A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

5.16.2016

Project Fending Off Fifty

I've been planning this post for ages. Today I am 49 1/2 years old, that means exactly 6 months to my 50th Birthday (ouch, that hurts). I've probably thought about the 5 and the 0 every day since turning 45. To say I'm not looking forward to it is an understatement. I mean 50? That's positively ancient isn't it. I can remember my Nan being that age. White hair, wrinkles, crimplene trousers - is this what my life is coming to?

Please tell me no.



So instead of dwelling on the ageing process, I'm planning on doing something about it and I hope you will stick around as I explore what it all means and what I can do about it (if anything).

I've made a list. I love lists. And this is what I'm going to tackle over the next 6 months. A few things I've already changed, some things, I may not need to change

1. Beauty routines - day and evening (and everything in-between)
2. Fitness - what do I do now, what am I aiming to do
3. Diet - an honest look at my diet and changes I need to make
3. Make-up - I've kept to the same routine for 10 years now, an update is needed
4. Clothes - do I need to exchange my skinnies for crimplenes (and other questions)
5. Wellbeing - working towards a positive state of mind (mumbo jumbo yes?)
6. Anything else that crops up out of the woodwork

Don't worry there won't be an extreme makeover reveal or anything in November. It's more about the journey.

So I'm keeping an open mind and I'm prepared to try anything. Call me gullible but if someone told me that injecting pigs blood in to the eye balls would prevent boob sag, I'd give it a go.

I'll update you on my progress a couple of times a month and please feel free to chip in if you're feeling as age-sensitive as me (however old you are)!!!!

The first post in this series is an addition to my beauty routine - something so easy to use and has made a real difference.

More on that next time.




16 comments on "Project Fending Off Fifty"
  1. Highly recommend Caroline Hirons website as a starting point for reviewing your skincare routine. The content can be a bit overwhelming to start with but if you look at her day and night routine and compare to your own, then you can start looking at individual products to fill the gaps/change. My skin has improved so much since I started using an acid toner and a retinol night cream, and I learnt about them in her website. Good luck - look forward to reading more about these positive steps towards 5-0.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire I've dipped in and out of her website and she has some really good stuff on there. I've got my own real life Caroline Hiron now and I'll be writing about that in the next few weeks. Retinol is ace isn't it. x

      Delete
  2. OMG Donna what a timely post .. I was just doing this countdown in my head as a lot of my friends are 50 this year and I have a year to go! I too would recommend Caroline Hirons (Skincare) and also Sali Hughes (Skincare/makeup). My kids gave me Sali Hughes book 'Pretty Honest' for Mothers Day its a fab read…Best Wishes (another) Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only recently come across Sali Hughes, she's another knowledgeable woman isn't she Donna. Seems I'm not on my own in trying to hold back the years ha ha x

      Delete
  3. I am really looking forward to your fifties plan, Donna. Can I comment on number five? On my countdown to fifty I wasnt filled with enthusiasm about ageing. But now five years on I feel happier and more confident than i did in my forties despite having a few more wrinkles, grey hairs (regularly coloured!) and a slightly larger waist! I try to have a decent skincare routine and regular hair appointments and have been working on having a good wardrobe but my diet and excercise habits leave much room for improvement! I just hope it doesn't sound self righteous to say that I've come to think of getting older as a bonus and a privilege that not everyone is lucky enough to enjoy and that I appreciate what I have more than ever before, and that gratitude does bring contentment (much of the time anyway). I will be following your anti ageing plan with interest. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a brilliant brilliant attitude Elaine. For me, it's not just about holding back the ageing process, it's getting to the state of acceptance and being able to embrace my 50s. I love the fact that you say it's a privilege to reach this age. Please please do keep chipping in as I think I can learn a lot from you x

      Delete
    2. Ah that's lovely of you! Just wanted to let you know that this side of fifty really is a good place to be once you're here. Ideally I'd just like to look the best I can for my age. I still really enjoy the quest to look chic and well maintained. It seems to take a bit longer now, hair, skin nails, where does it end? Any tips to speed up maintenance gratefully received. I also need motivation to trim down and get fitter, mainly to fight that stubborn muffin top whick irks me. The dressing part is still great fun and I haven't changed my style drastically, just avoid a few things that dont do me any favours and I still wear jeans too much but will carry on as they suit my lifestyle. Your blog really hits the mark for user friendly style advice. I really look forward to reading your posts. Good luck with your fifties plan. We're out here following along xx

      Delete
    3. All taken on board Elaine, we'll try to tackle them together. Thank you for your lovely words. It's comments like this that keep me going xx

      Delete
  4. I will be reading with interest as you see by my title name I am nearly there myself! I I have been asking myself the same questions can I still wear skinny jeans and actually now look for blogs from woman nearer to my age as the ones by early 40's women although they are very good I feel I have moved into another zone and can't get away with wearing some of the stuff I could in my early 40's. For me this feels the hardest age heading into the menopause I never even knew it can last for years!! I agree with Elaine above it is a bonus and must be appreciated and embraced. I think what is happening now is so much emphasis is put on age and trying to stay as young looking as possible. I try to focus on looking the best I can. I look my age but so what I have nearly 50 years of life on this face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, the dressing thing is probably the hardest thing. Am I ok as I am? Do I need to tweak my wardrobe or change everything? It's so hard being objective about oneself isn't it. I agree about it being the hardest decade to enter. There really should be another 10 years between 49 and 50. Hopefully between us, we'll come up with some answers in the next 6 months.

      Delete
  5. Will be following your progress with interest and here is tip #1 that I was given just last weekend, by an annoyingly wrinkle free friend of 48. Apparently Imedeen tablets are the way to go! Your skin stops producing collagen over the age of 40, so daily intake of these tablets can not only help this, but also undo the damage that has already been done. Gotta tell you, she had me convinced. Wrinkle free, I tell you! Even around then eyes xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of them Helen. And now of course I need them by the bucket load. So are you going to give them a go? I will if you will x

      Delete
  6. Can a 69 year old comment? Your list is spot on. However, I suggest you add something about cognitive fitness. It is really important to exercise your brain. If you have a demanding job, then you use your memory and problem solving skills all the time. If your job is more routine, or if you are retired, you could consider learning something new - maybe an evening class.
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely any age can join in Ruth. And you've made a very good point, one that I'd totally forgotten so I shall be adding it to the list. I wish I had time to pursue hobbies and interests but I guess this will come later when the children leave home (they tell me they're never leaving by the way). But you are so right, it's important to exercise the brain. I take it deciding which pair of shoes I should buy next doesn't count??? x

      Delete
  7. Love your blog and this post. I'm look forward to reading more about your turn to 50, just like me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Denise. Hope you enjoy them. Feel free to chip in if you think there's something we should be looking at x

      Delete