$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

5.15.2015

Patchwork Jeans Buy Or Customise?

I keep seeing these patched jeans from M&S.


M&S Patch Cinch Back Boyfriend Jeans (currently reduced to £36)


If I'm honest, the juries out. Not that I don't like patchwork, far from it. I'm just not ever so sure about the boyfriend style and the deep turn ups. See what I mean...


Are they cool or overly done. Is it the classic case of M&S styling or am I way out of touch. They seem a little contrived - neat patches on a slouchy jean (clown-esque???). I don't know, for some reason I think they're going to be hard to pull off unless you have the right body shape. Maybe I should try them on before dissing?

Anyway, it got me thinking. Would it be better to customise your own? You could choose where to put the patches (i.e. avoiding your bad bits, let's face it no one wants to hi light a slightly chunky thigh with a huge pale denim patch). I remember Susie So So's post a while back which is a brilliant tutorial on how to do this. She's got it so right hasn't she? And the more I look at the M&S ones, the more I dislike them. Take a look at Stylonylon and The Frugality in Sue's post. Love these!

So I think for now I'll stick with my old Noisy May unless I can be persuaded otherwise!!




Jeans - Noisy May (similar)
Shirt - Fat Face 
Blazer - H&M
Sandals - Primark (old)


Nb. I might not be as clever as Susie So So but I have this morning chopped off the hem of these jeans. Can't wait for them to start the distressing process!!

Nice short post from me today - makes a change!

Has anyone bought the M&S jeans? Do they look much better on? Maybe I should scratch the itch and go and try them for myself.

Have a lovely weekend.












14 comments on "Patchwork Jeans Buy Or Customise?"
  1. I have to say I'm not keen on those m&s ones. I much prefer the ones you are wearing. However, I'm not fashion forward or edgy so what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, I'm not a fan of the M&S ones - they're a bit Huckleberry Finn for my liking!! I'll be passing on the patchwork phase :D x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always scratch the itch and try before usually sending things back, but at least I'm not left wondering "what if" and "did i miss out?" (just scratched itch for M&S suede skirt - fully expect to be taking it back for refund on Monday). I spotted these jeans yesterday but resisted the urge as I already have a patched pair from Matalan and think one patched pair in the wardrobe is enough. Wish I was talented/patient enough to patch my own! Love your posts btw keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't see me wearing those M&S jeans Donna - think I'd look like a chimney sweep waif! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh yes, I think the M&S ones are a bit artful dodger from Oliver Twist! Yours are way better! You only need the one pair....I scratched the itch with some H&M ones a while ago which I enjoy wearing now and again! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean with the M&S ones, there's definitely realistic, cool distressing/patching and then there's this mumsy version. Shame, as some of their denim this year has been brilliant. Not feeling these though xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just as Michelle says, there's only room for one pair of this style in your wardrobe I think and I think they have to be skinny... I think you're bang on in your assessment of patch with this looser fit. I expect those M&S ones to be reduced further!! Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appear to do a lot of 'thinking' reading that comment back!!

      Delete
  8. I like patchwork jeans, but only the skinny variety. I think these would be very hard to pull off. You look fab in yours, Donna. Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to do a Susie on some of my jeans for a while! I think yours are perfect on Donna & why would you want to hide those amazing pins in baggy boyfs?! Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! Leave those M&S ones where they are. You did a far better job! I don't have any patched jeans .. just a bit too HollyHobby doll for my liking. Yet another trend that I've bypassed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeez! Should just clarify that it's the ones with the huge patches that I find a bit too HollyHobby .. not yours .. yours are lovely ... I'll stop digging now, shall I?!!

      Delete
  11. Nope. Those M&S ones are horrid (based on these pictures admittedly, not seen IRL). I'm not into this sort of look at all unless you were to wear with a slouchy grey tee and trainers. A little patch I can get onboard with though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a lot of takers up there on the M&S jeans Donna. I take that as a no then. But I found it very difficult to find a pair with the patches how I liked and that fitted, so yep, I had to take matters into my own hands. It did help that the pair of jeans I was patching did infact need a a bit of patching done. I wasn't sure how much I was going to wear my pair but I genuinely love them. If you look at my pair, the patches follow a similar pattern to the H&M ones that they did the first time round. I just took the inspiration from that and copied the layout.

    Thanks for the lovely shoutout too :) #warmandfuzzy

    ReplyDelete