A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

4.13.2015

An Animal Print Jumpsuit: Splurge(ish) or Steal?

I've had my eye on the Baukjen Halwell Print Jumpsuit for yonks (gosh I've not used that word for about 20 years but I might need to use it more often as it's a good one!).

Baukjen Halwell Print Jumpsuit in fluid animalistic print (their words not mine) £129


After the success of my Zara navy knitted jumpsuit last year (although it's bobbled to death now), I've been looking for one that can be dressed up or down and will be suitable for the holibobs which I'm sure will come around very quickly. I wanted one with a bit of a sleeve and cuffed bottoms was a must without there being too much volume around the middle. This is perfect. OK, yes it's a pattern but actually I'd say it's pretty neutral. The colour, khaki is certainly current and mixed with black is more forgiving on my warm skin tone.

Let's get one thing straight, I won't be wearing with skater shoes. Regular readers will know that I loathe them (on me). A complete knack of making them look as if I'm wearing a pair of  Cornish pasties. But, I would wear with black flat toe-thong sandals or trainers during the day and heeled sandals in the evening. And for cooler days back home, ankle boots.

I've been dipping in and out of the website for weeks and weeks waiting for it to drop into the sale. Alas, it's not happening and for some reason I started getting the collywobbles on Friday so much so that I woke up at 3am with an urge to order it there and then. I resisted and waited until a more respectable hour.

Anyway, there's 15% off the whole range here (use code GN315) with free p&p.

Happy days. I shall wait delivery.

And here the blog post should end but hang on....

Flitting around the internet last night (alright I might have searched for animal print jumpsuit short sleeves cuffed bottoms), I came across this.

Dorothy Perkins Ruby Rocks Tan Animal Print Jumpsuit currently reduced to £29.99


Ok, let's see these side by side.




 There's not that much difference is there? I know from previous purchases that for me, Baukjen is flattering around the waistline. The Dotty P one seems to have a higher waistline - which might not sit so well on my frame. And yes the more expensive one has cuffed hems and I actually do prefer the khaki colour to the tan but pre-discount, it's £100 more expensive!!!!

Well, proof shall be in the pudding. I'll just have to wait for them to arrive and providing they're not hideous a show and tell will ensue. The daughter thinks I've lost the plot and hates them both. I think they could work providing the pattern is very muted.

Turning to shoes now, I think my whole family are relieved that the search for the stringy-lacey tie shoe is over. I wanted these:

Aquazurra Belgravia Stone Suede Flats £420

Mind you, I'm still not convinced about the gold heel. Anyway, I could have got over that slight detail. I wafted the iPad in front of the husband and he pointed out that I'd just had a pair in this colour. They were boots with buckles. The only similarity is that you wear them on your feet. So that's a no then.

I even toyed with these which I love:

Russell & Bromley Logo-Lace Point Ankle Lace Flat £295


And the lace starts in a point at the front of the shoe which is really rather flattering. I don't normally dither where shoes are concerned but nearly £300 for what is possibly a one season wonder??? And minus all the rainy days here in Cheshire when they can't be worn equals rather a lot of pounds per wear. Ouch.

So sensible head ordered 5 pairs, including these from New Look (still not sure about the gold heel),  these from Dune (so darn uncomfortable), these from Next (I hated them on my feet), these from Office (although nice, I decided I didn't want black after all - doh) and these from Boden in silver and navy. I loved both colours but I don't wear that much silver so back they went although I was tempted to keep both pairs. In the end, the navy won. Well most of my wardrobe is navy!

And here they are. It's taken a few wears to 'bed' them in but we're making friends....slowly.

Boden Lille Lace-up Point £89 



I bought the sweet little bag from Next last season and forgot all about it so was delighted to rediscover it in the back of the wardrobe this week. The top is again from Next bought last summer. It has a bit of a boho feel about it so I'll try with flares soon. Currently in Next clearance for £8 (reduced from £32 - sob). Click here and then scroll down as I can't do a direct link to their sale stuff.

As I write this post, I've just missed out on a beautiful walnut antique dressing table that I was bidding for, for the daughter. Took my eye off it for a minute and lost it! Don't you just hate it when someone nips in with 4 seconds to go. Grrrrrr. Think I shall have to console myself with a cup of tea and a wagon wheel.

Back soon








19 comments on "An Animal Print Jumpsuit: Splurge(ish) or Steal?"
  1. Love the Boden navy flats - I'm not keen on the ones with gold heels either! I love the navy bag too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to love the gold heel, I really have but it's just not happening for me x

      Delete
  2. I prefer the DP jumpsuit! I like the style and colour more so than the Baukjen one! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have much experience with DP fits. Baukjen seem to have a winning formula with their cuts. Really interested to see if there's much difference x

      Delete
  3. Yonks. Yes, bring that word back into circulation along with baggsy and gopping!
    These are pretty dramatic jumpsuits and I'm intrigued to see what they look like on. I prefer the khaki one but then I would at £100 more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bagsy lol, that's another under used word these days. I shall use it today! I think they'll either be brilliant or totally pants. There'll be no middle ground lol x

      Delete
  4. Have you used Goofbid? It lets you bid up to your maximum amount without you having to watch the item - www.goofbid.com. Oh yes and I prefer the Khaki jumpsuit, worn with a black sandal as you suggest. I went for the Mint Velvet Khaki jumpsuit a few weeks back.. not worn it yet but I will soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the same as what you can do on Ebay where you,put the maximum amount in and it bids on your behalf which is what I did yesterday. Someone pipped me to the post with 4 seconds to go. Booooooo. The khaki one is my favourite too, I'm not sure I actually really like the DP one I'd I'm honest. Just going to hop over to MV to see if they still have their khaki one, thanks for the heads up x

      Delete
  5. I think you've made some fab choices Donna - those Boden flats look great on and don't think you needed to spend any more on them. Can't wait to see re the jumpsuits, I actually refer the Dotty P one! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're probably right Natalie. My heart rules my head when it comes to shoes but this time (for once) I tried to be sensible x

      Delete
  6. I'm not too sure about jumpsuits. I like them on others but feel a bit wierd in them myself - for no real reason that I can fathom out! Like the Boden shoes on you, very pretty. Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so difficult to fit aren't they.,I mean you be a long bodied size 12 or short waisted size 12. Same size, different shape. Unfortunately jumpsuits don't take this into account x

      Delete
  7. Those lace up shoes are just gorgeous. And plus, wagon wheels are just the absolute one! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wagon wheels and chocolate tea cakes nom nom x

      Delete
    2. You're killing me so early in the morning!! Ha x

      Delete
  8. I definitely prefer the Baukjen one, Donna, a much nicer colour. Your Boden shoes look fab. I love them! Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's not much in it really is there? Looking forward to seeing how you get on with them Donna but I have the feeling the Baukjen will win! It just looks so much better quality & for that price it should be but I think you will wear it loads! Love the shoes & I think you made the perfect choice there! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh I can't wait to see how those jumpsuits compare, there really isn't much difference is there? I do prefer the khaki colour I think, but you never really know til you've seen them in the flesh I suppose. Lovely shoes too, that style is not for me and my thick ankles so I'll just have to admire yours instead! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice dress is there having any discount code like Debenhams Discount Code regards

    ReplyDelete