A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

3.19.2016

Uniform Part 2

Uniform Part 1 (although I didn't know it was part one when I wrote it) is here. But I feel a follow up is needed. You see the peeps at Great Plains asked if they could send me a 'uniform' to have a play with. Ooooh go on then. I've bought a few bits from this company over the last couple of years and love each piece. In fact, their Spring catalogue was delivered just before we went to Dubai and I took it to read on the plane. There were many dog-eared pages. Well it is a long flight.

One of the things I love about Great Plains is that there's always a nod to current trends through colour and cut but the pieces have longevity too. I'm so over buying in to trends that only last a few months. And I'm getting a bit too old to follow them anyway. I'm more about building a capsule wardrobe these days.

So, my uniform is made up of skinny jeans or trousers and a top plus a jacket, coat or jumper (the weather dictates the latter). Gosh how lazy am I???

And this is what Great Plains sent me.

1. The Bottoms

Marsie Textured Jacquard Trousers (True Navy)



Not a new shape to me as I have a couple of pairs of slim leg crops and these were love at first sight. They have pockets (oh yeah), little slits at the back of the hems (these thing matter) and they're navy (a great alternative to black for many of us).

2. The Top

Waffle On Cropped T-Shirt 



I think GP designed this with me (and you) in mind. Love the stripes of course but the fabric is really different, it's a lovely soft waffle fabric. A slouchy box fit with elbow length sleeves. One of those easy wear tops that you'll reach for time and time again. Love how good it looks with the current season wide leg crops. Actually, there's some lovely, lovely trousers in this season's collection - have a look for yourself. Got my eye on 3 pairs.

3. The Layer For Warmth

Claudia Suiting Trench Coat


Not just any old trench coat, a very special one. I've got a traditional camel trench that I'll show you next time. Thing is, it doesn't look as good open as it does when it's fastened. Sometimes you just want to slip a coat on and leave it at that. Well, I was really surprised at how lovely this Great Plains one looks when it's left open. Although it looks fluid, it hangs in a structured way which for my body shapes works a treat. Perfect for transitional wear and something that won't date. A big tick for longevity.

And the three pieces together.


3 key pieces that will work for a heck of a long time yes?

I didn't really need to do anything other than add shoes. Love outfits that you don't have to think too hard about.



Sizing is pretty standard. If you're a 12, you're a 12. The only issue I had with the items was that I'm an inbetweeny size and the trousers fitted around the waist but were ever so slightly too big around the hips. I can live with that.



You know when you feel nice in an outfit?

That.


This uniform lark is dead easy. And I for one will be sticking with it (most of the time) because I'm a lazy so and so. And it kinda works.

Hey, there's 20% off selected items at the moment too, just quote 20GPRED and if you want to receive the newsletter, click here.

It's all been very exciting this week in the boutique. We took delivery of the first 10 boxes of Ichi samples. I snaffled a khaki long sleeveless waistcoat, a pair of trousers and a top. Very restrained. Thing is there's another 48 boxes on their way. I'm pacing myself. Just got to work out how we're going to get the whole lot up to the top floor. And who is going to take them. Eeny meeny miny moe. If you're in or around Macclesfield, do pop in to say hi.

And turning my attention to housey things, we really need to update our home office. Husband has decided that the floor that was put down in the cinema room last year isn't the right acoustic (lord knows why he's bothered, he only watches sport) so wants to lift it and relay it in the office. Much scratching of heads by the flooring people but they've decided, yes it can be done without too much damage. I'll kill him if there isn't enough wood to do the job. Haven't a clue what design we're going for, it's about as interesting to me as a visit to Sports Direct. Yawn. Yawn. Yawn.

Final note: husband's verdict of the above outfit,

"yes very nice, haven't you already got a stripey top"

Stupid comment. Haven't you got more than one pair of black socks?




11 comments on "Uniform Part 2"
  1. Absolutely love every single bit of this outfit. That top has my name all over it! Off to have a serious mooch at the website x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the whole outfit. Big great plains fan. I have those trousers, off to look at the top now. Noooooo no more stripy top least if i keep buying stripes hubby wont notice.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynette. I particularly love this collection, could wear it all. And yep that's true, husband's don't notice the different stripes do they mwahahahahah x

      Delete
  3. Love the whole outfit. Big great plains fan. I have those trousers, off to look at the top now. Noooooo no more stripy top least if i keep buying stripes hubby wont notice.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the whole outfit. Big great plains fan. I have those trousers, off to look at the top now. Noooooo no more stripy top least if i keep buying stripes hubby wont notice.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha good point. My hubby probably thins I have just one stripe top. Oh little does he know

      Delete
  5. How dark is the navy top? I look best in a light navy - have warm colouring- and it's always tricky to see the exact colour online..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know what you mean. It's darker than a light navy but not so that it looks black. Probably confused you more now xx

      Delete