$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

9.15.2015

Fill Your Drawers With Polo Necks - It's Going To Be A Very Long, Cold Winter

Well that's what the Daily Mail told me this morning. It's all to do with the El Nino phenomenon. Haven't a clue what that means but it sounds serious. Never one to miss a shopping opportunity, I've been looking at polo neck sweaters.

Now, I'm not going to get too hung up on names...polo, roll neck, turtle, funnel. Whatever. If they cover the neck, they've made this post. The thing is, I was a bit bleugh about the whole scarf thing last year. I love the chunky woolly ones that make my head look the size of a pin but the thinner ones that I've always worn under a jacket, I kind of really went off them. A high neck jumper seems a sensible option then.

Anyway, this one popped up on my Facebook and it was love at first sight. A slouchy fit, really unusual fabric (it's ribbed but 100% viscose so not at all a typical jumper). Oh and let's give special mention to the asymmetric neck which isn't so much asymmetric as baggy.

Paisie Navy Ribbed Asymmetric Turtleneck £75



I was lucky enough to see Paisie's A/W collection earlier in the year and can't actually remember this at all so can only think it wasn't there because I would have dived on it.

Also available in grey although I think it's possibly more suited to cooler skin tones (the model is cool skinned). And I concede, the neckline does look more angled in this shot.

Paisie Light Grey Ribbed Asymmetric Turtleneck £75



And staying with Paisie for a final offering. Slouchy but not asymmetric. Gorgeous colour for most (me included)! I'm guessing it's a soft white as opposed to a pure white which is very forgiving on the skin. Love the loose hem. I procrastinated earlier this year that corduroy must be due for a comeback and so it seems it's wormed its way back into our lives. Bit marmite corduroy isn't it. Anyway, I'm thinking a pair of needle cord winter white skinnies and beige ankle boots and you've got yourself a nice little outfit there.

Paisie White Slouchy Turtleneck Jumper £70



Moving on to Boden, their popular Off Duty Jumper is available in a variety of colours this year, my favourite being the navy. I've got a similar pair of trousers to these which are slightly more fitted - they're unlikely to see the light of day again after a friend stopped me and said that my legs were really brown. Mortified I was and when I got home and looked in the mirror, it did indeed look as if I wasn't wearing any trousers. Moving on, the Off Duty Jumper is also available in black, grey, beige and red.

Boden Merino Off Duty Jumper £89 (pre offer)



Uniqlo have their usual array of colours (14 in fact). This one is extra fine merino wool and as you'd expect a great price. I'm more an acrylic girl myself - I can't put anything 'real' next to my skin. Love the idea of creating a column of colour - black trousers, black polo and throwing on an over sized coat. I've picked up a gorgeous dogtooth checked one which I'm itching (lol) to wear.

Uniqlo Extra Fine Merino Rib Polo Neck Sweater £24.90



Esprit have a batwing version. The neck looks less fitted which is ideal if you hate the feeling of being strangled! It's probably much more forgiving around the tummy than the Uniglo one above. 5 colours to choose from, this darker grey is my favourite.

Esprit Soft Jumper, Batwing Sleeves, Cowl Neck £39



A nice little offering from Zara, perfect with a pair of culottes and trainers.

Zara Knit Sweater £29.99






Adore the overly long sleeves on this one. It does look itchy but it's mainly cotton so I could probably manage this. I've got a black faux leather skirt that I haven't worn yet, I'm thinking it would work with the sweater.

Jigsaw Grey Soft Stretch Polo Neck Sweater £129



A throw on poncho with a funnel neck, an ideal car coat. For me, perfect for hiding the pyjamas on the 7.30am school run.

ASOS Poncho With Funnel Neck In Boucle Neck £45



Love the colour of this Zara one - it's a perfect neutral for absolutely anyone.

Zara Fringed Poncho £39.99



Oh my goodness, there are so so many to choose from this year. One thing to note though, if you're big busted, stick to a darker colour that doesn't emphasise the 'ledge'.

Well I'm sat on my own in the house tonight. The family are scattered around the country. The daughter is watching Man City (booooooo), the hubby is supporting his team in Cheltenham and the son is travelling back from a match he's played in against a school in Shrewsbury. Me? I shall be putting on my pyjamas shortly, pouring a huge glass of wine and watching trash on the tv. Bliss!

Might get my black polo neck out tomorrow for a test run.



8 comments on "Fill Your Drawers With Polo Necks - It's Going To Be A Very Long, Cold Winter"
  1. I know as I'm top heavy I *shouldn't* wear polo necks but I do love a longline black polo under a poncho when it's cold. I absolutely love the Zara fringed poncho, might have to hunt that one out! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep the darker shades work so much better for me but oh I would love a winter white one! x

      Delete
  2. Deffo with you on this one Donna, so much so that I'm wearing one today. It's the snuggle factor that does it for me. Fab choices! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And not having to mess about with a scarf. I wore a scarf yesterday, it drove me bonkers. Like I said, I'm a bit off them at the moment so a polo is a great alternative x

      Delete
  3. Oh Poop, I love that Jigsaw sweater. Thanks Donna, I had convinced myself I had bought enough this September. Grrrrr H xx (I managed to bag 3 of the Ines for Uniqlo polos before they sold out. £24.99 each, which I thought was fab value)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trouble is some of the knits look for enormous, I'd be swamped in them! And some of them do also look they're swamping the models - ha, ha. But I do like that Zara one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a problem isn't it. I guess layering is a much better option than a chunkier knit x

      Delete