A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

2.29.2016

Uniform!

Uniforms. I have one. Do you? An outfit template that I step in to nearly every day. Something I feel comfortable in and works on every level.

Of course my uniform starts with skinnies and a top. Then depending on the weather, there might be a jacket, jumper or coat. And shoes, trainers or boots. Scarf or necklaces plus bracelet and watch. And that's it. A format that works and I don't have to think too hard.

Every single outfit starts with the skinnies and a top of some sort. The silhouette is there and no one is more surprised than me, each look below is kinda different. (Oh the pain of taking photos sometimes pays dividends).

All old
Bailey Jeans - Wrap London


All old
Austen Cross Body Bag - Modalu 


All old

All old
City Ponch - Kettlewell


All old
Diane Swing Top - Kettlewell


I hadn't thought too much about my uniform until this morning when I decided to wear a pleather skirt that's been hanging in my wardrobe unworn for months. Oh boy. How long did it take me to get ready? I couldn't get a top to work with it, eventually settling on an oversized jumper. And then the bottom half needed attention. Black skirt, black wool tights and black boots didn't look right so I had to play around with this too. Let's not even talk about the coat dilemma. It was all so complicated. And I nearly gave up.

Imagine having to go through that rigmarole every frickin day. Errrrrr no. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to ring the changers every now and again but for me, I'll stick to my uniform for now.

Call me a lazy so-and-so. Sticks and stones and all that.

Do you have a uniform or are you someone who loves to create different looks every day? Do share.


7 comments on "Uniform!"
  1. And what a chic uniform you have! You are looking amazing in these photos Donna, I adore green on you, every outfit is spot on. My uniform is super boring, boyfriend jeans, sweater, trainers..comfort rules!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances. High praise indeed from one of my favourite bloggers....ever!!! You know the more I think about it, the more we probably all have our 'own' uniform and maybe just don't realise it x

      Delete
  2. I totally have a uniform! Skinnies (I have every colour under the sun) and a top (many of them are bretons, though I do oversized tops, or slim fit tops), boots and a scarf. Done. Must admit am getting slightly bored with it though. Some days I shake it up with a denim shirt dress and boots. I love your style, you look fab in all the photos, especially the green poncho, gorgeous colour on you. As a Cmb fan, I love how you sometimes 'break' the rules with light grey and black - I'm a soft & warm like you and I still wear these colours (carefully) on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathryn for your lovely comments. I know what you mean about getting bored. Every spring I feel like this and get really excited about new shapes and trends. The reality is I try them but always return to my comfort zone. When I break the colour rules, I do have to think more than usual to make it work eg adapt my make up or tie my hair back xx

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally with my style personality now I've worked out what it is Donna! It makes things so much easier once you've worked out best for you!
    Yep, I'm the same skinnies and trainers are generally the basis, chuck on a Breton, slogan sweatshirt or a knit and sling a coat/jacket over the top and I'm good to go! I like to perk things up with a trend item now and again but I usually stick with safer bits these days that way I make less mistakes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am guilty of wearing the same old uniform day in and day out too! Once you find something which is flattering and you feel "you" in, it doesn't pay to start messing around with it, does I t?! Ditto getting a little bored and envious of other "uniforms", but whenever I try a new look, I end up just like your outs with the skirt combo, and not feeling right. If it takes too much effort, I will end up hating the outfit within an hour😂. Tried and tested goes a long way I say! 😉

    ReplyDelete