$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

5.01.2015

Casual, Layers & Comfort. Not Something You Hear On This Blog Very Often

Continuing my quest for the perfect holiday wardrobe, I was contacted by Fat Face recently who asked if they could help with my travel outfit. Excellent! My brief to them, just two words; casual and layers. Oh and then I remembered comfort - so three words then.

There's no reason to dress up as Business Class really isn't an option. Well, not whilst the kids insist on coming along. When do they actually stop? The 19 (soon to be 20) year old has made it pretty clear that whilst ever we're paying, she's coming.

I can't do skinny jeans on long haul - really no. I think I wore slightly more comfortable boyfriend jeans last year which at the moment fit like skinnies. But let's gloss over the fact that there's a fair few pounds to shift in 8 weeks. So looser chinos could be the answer. Hmmmm I haven't done chinos in a while, might be an idea to give them a whirl. Ever practical, I chose chalk white. I know, I know. I'll be on tenterhooks all flight dodging air stewards slinging coffee at me and, refusing any form of physical contact with the kids. I'm one of those that actively seek separation from the rest of the family on board. But Sod's Law, I end up with THE worse behaved child under the age of 5 sat next to me. I say sat, they normally spend 90% of their time using the seat as a trampoline and only falling asleep on mama's lap as we descend invariably with their filthy feet hanging over my arm rest. I hated my children too!

Anyway, the chinos.

Modern Chino Crop in Chalk £38


Crops are good, especially if you can get a turn up or two at the bottom. To be fair they come in a whole variety of colours but hey, my love of white bottoms is well documented on this blog.

With regards to layers, the team at Fat Face suggested a cardigan. Cardis have been off my radar for a while but in my quest for layering, it seems a natural option. I chose this one.

Annie Cardigan in Ocean Tide £38




Nice isn't it. And prettier than my usual attire. This is a cardigan that Fat Face bring out every season with just a little twist. It might be the pattern or the colour (there are several). I popped in to my local shop to browse the stock last week and the girls told me that the Rose is flying off the shelves. Anyway, I went for Ocean Tide. It's is in my colour palette -  perfect for Softs by the way (but not exclusive - other palettes can wear it too).

So, remember the brief: casual, layers and comfy.

Modern Chino Crop - Fat Face
Vest - Pure
Annie Cardigan - Fat face
Honey-Lo Trainers - Adidas Originals
Biker Jacket - Gerry Weber (now half price)
Messenger Bag - Mulberry
Scarf - Sandwich (similar)
Heart Pendant - local boutique (similar)
I love the mink and soft soft turquoise combination. It is no accident, I've done these two colours together but not since writing the blog I don't think. The scarf with lighter mocha and turquoise pattern is perfect for wrapping up warm on the flight (and for emergency blanket use on the beach - my poor yellow Zara one from last year was used and abused!!).



The chinos are so comfy, made from soft cotton with a little stretch. And wonderfully long for crops so a couple of rolls still feels good! Sometimes it feels gloriously wonderful to slip on a pair of trousers that don't strangle the legs.

They come up ever so slightly small so if you're in-between sizes, I'd size up for comfort. I'll be honest and say that the white is a tad see-through. Not so that you can see your underwear but there is a distinctive line to the pockets. No worries for me because they're always covered up - I don't do crop tops anymore (relieved face). There's obviously no such problem with the other colours.


The cardigan is 100% cotton, a real fine knit with Pointelle detailing. Perfect for layering under jackets leaving behind the bulk and yet still feeling lovely and cosy. A 5 star rating on the website as well.




Not sure why I thought you might like to see a side view - but the detail is very pretty.




I've spied a couple of other things on the website that I'd like to have a closer look at. The Cornish Crochet Lace t-shirt which I think would look lovely under a navy blazer. And the Tenby Stripe Dress (another Breton). So I shall pop back into my local shop tomorrow to check them out.

Thanks Fat Face for sending me these two pieces. Something really different to my usual jeans and blazer combo.

Wow, where has this week gone? I started off with a fairly clear diary. It didn't last long! Yesterday I was roped into helping out our annual golf day at Mottram Hall (you'll have seen it on Cheshire Housewives in the opening credits). No no I said, don't get me involved in anything golf. Just come for half an hour they pleaded. Ok but only half an hour. I got there at 8am, I left at 6.30pm!!! And I had to wear a uniform - never again. And it's voluntary.

As always our raffle table was heaving with goodies including 2 Super Dry leather jackets worth £250 each (divine - I didn't win) an Ugg bag worth £250, 3 Ugg beach towels (a staggering £55 each), a coffee maker, a signed New Order print, a pair of made-to-order hand stitched Barker shoes, a weekend away, the loan of an £80k Jag for 4 days and so much more. I didn't win a sodding thing.

People's generosity never ceases to amaze me. Here is one table of prizes.



My parents are coming up for the weekend although I hear the weather is going to be vile, pretty standard for Bank Holiday. Help. Hoping Mum might bring some of her new purchases up with her so I can share with you.

I'm also busy writing the follow up to our little colour palette study. Hope to get that up on the blog shortly.

Have a good weekend and do let me know what you think about my uber casual travel outfit. I love to hear from you xx



20 comments on "Casual, Layers & Comfort. Not Something You Hear On This Blog Very Often"
  1. That blue on you is gorgeous - so soft and REALLY lifts the white outfit - love love love

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see you in something so different to your usual look Donna. I like it! And Fiona is right, the blue really suits you. Looking forward to another guest appearance from your mum :-D, have a fab weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'll never be a cool kid on the block Becky but this outfit felt nice and yes Mum will be on the blog very shortly x

      Delete
  3. The chinos will be great all Summer! Well done on another successful event Donna! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Won't they just. I daren't count how many white jeans and trousers I now own Andrea x

      Delete
  4. Some fab additions for your holiday box! Perfectly picked pieces for your trip! Well done with the event.....what a lot of goodies on the table! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I really, really wanted the leather jacket - divine! Sod the ethics of winning - I'd have taken it lol x

      Delete
  5. I'm 32 & still holiday with my parents...! Ha ha. Only when we go to French house but it's handy now we've got two bambinos as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Louise, don't say that. I was hoping another 4 years might crack it x

      Delete
  6. Love that look - casual yet smart and so perfect for travelling. Fat Face is a shop I never go into, but I'm inspired by those jeans. Think I'm definitely going to have to try them. Laughed out loud at last years bfs now fitting like skinnies ... I feel your pain and am going through the excruciating 'nil by mouth' phase here :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's it, casual yet smart - I can't do full on casual, makes me feel like a scruff! Hmmmm nil by mouth sounds as painful as the boyfriend jeans. Just had a huge piece of carrot (healthy?) cake x

      Delete
  7. I'm looking for a flight outfit, as we will be flying to LA this summer. I'm going to check out the chinos, they look fab in your pics. I'm totally a cardie person anyway, so I really like the look you ve put together. Thanks. Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly they're totally comfortable for a long haul and to be honest for hot days in the UK too. Much nicer than frying in skinnies ha ha ha. Thanks Caroline, most of it I already had and Fat Face gifted me the chinos and cardi x

      Delete
  8. I have those chinos in sea green, they're fab! Pretty cardigan too, Donna. Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that colour Lynne, it's so fresh x

      Delete
  9. Love the cardigan Donna - really pretty! I always travel in skinnies ( I think my legs are used to being strangled!) but the chinos are definitely a good option! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. See the thing is Jenny that my skinnies always start off really comfy but something happens during the day and by evening I'm bursting out everywhere!!!!! It's not a good look on a plane when I have to undo the button AND the zip x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Job! Thank you so much for sharing this one really well defined all peaceful info regarding Web Design,I Really like it,Love it- apanage clothing online

    ReplyDelete