$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

10.04.2015

Creases, Rugby and A Leggings Update

Rugby has a lot to answer for in this house. Online shopping! To beat the boredom. And, if the husband even mentions the number of parcels received into this household I won't be responsible for my actions. Take last night for example, he and the son took themselves off into the other room (the 'big screen') - I'm told England were playing. It was Saturday night for goodness sake and I was left on my own. The amount of screaming coming out of that room was probably enough to warrant a police visit, I thought they were murdering each other. Apparently England lost (whoops).

So the latest delivery happens to be from a shop that I rarely feature and rarely shop in, Dorothy Perkins. I need a few easy wear tops and when I say easy wear, I mean good old polyester. Of the wash it, hang it, wear it variety.

The first top I pulled out of the bag (and when I say pulled out, I mean just that, the garments were rammed in there they were) was a wrap pussybow blouse.

Ivory Pussybow Blouse £25 



Also available in tall.


It was all just a bit bleur. I preferred the bow unfastened but the drape, the wrap the bow and see through material, it was all a bit much. So this is a definite no.

I didn't fare much better with this next top.

Ivory Lace Yoke Victoriana Top £24



I loved the neckline detailing - I've been after something like this but will revert back to Mango or Zara. The material felt cheap, it was creased and badly made around the hemline. Come on Dotty P, you can do better than this!



Let's pretend that never happened. It's a no. Move on.

I know that nude/blush pink is a flattering colour for my skin tone (indeed any Soft and Light colour palettes) and there's lots of it around again this year (yippee).

High Neck Pussybow Blouse (reduced to £17.99)


The detailing around the neckline is really well executed so I'll show you this first.




I love the billowing cuffs and the slim neck tie. In fact the only thing that's putting me off is that it's a tad wide at the hem. Given I'll be wearing a jacket most of the time and have the option of a front tuck, I might give it a go.



Another blush pink, this time with a contrast neck tie.

Blush Frill Neck Blouse £22


And with me in it!



It's one of those happy tops that made me smile when I put it on. I think I'll enjoy wearing it so it's a yes.

I'd happily keep both pink ones but I'm trying to buy better quality (is there such a thing as better quality polyester?). I've lightly steamed both of them and will try on again tomorrow to decide whether I keep one or both.

I've got to say though that I wasn't overly impressed with the quality. Primark at double the cost (even though we're only talking £20ish, I guess you can pick up similar at Primark for a tenner). And, I wasn't chuffed at the way everything was packaged either. Crumpled up in little poly bags which meant that everything was terribly creased (other than the first blouse which came on a coat hanger). It all felt a little unloved.

So thank goodness the rugby is over, well it is for England anyway. I'll give the old t'internet a wide birth for a few days.

Coated Leggings Update: following on from my post yesterday, I can confirm that the Next leggings do not lose their shape, I repeat, they do not lose their shape (even with my knobbly knees). Very, very impressed.

Boyfriend Shirt - Boden
Coated Leggings - Next
Boots - Toga Pulla (sold out but this years collection here)
Chancery Clutch - Boden 

I'll probably not have chance to blog again until next weekend, so enjoy your week whatever you're up to.






16 comments on "Creases, Rugby and A Leggings Update"
  1. Oh what a shame Donna....disappointing haul! :0( I love the Victoriana lace blouse but I wouldn't be able to cope with that amount of creasing! Those Next coated leggings look amazing on you....but you do have the perfect pins for them! :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Michelle, they were pretty pants - all but one returned!

      Delete
  2. Whoop! Excellent news on the leggings! Will now definitely try them on
    Polyester tops are so hard to get right and I've yet to see a white one that doesn't look cheap and nasty. Really love the final blush top on you - the one with the black bow. Really lovely. Actually both blush tops are nice. Keep both :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just kept the one in the end Helen, the one with the black bow and to be fair it is rather nice x

      Delete
  3. Love the leggings, but can't stand the pussy bow tops, but do like the blush colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind a pussy bow but I think it has to be good quality to pull off successfully. Agree, blush is such a lovely colour x

      Delete
  4. I've been disappointed with the quality from Dotty Ps too so I don't bother too much. I do love the blush ones on you though. Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doubt I'll be ordering anything again for a while Lynne x

      Delete
  5. Those leggings are fab, super colour and fit. I feel a little trying on session coming on for myself. I've admitted defeat with DP, always totally underwhelmed with their quality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leggings are actually ace - so pleased with them x

      Delete
  6. For me, DP is one of those shops where I have to physically be before I'll even think about trying anything! Such a shame about the Victoriana blouse, but I do love that first pink one. The neckline is beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all rather unfamiliar territory to be honest even though we have a DP in our town, I never go in x

      Delete
  7. Perhaps better to spend £80 on one really good quality blouse? You always look really nice and put together and you have a lovely figure, but these tops do you no favours. Great skinnies though! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an itch I had to scratch, I haven't stepped foot in Dotty P's for ages - not impressed though and I agree with you. But, I've discovered the most beautiful tops from a brand called French. Really gorgeous fabrics that hang to perfection. No doubt a blog post will follow x

      Delete
    2. Oh brilliant! Thanks! Am sick of the regulars, no inspiration on the high street at the moment xx

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete