A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

11.04.2015

Baukjen vs Boden: The Roll Neck Challenge

Ohhh shucks another 2 weeks have passed and I haven't blogged - tardy or what? Hope you're keeping well and enjoying the beautiful colours of autumn. I know here, we've probably got maybe just over a week of spectacular views each morning before all the leaves fall. Sad huh? We nipped over to Spain last week for a few days (our last this year). The weather was predictably mixed but we did manage to appreciate the sun from our loungers several times.

I've barely used social media recently and have certainly been rubbish at taking photos of my new purchases (there are many). Helping out a friend in his shop is sooooo tempting. I want everything! Lots of chunky knits, my faux leather leggings (I've yet to plunge for the real thing) and ankle boots. Perfect as until now, my coats have stayed in the closet.

I feel one final purchase on the knitwear front is required before I start thinking about Christmas clobber. For weeks and weeks I've pondered whether to buy the navy roll neck from Boden or Baukjen. 

Left: Boden Right: Baukjen 

Honestly, I've spent far more time than is healthy looking at the photos online, playing the little videos but couldn't work out which one I preferred. And then it hit me, a flash of inspiration, why not order them both!!!! Genius! 

So here's my review.

Boden Merino Off Duty Jumper £89 (currently with a diminishing discount)




Ordered Friday, received Tuesday. Let's get the most important thing out of the way first of all, it's not itchy. Honestly, not one little bit. 100% Merino wool and machine washable (whoops and dances in a circle). I adore the boxy shape, the neck is perfect, not too tight and not too floppy and I love the tighter fit ribbed sleeves. The only draw back is the sleeve length. On me, they're slightly above the wrist - I would have preferred them to have been longer. Being a big gangly, shorter sleeves always remind me of hand-me-downs. Longer length ones always seem to have an air of luxury about them don't you think?

I ordered a Medium for a larger fit.

Free delivery on this item and with the current 25% off, it works out at just £66.75. Sorely tempted to order again to take advantage of the saving!

Cr*p photo alert (sorry, the autumnal light ain't great in this part of the world)





Ordered Friday, received Wednesday and as always exquisitely packaged. On the itchy gauge on a scale of 0-10 where 0 is no itch at all and 10 is positively rash-bearing, I'd give it a 1.5. Having tried the Boden one on first of all which, I have to say is akin to wearing your comfiest pyjamas, the Baukjen had a very slight itch. Now given my itch-radar, most people wouldn't even notice it. I'd say I could probably do a 3 maximum (I am Hans Christien Andersen's, Princess And The Pea). 100% Merino wool which requires a cool hand wash (boooooo). 

As for the fit, it's equally fab. I ordered a S/M - it's very roomy! No criticism about the roll neck, the colour is as seen online and the sleeves are sufficiently long. It is however much longer in the body than it looks online. I was expecting a decent length but it's mid thigh on me (I'm 5ft 8 1/2 - always state the half Donna, always state the half).

Free delivery with this item and 25% off if you use code NEW257 making it £104.25

I don't think the photo actually does it justice, far nicer in real life!




So, which one did I choose? Lots of oooooohing and arrrrrrring. The Boden is perfect bar the sleeve length, the Baukjen is equally perfect bar the longer body length. In the end, the Boden had the edge so I went for that one. Interestingly, there's a £50 price difference between the two. I can't see £50 worth of difference.

And very pleased I am too! Might even wear it for bonfire night. Well that merely consists of opening the gate at the bottom of the garden and watching our local golf club's display for free. Even the dog loves it. Yep, a dog that loves fireworks!



Back to school for my little big-one tomorrow. Since when has October half term extended to nearly 2 weeks? Oh well, I've enjoyed the lie-ins.








14 comments on "Baukjen vs Boden: The Roll Neck Challenge"
  1. Excellent choice! The Baukjep was just too long and despite that whole extra half inch ... I think it made you look smaller than you actually are. Gorgeous jumpers incidentally - I'm taking myself off now to check out the Boden one. The 'no itch' label sold it for me x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree, the Baukjen looked much better with heels but it's not the look I'd planned! I've road tested the Boden and was comfy (i.e. no itch) all day x

      Delete
  2. Great choice, the Boden one is a great length on you. I think I must be the only person who doesn't look great in that Boden sweater, it is the most hideous thing I've tried on so far the year and I'm gutted about it! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly the same here! It honestly looked dreadful on me, totally frumpy and unflattering, though I love it on others

      Delete
    2. I have to be really careful with roll necks being slightly top heavy but the boxy shape seemed to help. Keep looking Sue, there'll be one out there for you somewhere...

      Delete
    3. Anon, it's rubbish when you can't partake in a trend isn't it. I have a gorgeous faux leather a-line skirt sat in my wardrobe that I look hideous in no matter what I do (sad face) x

      Delete
  3. I desperately need a roll neck jumper for this winter! I love the colour and style of the Boden one on you. Jane x

    http://arthursmum.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Both you and baby could snuggle into the roll neck Jane x

      Delete
  4. Ooh I definitely recommend the Boden sweater....I got one last year and I love it! Out of the 2 I prefer the Boden one on you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair the Baukjen is gorgeous but works better with heels. The model must be a gazillion feet tall because it finishes much higher on her leg x

      Delete
  5. Yep the Boden one is a winner. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice, I have the Boden in grey, love it so much I have ordered the blue, (which has just arrived, love it), in total agreement on the 0 itch!
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I can see the grey one really suiting you Sue - I might just get another colour myself x

      Delete