$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

5.21.2016

Fending Off Fifty: Let's Start At The Very Beginning & A Cordial Invite To All My Readers

It would seem given the number of emails and comments I received regarding my last blog post that getting older is a hot topic. Please do feel free to join in and more importantly chip in as we explore what it all means in this youth obsessed world that we live in today.

I'm going to kick start my Fending Off Fifty campaign with a product review. Now come on don't all groan at once, stay with me on this one. I'd feel the same way, 'ugh, she's plugging something already'. I promise that I'll give you a 100% honest review on everything that I try. Next time I'm going to tell you about some fairly big changes I've already made to my skin care routine with some very mixed results. Watch out for that one, warts and all.

So, the husband recently introduced me to a chap he knows, Laurence Newman founder of CurrentBody. There's little he doesn't know about the health and beauty technology industry. To say it was fascinating to hear how this market is developing is an understatement. One of the things that struck me about Laurence is his honesty and integrity. And this is indeed a philosophy that CurrentBody adopt with all of their products. Take the vlog that brand manager, Emily filmed about Microdermabrasion: Home Vs Salon. She's very open about that fact that you're paying a professional in a salon to undertake the treatment whereas a home treatment such as the PMD which is sold by CurrentBody is effective but does take time and effort to learn how to use it properly. And, that the strength of a salon dermabrasion is more powerful than the home version. Basically you're given the information and facts up front so that you can make an informed decision.

If you're anything like me, you'll be more than a bit sceptical about claims that this product or that product will change your life. I'm fed up of shelling out money on things that don't live up to their name and am still scarred from spending over £500 on NuSkin products that did sod all. And as for everyday products, take Radox shower gel for example, the pink one is uplifting, the green one, refreshing and the orange, reviving. And what do I feel when I step out of the shower? Nothing. I don't feel any different, uplifted, refreshed or revived. Just wet.

And bleach. Pink blossom, citrus, apple spice. But they all smell the bloomin same. Like bleach. I think I should point out that I don't actually use bleach on my face. It's merely to illustrate a point. Glad we got that sorted.

I digress.

Laurence gave me a Clarisonic Mia 2 to play with.

This one.



Clarisonic Mia 2 



Now I'm not new to these face brushes. We got a free Babyliss one with a foot spa years ago (says a lot doesn't it). I can only bear to use it once in a blue moon. Think sandpaper, we're talking extra coarse variety. It draws blood it does.

But open mind and all here's my review.

What do you get?
  • The Clarisonic device
  • Sensitive brush head
  • Charger with a three pin UK plug (if bought in the UK)
  • Travel case
  • 30ml gel cleanser
What does it claim to do?

In a nutshell, 

The 300+ micro movements per second are the optimum sonic frequency to deliver brush movement that massages the dirt, oil and make-up from your pores. When these impurities are removed the skin feels softer and smoother and becomes healthier and more radiant.

So basically it's a battery operated face brush that deep cleans the skin.

Clarisonic also claim that there are anti-agin benefits to using this device on a regular basis. Basically, regular cleansing doesn't remove the build up of make up and grime which settles in the fine lines and as a result, exaggerates them. Apparently 80% of women using a Clarisonic have reported an improvement in skin tone, texture, firmness and elasticity. I really like that number!!!

Their photo, not mine.

How do you use it?

After removing make-up, moisten skin and add a small amount of cleanser (the one provided or your own), switch on the device and off you go. The Clarisonic beeps at intervals so that you know when to move on to the next area. This is what is recommended 

Click here for a demonstration video 

The Mia 2 has two settings; delicate and universal (which I think means normal).

Pat your face dry and continue with your normal beauty routine.

Can be used in the shower as it's waterproof (I haven't tested this yet).

I can't find anywhere in the instructions the recommended daily use but I use mine morning and night. And sometimes for more than a minute (shhhhh don't tell anyone). 


Device Care

Very low maintenance actually. Rinse the device after use. It recommends removing the brush head once a week to rinse the inside. I tend to do this ever day as it's easy to clip off. I leave it out to dry naturally.



The device requires recharging after 24 minutes of use. The charger is magnetically attached to the device - even I can do that, it's simple!


My Experience

Well first of all, the simplicity got me. I thought I was doing it all wrong because it really is dead easy. After using the cheese grater Babyliss version intermittently for years, I was distinctly underwhelmed with the feel of the Clarisonic. It didn't actually feel as if it was doing anything. A slight tickle of the brushes and that was it.



My Results

So after using it for the first time and being somewhat disappointed, I rinsed off the cleanser and dried my face. This is when I got it (a Eureka moment) and immediately understood what the hype is all about. Magically, my skin felt so soft and smooth. It was as if I'd had a full-on microdermabrasion treatment. But how could something so underwhelming have such a fantastic result after using it JUST ONCE? I don't know and I don't care. What I do know is that my make-up glides over my skin and looks so much better. And my skin products seem to soak in much better too. Chuffed to say the least.

I also suffer with little white heads (milia) on the cheeks. They've all gone!

It took me ages to realise that as well as cleaning the surface of the skin, the vibrations agitate the pores, drawing out the impurities (that's my description by the way).  Hence the reason why some people report breakouts after using the device. 

And as for anti-ageing. Well, surprisingly I have noticed a few less finer lines (even I didn't expect the gadget to get rid of the craters). It's a difficult one to gauge as I'm also using a different skin care regime but I think a combination of both has had an effect. 

I've had the Clarisonic for just over a month now and actually look forward to using it, I can't see this being chucked to the back of the cupboard anytime soon.

Why A Clarisonic

There are many other devices on the market. I have no idea how good they are. But one figure stood out to me, and that is 10 million Clarisonics have been sold since the product came to market. Let's just say that again, 10 million!!!!! 

I've also been visiting a highly acclaimed and commended aesthetic nurse who swears by the Clarisonic. That's good enough for me. She's God.

Negatives

I wish the charger cord had the option to plug in to a bathroom razor plug (probably some sort of health and safety issue).

This is more of a personal preference but I use an oil cleanser and I'm not sure if the oil will clog up the brush head so don't use them together. Which means that I'm cleansing my face twice: once with my regular cleanser and once with the Clarisonic.



So do I feel younger? I guess the answer to that is no, I feel 49. But I love what I see in the mirror, my skin has a glow and as I stated previously, those fine lines, well they look finer. We're on the way to fending off fifty folks.

By the way, I have to mention this product, something I've never come across before. the iluminage Skin Rejuvenating Pillowcase, a Polyester Copper Oxide material that claims to give you younger, smoother looking skin. Wonder if they do duvet covers and flat sheets too?



There's 20% off everything at CurrentBody using code CB20

And finally, an invite for you lovely ladies. I've had so many comments and emails from lots of women about this series of posts and it struck me that you can't speak with each other. Doesn't seem fair that I get all this lovely information. So, I've set up a closed Facebook group for anyone interested in staying young. It's called Holding Back The Years (why can't I type this without singing like Mick Hucknall?). I'd love for you to join. It doesn't matter if there are 3 of us or 300 - it will be a lovely way to chat about a common interest. Obviously I need to have one friend join otherwise I'll be chatting to myself!?!

Here's the link, please feel free to invite your friends too and lets explore this age thing together xx


Do drop by and say hello.


9 comments on "Fending Off Fifty: Let's Start At The Very Beginning & A Cordial Invite To All My Readers"
  1. I love mine but the brushes aren't cheap to replace a bit like the razor and blade model. I think of it as a sonicare toothbrush for your face! Same principle x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much are they in the US Joanna? I fancy the deep pore head next time. Just had a look at the price which is £21 less 20% discount so £16.80 which I didn't think was too bad. I never use my Sonicare - how bad is that!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Donna! On and off, I've thought about Clarisonic but worried it was just a gimmicky thing that I'd use twice and then let languish in the depths of my bathroom cupboard! Your post has motivated me to get one, as I know I never clean my skin properly and as you say, it catches up to you with age! Quick question, do you use something else to remove makeup first and then use your regular cleaner with the Clarisonic? Or do wash twice with your regular cleaner (first with water, then with Clarisonic?? Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Circadia by Dr Pugliese oil cleanser with a hot face cloth, then go on to the Clarisonic Edie. The cleanser and face cloth get rid of the make up and the Clarisonic does the deep down bit. I've read that you can use the Clarisonic straight over make up though, it won't affect it. I prefer to remove mine first x

      Delete
  3. This is one gadget that I absolutely love, and at 62, I probably have a few more lines to clean on my face than you do. I stock up on the heads when Sephora or Nordstrom have them on sale once a year here in the US, which makes it quite affordable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're over in the US soon so might just stock up too Judy x

      Delete
  4. I'm a confirmed sceptic about such things but for some reason (maybe the words 20% off), I succumbed and bought a Clarisonic after reading your post. My heart sank when I used it, because it really didn't seem to be doing anything but, oh my goodness, I see what you mean! I have only used it twice and it has made such a difference to the texture of my skin. I love it. I use a make up remover wipe (am I allowed to say that on here?) to take off my make up first and then use the Clarisonic with my usual face wash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no bigger sceptic than me Frances. As you know, I had that very same feeling when I first used the Clarisonic. It felt like baby's first brush against my cheek. Seriously!!! And then the penny drops doesn't it. Trouble is, I keep stroking my face which I'm sure isn't great for transferring bacteria lol. And as for make up removers, I have a theory...providing the oil/lotion in the wipe is washed off, what's the harm??? x

      Delete
  5. Yes, I'm right with you on the face stroking!! With luck, people seeing me do it are thinking that they would do the same if their skin was as soft-looking as mine because the alternative is that they just think I'm a bit weird!

    ReplyDelete