$

A fashion and style blog for the over 40s covering body shapes, colour palettes, how to wear neutrals, style personality and capsule wardrobes. Come on in!

5.13.2016

The Holiday Season Is Nearly Upon Us (PANIC)

It's hurtling towards us at a rate of knots, the holiday season that is. Look, we're virtually in to the middle of May already so it's just a matter of weeks before we'll be packing our bags. I had a quick look at swimwear earlier today and OMG so much of it has already sold out. Why that surprises me I don't know. M&S are advertising a selection of their Autumn collection and some of it has already been picked over. Arghhhhhhhh why do we do it? 

We've got a family holiday planned in July (another mixture of City sightseeing and beach bumming) and hubby and I are going to the South of France for a couple of nights in 4 weeks. I think I've got most of my wardrobe sorted, there are a few holes but it's in reasonably good shape. One of the things I'm always on the hunt for is a good day dress particularly for the sightseeing part of the hol. 

I picked this one up before we went to Dubai in February from my friend's boutique. 




It's from Manchester based brand, Glamorous. If you click on the link above, you'll see that it's aimed at the younger end of the market (the very young) but this dress is perfectly acceptable for my end of the age spectrum too.

The bad news is that it's full on nylon. I certainly wouldn't recommend sitting next to the camp fire in this one. But the style is so flattering, hiding belly, bum and thighs all at once. Now that's clever!





I could quite happily fill my summer wardrobe with this shape of dress, the shift. 

This one from TK Maxx looks a similar shape.


The little cap sleeve arms are great for balancing out anyone with narrow shoulders as they give the illusion of width. Sadly I fear being broad, the dress will do nothing for me. 

Don't you think stripes are the epitome of summer holidays? And this would be super versatile. Wedge sandals and a handbag for a laid back evening look, comfy shoes and a tote for shopping and flip flops and beach bag for a seaside day. 



Ditto this one too.



Slightly on the shorter side from Zara now but how fresh is the blue pattern and would look gorgeous with flat tan sandals. 




Back to Mango Outlet for this bright orange one (they say red). I thought we'd exhausted the outlet the other week but over looked this one.



At first glance, I loved this next one from New Look but busty ladies might struggle with the high neck. That Broiderie design though (I think I'm in love). 



Sticking with New Look (who knew they had such fab stuff), this next one gives a little arm coverage. It's also a cool cotton/linen mix. 



Similar to mine and now megally reduced.




And from ASOS, a lovely, lovely navy dress from the tall range. Thing is, the model is 2 1/2 inches taller than me and I want it to hit the thigh at exactly the same point. Not going to work is it? 




I tend to shy away from belts but this one caught my eye. There are too many negatives for me though: the length (although it's available in the tall range) and the sleeves are too long)




I always forget about & Other Stories, love this all cotton dress which looks so comfortable. 




A slightly looser fit, oh ok then bordering on billowing from Next.



And in black


Notes about shift dresses

*The straight cut is perfect for women without waists or those with a straight up an down body shape

* Remember, curvy ladies will lose their waist definition and may look bigger than they really are, hence the reason why I included the white one with the belt above

* Make sure that the dress finishes at the most flattering part of your leg, often the knee

* Sleeves can be used to correct the body shape - cap sleeves balance out wider hips and bottoms whilst cut away arms are great for narrowing broad shoulders

* With careful planning, a shift dress can be a key holiday wardrobe piece working for both day and night. Or rather night and day. Beach to bar doesn't cut it for me. Eweeeeeeeee, think about it, sun cream, sand, ice cream and I'm then expected to wear it that evening too. No thanks. I'd much rather wear it one evening and relegate it to day wear further down the holiday.

I'd love to take a whole suitcase full of easy wear shift dresses on my hols. How about you? 

Phew Friday you're so welcome. It's been a busy one. I mentioned on Instagram a couple of weeks ago that I have a pile of decorating clothes though I never get a paint brush out. Well those words came back to bite me on my bum didn't they. Let down by our decorator, I've spent the whole week prepping and painting the office. One last push tomorrow and I reckon we'll be done. Although we still have to source a double workstation desk thingy. Off to a Euro Vision party tomorrow night (please don't let me get the UK in the sweep). And then friends and I have got our 5k Race For Life on Sunday. Going to start training in earnest tomorrow.

Have a good weekend.



Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment