it. Yes? Excellent. Glug in the milk up to the same level as the eggs again. 


Give the eggs a bit of a mix to break up the yoke. 5 or 6 seconds, we're not talking beating or anything. Add to the flour (and salt, don't forget the salt). 


Now give it a thorough mix until combined and most of the lumps have gone. Don't worry about the odd one or two, never did anyone any harm.

The consistency should look like this.



Pop the milk in. Don't be fancy and do it gradually, just throw it in. 


Mix (not beat) it all together. You'll notice that most of the lumps have gone now anyway. There might be a bit of clagging on the spoon - don't panic, that's perfectly normal!

Leave the batter until you're ready for it. **Not in the fridge** This batter doesn't like being chilled. And forger all this 'resting' stuff. I've made it a couple of hours before and 2 minutes before. It doesn't make a jot of difference. You'll be doing 3 turns around a broom and some jiggery pokery next. 

When you're ready to cook them, give that oven a really big blast of hot air. 250 degrees (with or without a fan - I don't care). Farenheit people, you'll just have to look at a conversion chart. Mine tend to go in after I've taken the joint out of the oven to rest. 

Glug a little vegetable oil in the tin (I use a muffin tin - non stick), enough to cover the base. 

**Brand alert** (I'm not being paid to advertise this and I'm sure there are far more healthier alternatives)



Notice my tin, yes it's used regularly, not one to put on show!

Pop the tin in the oven for 5 minutes to heat up the oil. Give the batter a couple of stirs as it settles when it's been stood. Get the tin out of the oven and pour in the batter. 

**Tip**If you want Yorkshires like this then once you've poured batter in, don't then top up with any remaining or you won't get the hole in the middle. 


Put the tin back in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the tops look nice and brown (see above). The base should be soft and squidgy though. Don't worry about opening the oven door - it's totally fine. Just another old wive's tale.  

And that's it. Enjoy. 



Also delicious if you add sage and onion to the batter before cooking (you can even use the stuffing mix but go light as the puddings won't rise so well). And of course perfect for Toad in the Hole. 

Oh and they need wine, yes lots of wine. Red or white, it doesn't matter. But it must be consumed during prep, cooking and eating stages - otherwise the puddings don't rise!!!

Anyway, I'm on strike this weekend so there's none for us on Sunday. 


12 comments on "The Perfect Yorkshire Pudding As Cooked By A Real Yorkshire Lass"
  1. Oooh the big yorkshire pud debate. We use full fat milk and lard!
    Yours do look nice I have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I am sat here starving, and you do this to me?? I haven't had a good Yorkie for ages, as the smallest is allergic to egg. He did manage a pancake recently though, with no ill effects, so I am crossing my fingers that Yorkshire puds will be back on the menu soon. I'm bookmarking this post to remind me how to make them - it's been too long! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite part of a roast that I always leave to eat until last....ever since childhood, we always had them every Sunday, whatever meat! Yum! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family, on both sides, would never entertain little mini puddings. We always got it in huge rectangles, marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My receipe is about the same as yours Donna, no measuring though it all goes in a bowl, mix it up and there's always clagging. My tin is black, washed but never scrubbed and I heat the oil till it sizzles. Last ingredient is wine, not too much otherwise the Yorkies spoil, in other words, I'm too p&@/ed to remember when I put them in the oven. I eat a leftover one with treacle (syrup) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does that make me proper yorkshire?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't completely fail but I am married to a Yorkshireman. Do I need to go on? Oh yes, he is MR PICKY when it comes to YPuds. I am going to follow this, to the letter, and just see what happens. Thank you. xx I will track you down if they don't work, just sayin. ;0) H xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow a Delia recipe for mine but I love the no measuring method so I'll be giving yours a go, Donna. These look fab! Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bloody love a good Yorkshire too & will defo be trying this recipe out Donna! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look amazing Donna - we have Yorkshires with every meat too! I do tend to measure but will have a go at your method an see what happens! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh these just look amazing. I frickin' LOVE Yorkshire puddings! I could literally sit and eat a whole tray as my dinner, comfortably! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete