$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

4.01.2016

I Said I'd Never Go Down The Rainbow Route...

Rod, Jane and Freddy, come on down!



So very late to the party, 12+ months to be precise but I picked up these dungarees the other day. 



Got to admit, I was attracted to the colour more than anything. A lovely dusky pink. Ichi call it antler (not laughing). 

So, I asked the daughter what she thought. She looked me up and down and said "ooooh I don't really know what to say" Great start.

Then I turned to a couple of very stylish ladies who happen to be bloggers. Here's the conversation...

Me: Honest opinions. Not styled or anything.

Blogger 1: Ummm ummm I'm sort of with your daughter...I thought you were naked when I first scrolled up. I'm going with the jury's out.

Blogger 2: Take. Them. Off. Now. And let us never speak of them again.

Blogger 1: Oh...crying laughing...Donna suffice to say I think you can do better.

Me: That'll be a no then! And for your information, I've just looked them up and the colour is antler. But I might just keep them for no other reason than I like 'antler' (runs and hides)

Blogger 2: Sweet. Baby. Jesus.

Me: Chill your beans.

So, I think we can say that the daughter, Blogger 1 and Blogger 2 are in the 'NO CAMP' (all very stylish ladies I'll have you know).

But what do you think? Are they really that bad. Answers on a postcard please.

A couple of things to point out:

1. I haven't styled them - a blazer and a more fitted shirt might be required. And shoes. Obvs.
2. It's not my bedroom. I don't do messy. Daughter I'm looking at you!!!





Go on hit me with it. 

I guess if you fancy embarking on the dungaree territory, a few points to bear in mind.

1. Keep the rest of your outfit pretty formal; a shirt and blazer make it slightly more age appropriate and sharp edged (think urban rather than agricultural) and a blazer can hide the bum if you're a bit conscious of that area. For me, layering works far better than simply teaming with a t-shirt. It looks more polished.
2. A softer fabric will drape better than a stiff denim (you can get jegging-esque denim - thank the lord) 
3. Find the perfect pair and think of them as a trouser suit. It might help you style them. 
4. If you're over the age of 19 1/2 forget the dungaree/crop top combo. 
5. An ankle grazer length is really flattering
6. If you're bigger busted, make sure the bib isn't a skinny one. Wrong on every level!
7. Find the perfect pair and they can really elongate your frame which is right on every level!

ASOS have a great selection here and if you can't do trouser dungarees, how about this from Top Shop:


 

Also in khaki. I really, really like it. And to be fair, chuck all the rules out above. I'd wear it with a plain white t-shirt. 

Gosh, that was another busy week with work and family stuff. The son finally broke up for the Easter holidays today. Not sure whose decision it was to have the Easter holidays AFTER Easter but hey ho they're here now. And we've had a letter home to say that they expect 5 hours revision for a Year 10 student every day. Mwahahahahaha. Take that son. His negotiation started at 1 hour a day. I've got it up to 2.5 and I'll settle at 3. But don't tell him.

The yellow blog post is on it's way - pinky promise.







20 comments on "I Said I'd Never Go Down The Rainbow Route..."
  1. Donna I have to say I think it's the colour that's wrong. Do they come in black?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do Sandra. Trouble is it's the colour I love but thanks for your input. I think most people are saying no!! x

      Delete
  2. No no no. You look good in so many things - but these are vile. Keep up the good work, you make me laugh a lot... And your advice is usually very sound. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha thanks. I'm guessing 'vile' will be my husband's reaction if I decide to keep them. Glad I make you laugh (for the right reasons I hope) x

      Delete
    2. Definitely. Your descriptions of family life in amongst the style stuff (which is great), and general sense of humour makes it a really enjoyable blog to follow. Keep up the good work. I am two years on the 'wrong' side of fifty now and i don't have any friends who are remotely interested in clothes (what is wrong with these people?) - so it's nice to hear from someone who is.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, shame my family don't share my sense of humour. Where I live, most women do seem to have an interest in fashion. I love going out with friends (we're all very different) and cooing over each other's outfits. Much more interesting than talking politics and referendums x

      Delete
  3. Oh. dear. god. No!!! I don't even like the look of them on the models. Overalls/dungarees (whatever you want to call them are for paints/decorators only!!!) sorry:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And for Rod Jane & Freddy in Rainbow too!! Thanks for your input Savvysista x

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Don't be sorry Jessica, I asked for input and I'm not 100% certain myself but might give them a try and then banish them to the eBay pile x

      Delete
  5. No Donna. Please do not wear them. Buy something else in that color if you love it. I think they may be offered for wear by a younger generation than we.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I love the fact that they've provoked such a reaction. Interestingly though Ichi is aimed at a more mature audience. So they've possibly got it wrong on a big scale this time. Let's blame them shall we x

      Delete
  6. I like the advice "urban rather than agricultural" and I think I know where you're coming from about styling them with a blazer but I think the colour is a little too "nude" or "antler". I think you need something with more oomph. Hit me with another pair and let's talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've brought a 'washed' black pair home today but *cough* there's definitely a camel's toe going on so they're a no. I'm a bit mey about the style but I love the colour (I'm obviously in the minority) x

      Delete
  7. As a fan of the colour brown, I often wondered what colour sludge brown looked like, Jeepers, I think you've found it. I normally love your style. When it comes to dungarees I think they are for teens, maybe early 20's. Beyond that they just look wrong to me (in my humble non fashionista opinion). Sorry. I really do love your style though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina, don't be sorry. I'm tough and can take it (sob). Honestly it's not sludge brown in real life, more a dusky pink (blame the camera). To me, sludge brown is that greyey wishy washy brown that no one looks good in. And I'll NEVER EVER wear it (otherwise I'll have to end the blog). Thanks for your lovely comments x

      Delete
  8. Hi Donna, I think the dungarees look great. You have the right shape for them and the colour suits you too. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeay, we have a thumbs up. Thanks Anna although you and I are in the minority. The colour really is lovely in real life too x

      Delete
  9. Well thank goodness I'm not the only one who's thinking 'Noooooooooooooooooo' ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh be quiet you ;-) we all know your hate of dungs

      Delete