$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

10.03.2015

A Cheaper Alternative To The Leather Legging

I cannot tell you how much I've longed for a pair of leather leggings. I bought a pair of leather trousers from Ted Baker about 15 years ago and loved them to bits. I didn't love the dry cleaning bills though! I am assured by fellow blogger, Joanna over at Poppy's Style that you can wash leather and Kat at Does My Bum Look 40 is supposed to be testing this out. Personally, I'd be a quivering wreck. The Liv leather leggings from Baukjen would be my first choice.

They. Are. Sublime.

I wanted them last year and I want them this. Hubby has even said he'll buy them for me but until I know for sure that they can be washed at home, I'm going to give them a wide berth.

Liv Leggings £349




So until I cave in, I've replaced my cheap H&M ones from last year with these equally cheap ones from Next.

Coated Pull On Leggings £22



Not the best picture, they really don't look like disco pants in real life. Look, I put them against a shiny bed cover to show you that they look more leather, less 70s nightclub.



I ordered both the black and berry in regular and longer length. To be honest the regular length is perfect on me (sitting on the ankles). Black is out of stock in my size but will be delivered in a couple of weeks. I'll probably keep the black ones too.

Size wise - they're ever so slightly generous. I ordered a 10 and they fit fine, maybe a tad on the loose side. They wrinkle slightly on the leg but given that the £349 Baukjen ones are also wrinkled, I figured this was a good thing. Rather a few wrinkles than sizing down and having legs of sausage. Just praying they don't give with wear. Nora Batty isn't really the look I'm after. I'll let you know on Instagram tomorrow when they've had their first outing. And here comes the old lady bit...they're ever so comfortable.



So have I scratched the itch? Can I do without a pair of real leather leggings. I still feel the urge to order them. Come on someone, hurry up and wash a bit of leather!

It was an early meet at school for the son's rugby this morning, followed by our local football team playing at home (a goalless match - booooooo). And sadly that sun ain't shining anymore so out came the big coat. Now that was a shock to the system! Curry and X-Factor tonight. Oh wait, where's X-Factor? I really hope Simon & co have enough weeks left before Christmas. Darn you rugby! You're ruined my evening - again!





5 comments on "A Cheaper Alternative To The Leather Legging"
  1. The Next ones look FAB! I am a fan of the coated skinny jeans/leggings and I have some cheap faux leather ones from H&M from a few years ago

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them. I've been toying with some that I saw in Dunnes Stores, but those Next ones look more comfy. And I'm right with you ... I too would be a quivering nervous Nelly if I were to put real leather trousers or leggings into the washing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These coated leggings look great for the money. I have the m&s leather front/Jersey back trousers since last year and I wash them in my machine inside a pillowcase on a short delicate cool wash and they are great. I love them, definitely worth the investment. Go for it !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a pair of Next pleather leggings from a year or two back, and they've been fantastic. V flattering too! I might be in the market for a coloured pair now that I've seen you in yours...xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete