$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

1.08.2016

Adding To My Wardrobe With A Classic Little Top

Well I did promise a guest appearance for this post but it's kind of not happened. I'm still working on it. Let's just say I have a very reluctant model.

Anyway, how is everyone? All that prep for Christmas...been and gone in the blink of an eye. And now we're embarking on what I think are the hardest two months of the year. Ugh!

I've been meaning to put this little top on the blog for a while, the first lot of photos didn't come out (Prosecco + camera = blurred pictures) but at least it's given me a chance to fully road test it in the meantime.

It's from Kettlewell. If you recall, I received the stunning forest green City Poncho and Ribbed Scarf which I adore and wear regularly. The original post can be found here. Lots of plans to wear it during spring too. So this time, it's the turn of the Diane Swing Top. To be honest, I feel a bit of a fraud. I mean Kettlewell are renowned for their lovely colours and I chose a very safe sand. But but but. In my defence, there were very few colour options available at the time of ordering and as much as I loved the silver, it really wouldn't have done me any favours at all. Anyway, all colours are now back in stock including the true red which would have been my first choice (for Christmas and all).

Diane Swing Top in Sand

Top - Kettlewell £39
Coated leggings - Next (old)
Ankle boots- Boden (now £59.50)

I'm not going to lie to you, it was freezing when these photos were taken (and windy - yep, I'm holding the hem to stop it from blowing about).

So what about the top then? It's a great little layering piece, looks lovely under jackets and washes like a dream. I'm so over cheap tops that twist and pucker in the wash. The fabric is quite heavy which gives it a lovely drape especially from the back. I'd say it's true to size, I'm wearing a medium. Oh and did I mention, it covers the bum - winner!



I lasted 3 whole shots before diving inside for a coat. Don't you think it has a lovely shape?

Coat - Forever Unique (old0


I've built up quite a little collection of easy wear tops and jumpers - the Diane Swing Top will sit very nicely alongside them. I'm really enjoying my wardrobe at the moment. It's a nice place to be (for once).

Turning to spring, the blue iris one is gorgeous. It would appear that fresh blues are 'in' this year. I can already think of several ways to wear this one.

Diane Swing Top in Blue Iris



We've got a holiday coming up in February which will require lots of planning (I mean, rewriting the rule book and everything). I'll tell you about it soon. In the meantime, I'm bracing myself for the Arctic blast next week and even gone so far as to change my car. After the farce of getting stuck in what amounted to an inch of snow last year (embarrassing), it's 4 wheel drives all the way for me from now on. Living on the edge of the Peak District has very few advantages in winter. Sledging. We do good sledging, that's about it. We were without heating for 9 days over Christmas. NatWest HomeServe have a very different definition of a 24 hour call out service to me. Let's just say it was closer to 60 hours and then the part was out of stock and then it was new year and they don't work. Blah blah blah.  And if the plumber is to be believed, the gas boiler is on it's last legs. It won't be a happy place here if it dies a death next week. We're not really good friends, the cold and I.

So next time it could be one of many posts swimming around my head at the moment. The intention is there, the commitment isn't. You see late to the party and all (11 years actually), I'm watching Prison Break. I know, I know it's positively ancient but very addictive. I didn't realise how old it actually is, I mean those prison uniforms don't date at all do they. Obviously classic pieces.

On that note, I'm off to watch Series 1 Episode 11.

See ya xx





4 comments on "Adding To My Wardrobe With A Classic Little Top"
  1. It looks great on you Donna!
    You have fabulous legs.
    I'm a typical pear shape with tree trunk legs so this style wouldn't do me any favours.
    I've now had my colours done and I am indeed an Autumn - warm, soft, deep. I've bought several tops in the Kettlewell sale in colours I'd never usually wear - lime, purple, orange and red. Prior to my colour analysis I used to live in black. Since revamping my wardrobe to my correct colours I've not worn black on top and only worn a black skirt a handful of times. I get lots more compliments now.
    However I am envious of my mum who was found to be winter - cold, clear and I think deep. She has all the colours I love in her palette. Typical! Still at least she benefitted because about 75% of my wardrobe were her colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh you're exactly the same as me (and you're mum is the same as my mum). I too envied her gorgeous strong palette of pretty colours but over the years now appreciate my own. And of course, there's always a chance that we'll move into the Cool palette like our mums further down the line x

      Delete
  2. Definitely a classic top Donna. It looks great on you! Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, I do think Kettlewell are great for producing good solid foundation pieces x

      Delete